PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote desktop server (with ssh?)

whoobuntu_owl
October 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I have a desktop (personal) that I'd like to set up a remote desktop connection into. I used to use XP Pro's remote desktop server, and I was wondering if there's anything like that for ubuntu.

I already have sshd installed, but that doesn't allow me to use graphical applications (e.g. pidgin) that are already running on the machine. Is there a way to have a secure remote desktop connection? I've heard bad things about VNC in that regard, and I'll be connecting mainly through an insecure wireless connection, so I would like a secure link.

Thanks!

elitenoobboy
October 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have a desktop (personal) that I'd like to set up a remote desktop connection into. I used to use XP Pro's remote desktop server, and I was wondering if there's anything like that for ubuntu.

I already have sshd installed, but that doesn't allow me to use graphical applications (e.g. pidgin) that are already running on the machine. Is there a way to have a secure remote desktop connection? I've heard bad things about VNC in that regard, and I'll be connecting mainly through an insecure wireless connection, so I would like a secure link.

Thanks!
Have you tried Applications > Internet > Remote Desktop Viewer

You can set up the password for the server at System > Preferences > Remote Desktop.