PDA

View Full Version : Ever swallowed a fly by accident?

Lord DarkPat
October 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I was prcticing badminton the other day, and I went to the water cooler to fill my water bottle. When i drank from it, I felt n unusual sensation in my mouth, and I just swallowed. My friend then said he saw a fly buzzing in there. I had an epic "..." moment. :|

Artificial Intelligence
October 4th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Ever swallowed a fly by accident?

Topic of the month!

TravisNewman
October 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
First thing I thought of:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/buginmouth.html

But no, never have. Got a bug of some kind kinda deep in my ear once, that wasn't fun.

Lord DarkPat
October 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Topic of the month!

:D:lol::-\"
ZOMG YYAYYAY

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I am a vegan.

Artificial Intelligence
October 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I am a vegan.

Well, LaRoza...you don't if you swollow a fly by accident. The fly can't know that you're a vegan :popcorn:

Hutom
October 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Swallowed...yes. But ummm...was it an accident? :biggrin:

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Well, LaRoza...you don't if you swollow a fly by accident. The fly can't know that you're a vegan :popcorn:

I don't believe in accidents.

Jim!
October 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Yep. I was riding my bike when it happened. I hope it never happens again, but this is Australia and Summer is approaching so I'm sure there's many more flys to swallow!

Lord DarkPat
the the most hypocritical statement I have ever heard (no offense, please don't ban me)

4Orbs
Motorcycle enthusiasts learn to appreciate the different flavors of bugs. Bees taste sweet and not at all bad. Grasshoppers taste terrible.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM
the the most hypocritical statement I have ever heard (no offense, please don't ban me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Jim!
October 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM

But what about when you sleep? Because I remember hearing something about eating spiders while we sleep, they just crawl right in. Also, since your Vegan how do you get you vitamin b12?

Canis familiaris
October 4th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Yep. I was riding my bike when it happened. I hope it never happens again, but this is Australia and Summer is approaching so I'm sure there's many more flys to swallow!

You were not wearing a helmet? BAN&

Canis familiaris
October 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
But what about when you sleep? Because I remember hearing something about eating spiders while we sleep, they just crawl right in. Also, since your Vegan how do you get you vitamin b12?

Vegans are recommended to ensure their diet includes foods fortified with vitamin B12. A range of B12 fortified foods are available. These include yeast extracts, Vecon vegetable stock, veggieburger mixes, textured vegetable protein, soya milks, vegetable and sunflower margarines, and breakfast cereals

Lord DarkPat
October 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I'm vegetarian. And, I forgot to mention, it was a housefly. I was stung by a bee a while back. I'm masochistic about bee stings, I don't know why :|

jrusso2
October 4th, 2008, 07:11 AM

I think everyone that has a motor bike has eaten some bugs or at least had to pick them out of their teeth.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Yes, everyone remembers that. Why? Because it was a rumour to show how easy it is to make something "common knowledge". http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/whileyousleep.html

Every see a spider? They do not crawl onto large warm bodies and find caves with damp airflow to crawl into.

Don't believe the FDA and whatever. They are bought. I don't want to get into a "how do you..." thing about being a vegan. It gets _really_ old, especially the old "what about protein".

Lord DarkPat
October 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
A! I meant unbelievable....I make such mistakes when I type a word when I think of another,

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
A! I meant unbelievable....I make such mistakes when I type a word when I think of another,

That makes more sense :-)

(I like that scene though)

Trail
October 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
The worst is when you inhale a tiny fly through your nose. It's like, yuck.

billgoldberg
October 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I was prcticing badminton the other day, and I went to the water cooler to fill my water bottle. When i drank from it, I felt n unusual sensation in my mouth, and I just swallowed. My friend then said he saw a fly buzzing in there. I had an epic "..." moment. :|

Once when I was on my bike.

It tasted horrible.

mips
October 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
To many to remember.

Also had a bug in my ear, that day I went beserk, no kidding. Not a nice experience.

t0p
October 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
On a related note: when I was a young 'un, I went cycling in the countryside. I was free-wheeling down this long slope, built up loads of speed and was really motoring... when a big fly committed suicide by flying into my face.

I was wearing spectacles, which was a good thing cos otherwise I'd probably have been blinded by the damned insect. As it was, I nearly lost control of my bicycle but luckily I didn't crash (at that speed I would have been pretty mangled). And I had to wipe gloopy fly guts off my specs - I had to use my t-shirt, so I rode home with nasty yellow bug intestines all down my front. Yuck!

philliptweedie
October 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/oldlady.htm

Memories.....

(Not of eating bugs, Nursery rhymes I mean!)

Liviu-Theodor
October 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Maybe LaRoza thinks an accident is an unhappy chain of events? As in the "Air crash investigation" from the "National Geographic Channel"?

