PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Configure Sound After Minimal/Custom Install

spooky655
October 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I did a hardy cli install not too long ago and tried to get a lighter ubuntu by just installing essentials (gdm, gnome, synaptic, xorg, firefox, etc.). That worked out fine and I noticed a speed increase, but, unfortunately, my sound wasn't working. I tried installing every sound package from a regular ubuntu install to no success. I was wondering how to configure sound like the CD seems to do when I do a normal install from that.

Girya
October 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I did a hardy cli install not too long ago and tried to get a lighter ubuntu by just installing essentials (gdm, gnome, synaptic, xorg, firefox, etc.). That worked out fine and I noticed a speed increase, but, unfortunately, my sound wasn't working. I tried installing every sound package from a regular ubuntu install to no success. I was wondering how to configure sound like the CD seems to do when I do a normal install from that.

Have you checked to see that sound is not muted in alsamixer?

in a terminal type: alsamixer and you can adjust levels from there. It might not be your problem but its easy to check

spooky655
October 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Well, I had tested building up from a base install on both a virtual machine and a desktop and I'm pretty sure I tried unmuting it, as well as installing multiple packages suggested from different forums. I don't have it install at the moment so I can't really test anything. I just thought if there was something that you had to do that I didn't know about, it would be great if someone could tell me. But there must be a lot of people who build their install from a base install so it should be common knowledge shouldn't it? Unless it just me. But if the CD can get it working, then why can't I?

spooky655
October 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
bump

spooky655
October 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I just thought of something. Is it possible that everything was installed and configured properly, but there's some service that doesn't start up by default that you need for sound?

spooky655
October 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM
bump