PDA

View Full Version : Dell Mini Inspiron 9: Now "build yours with Ubuntu" for $40 less than with Windows

aysiu
October 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Whoa! When did this (see attached screenshot) happen?

snowpine
October 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Whoa! When did this (see attached screenshot) happen?

:guitar:

maybe Dell read your blog?

aysiu
October 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
:guitar:

maybe Dell read your blog?
My blog was actually defending the price difference, so I doubt that did anything. Maybe they just realized the best way for Ubuntu to take off was to have it as reasonable prices, even if they lose money on it initially (short-term v. long-term).

After all, why sell a product if you don't expect it to sell well?

snowpine
October 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
I wonder if this affects the "sweet spot" for pricing... seems like the $349 base model is not such a good deal any more. I wonder what people who preordered at the old price think of all this? If Dell gives the price break to the "early adopters" I think they will have some very happy customers. :)

All I know was that $409 for the top model is a great price, I think I will be pulling the trigger as soon as they start shipping and I read a few good reviews here on the Forum. I'm envisioning a dual boot between the special Dell Ubuntu with Ubuntu Studio audio applications (for serious work) and SliTaz (for getting online in 20-30 seconds to check my email).

wolfkeeper
October 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
So now the system I ordered is $40 more, without Bluetooth. And the Bluetooth option is only $20 extra.

WTF?

snowpine
October 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
So now the system I ordered is $20 more, without Bluetooth.

WTF?

Don't worry, I'm sure Dell will take care of you... the last thing they want is a customer-service fiasco. They are just too smart about business. And if they give you a hard time, just cancel your pre-order and re-pre-order at the new price! ;)

What it appears they are actually trying to do is up-sell you to the next model. They want you to say "why should I order the 4gb for $349 if I can get the 8gb for $359?" Well if everyone spends $10 extra, that adds up quickly for them. And then the next step is upgrade to the 16gb. I will bet you anything they adjusted the prices based on sales data from the preorders so far. (Probably they were selling more Ubuntu 4g's which people were then upgrading to 8 or 16g's, which is more expensive for them to fill the custom order rather than just making a stock Ubuntu 8 or 16g at an attractive price. There's no way I can look at this as anything other than a sign the Ubuntu models were selling well.)

anjilslaire
October 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM
This thing gets better & better...

ArKay
October 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
So, I was ambling about on the Dell site and found something interesting.

You can now buy the mid and upper level prebuilt mini 9s - but with a button that says 'build it with Ubuntu for xxx' - which happens to be $40 less than the XP version. :shock:

Maybe they are actually reimaging prebuilt XP systems with Ubuntu now. MAYBE it's even a hope that the Ubuntu build is done and all those delayed systems will start shipping (he says crossing his fingers).

wolfkeeper
October 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Maybe they realized no Ubuntu user would want a minimum spec Mini 9 :)

Denimwizard
October 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Re: WolfKeeper

Yeah I maxed mine out on all options except the Blue-tooth, since I have no need for it. In addition I got one of the shoulder bags for it, and even that ships Oct 15th Lol.

zmjjmz
October 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9
See the "Build yours with Ubuntu for 40$ less" buttons?
See them?
Yay!

kevin11951
October 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9
See the "Build yours with Ubuntu for 40$ less" buttons?
See them?
Yay!

Ya, I saw that the other day. I'm so glad that dell is taking a true interest in ubuntu!

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Eh? I see no Ubuntu buttons. All I found is this nice little quote:
Look for Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with custom Dell interface when customizing your Inspiron Mini 9, or upgrade to Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP*emphasis mine*

zmjjmz
October 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Eh? I see no Ubuntu buttons. All I found is this nice little quote: *emphasis mine*

Look harder man.

Also, I don't see said quote.

kevin11951
October 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
for the blind:

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 09:33 PM
for the blind:

Don't assume a link to a site gets you the same thing you saw. That link leads to a description and testiminials page, not that page.

gletob
October 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
where did the camera option go?

kevin11951
October 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Don't assume a link to a site gets you the same thing you saw. That link leads to a description and testiminials page, not that page.

what link? i just googled the mini

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Look harder man.

Also, I don't see said quote.
Look at your link ;)

EDIT: What's going on?! The page changed to what it should be...

twisted_steel
October 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Look at your link ;)

EDIT: What's going on?! The page changed to what it should be...

I don't get it either. Somehow the first time I went there, it was on the 2nd tab, and the next time, it was on the first tab that the OP was referring to.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
where did the camera option go?

Where was it?

When ordering, you can customize it and you have a choice of two cameras.