PDA

View Full Version : Software to overclock a CPU??

Pogeymanz
October 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
How exactly does this work? I've heard of people overclocking Dells and HPs using some software in Windows. Is this the same as overclocking in the BIOS (if that were an option, of course)?

And let's say I overclock using that Windows software in a Windows partition. Would the CPU be overclocked if I booted into a different partition? What if I eventually wiped the partition where I ran this software?

I guess what I'm asking is: is this software ACTUALLY overclocking your CPU?

Lord Xeb
October 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Overclocking inside windows is roughly the same as overclocking from the bios. But if you do it from the bios, you can fry your CPU because there isn't anyhting to let you know you have gone too far. Also, the program will only work under windows. If you did through the bios, it will work whenever you boot up as long as you save it.

Canis familiaris
October 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Overclocking inside windows is roughly the same as overclocking from the bios. But if you do it from the bios, you can fry your CPU because there isn't anyhting to let you know you have gone too far. Also, the program will only work under windows. If you did through the bios, it will work whenever you boot up as long as you save it.

Not exactly same.
And Anyways Overclocking does not fry your CPU, overvolting does which is only possible with the BIOS.

mips
October 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
1. Is this the same as overclocking in the BIOS (if that were an option, of course)?

2. And let's say I overclock using that Windows software in a Windows partition. Would the CPU be overclocked if I booted into a different partition?

3. What if I eventually wiped the partition where I ran this software?

4. I guess what I'm asking is: is this software ACTUALLY overclocking your CPU?

1. Yes but it only applies to that OS.

2. No. The settings are lost as soon as you reboot or disable the software.

3. There will be no overclocking, period.

4. Yes, but only when that particular OS the software is loaded in is running.

WARNING: Overclocking can cause physical damage to hardware. You need to monitor temperatures & possibly look at better cooling solutions.

Pogeymanz
October 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Interesting.

Has anyone done this through Wine?

Honestly I wish I could just use a different BIOS. I wouldn't have gotten a Dell, except they're so damn cheap that I couldn't resist!