PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu having it's own Desktop Environment?

Hyside
October 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I was thinking yesterday about what could really separate Ubuntu from other Linux distributions, because most of them use the Gnome or KDE desktop. I started wondering about the possibility of Ubuntu having its own desktop environment. I know that common desktop environments help to bring a sense of familiarity between linux distros, but I just think that Ubuntu having its own desktop environment would help to set Ubuntu apart.
Your thoughts?

christianvaldes
October 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
My opinion is why keep inventing the wheel. Thou mind you that comes from someone who is not a developer and spends enough time learning how the existing systems work.

I've often wondered how much of the backends tools are actually incorporated in the MS Products...makes you wonder what is behind the source code but again who really has time to investigate that sort of thing.

hardyn
October 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Agreed, Why start again...

So much development time into kde, gnome, xcfe, and others... why create one more that requires development, debugging, integration, etc. Time could be better spend on other things.

Hyside
October 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Agreed, Why start again...

So much development time into kde, gnome, xcfe, and others... why create one more that requires development, debugging, integration, etc. Time could be better spend on other things.

Never really looked at it like that, heh