View Full Version : [ubuntu] White light trails coming out right side of windows

October 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums :D

I'm having a weird problem with my desktop. I could not seem to find much mention of it anywhere, although I did see one or two related posts with no solutions.

My windows (and icons) seem to shoot a white-ish trail out the right, from the top of the window all the way to the bottom. It's sort of hard to explain. It's as if white pixels on the screen cause pixels to the right of them to become brighter, in an effect which fades gradually with distance.

It's sort of subtle, but once noticed, very annoying! I hope I've conveyed the phenomenon -- I can always elaborate or maybe doctor a picture for further illustration if necessary.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card. I'm running the latest proprietary drivers, but the problem persists with the community drivers and also in different resolutions. My monitor is a 1680x1050 @ 60Hz HP.

I have no such problem in Vista/XP on the same machine.

Not sure if it's related, but I'm also having great difficulty adjusting the contrast/brightness (again, no such problem in Windows).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

October 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Are you running Compiz? If so, try disabling it.

October 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm not using Compiz, because it gives serious issues on my machine. In particular, it causes OpenGL to flicker and movies to lag very badly. I wish it did work though!

October 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Is the monitor CRT (old tube) od LCD/TF (flat)

October 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
It's an LCD monitor.