And to reply to the question: I don't think I swallowed a fly, but al least one got in one of my nostrils. Nasty.

SunnyRabbiera
October 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I swallowed flies, gnats and some other bugs by accident on many occasions.

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Once I got a beef Manhattan at my work cafeteria. As I was eating it, I noticed a small flake of beef in the gravy, which is normal, so I kept eating. A little later, I got a closer look and the spec of beef was a small fly. I didn't eat it, but I would have if I weren't paying attention.

One time when I was young I got an apple from our apple tree. I took a big bite only to find the other half of a worm in the apple. It tasted nasty, very bitter.

Excellent movie. I just watched it about a week ago.

rune0077
October 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I ate a cockroach once. It wasn't by accident though. It had been roasted, and covered with chocolate. Apparently it's some African delicacy, and they were passing them out at a local museum that were doing an African exhibition.

mips
October 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I ate a cockroach once. It wasn't by accident though. It had been roasted, and covered with chocolate. Apparently it's some African delicacy, and they were passing them out at a local museum that were doing an African exhibition.

Maybe try some Mopani worms ;)

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe LaRoza thinks an accident is an unhappy chain of events? As in the "Air crash investigation" from the "National Geographic Channel"?

No, it was mostly a joke (as if I had total control over anything).

Once I got a beef Manhattan at my work cafeteria. As I was eating it, I noticed a small flake of beef in the gravy, which is normal, so I kept eating. A little later, I got a closer look and the spec of beef was a small fly. I didn't eat it, but I would have if I weren't paying attention.

That is nothing, you obviously didn't notice the pieces of dead animal on your plate.

Excellent movie. I just watched it about a week ago.

The entire movie, or that flash movie? It is a good movie.

Canis familiaris
October 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I almost "drank" a roach once...
was drinking soup. I saw something floating with the soup. I thought it was vegetable, I was about to swallow it when I realised it's a R O A C H.

rune0077
October 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Maybe try some Mopani worms ;)

They might be hard to come by in my local area :)

Dr Small
October 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I've swallowed flies on multiple occasions before, although generally, I get hit in the eye.

civillian
October 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Swallowed lots of flies, inhaled some flying beasties, got bees in the eyes...but you know what they say:

you can tell a happy cyclist by the flies on his teeth

alas, I don't put my teeth together when I grin...

DrMega
October 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM

I reckon in the course of my lifetime so far, I've probably swallowed enough flies to make up a decent size family meal of fly stew.

I've never eaten a fly on purpose but plenty have met their demise in my gastric juices while I've been cycling at speed in the summer time. I've also eaten brambles (blackberries) and other wild fruits straight from the bush knowing that many insects will have been in them. It all adds to the protein.

My friend ate a live earthworm recently when I told him that another friend had done so previously (I lied) and that it was a sign of superior masculinity to eat a live earthworm.

I once had a large fly smashed on impact with my eye once. I only found a bit of it afterwards but my eye was really sore. The next morning when I woke up my eye was really really sore, and when I went to wash my face I found the rest of a big fly in my eye. It's carcass had spent the night trapped between my eyeball and the soft tissue that holds my eye in place.

ice60
October 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
everyone has swallowed flies!

at school one of my friends had something fly in to his ear, he could hear it buzzing around trying to get out lol. in the end he went to hospital and they got it out, he brought it back in a jar and it was really big, about 3 inches long :lol:

what are those bloodsucking things called that look a bit like slugs and live in water? my sister managed to get one of them attached to her eye loool

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
what are those bloodsucking things called that look a bit like slugs and live in water? my sister managed to get one of them attached to her eye loool

Aquatic Politicians?

(Leech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leech))

kittywittys
October 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
well...it was more along the lines of a maggot. I was eating a candy bar and I unwrapped half of it and took a bite. then i unwrapped more of it and saw half a maggot wiggling around in the wrapper. I then figured out where the other half was:o i ran to the bathroom and almost threw up.....i didn't finish the candy bar and my brother could not stop laughing about it.

S0VERE1GN
October 6th, 2008, 08:43 PM
for my first job i was a logger, comes with living in rural vermont. Swallowing bugs was common because all the kicked up dirt and sap would attract fruit flies, Horseflies, anything you can think of.

eventually you gain a technique for swallowing them quickly to you can keep hacking away at the trees :-p

S0VERE1GN
October 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
everyone has swallowed flies!

at school one of my friends had something fly in to his ear, he could hear it buzzing around trying to get out lol. in the end he went to hospital and they got it out, he brought it back in a jar and it was really big, about 3 inches long :lol:

They're called leeches. also a synonym for politicians :guitar:

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Aquatic Politicians?

(Leech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leech))

They're called leeches. also a synonym for politicians :guitar:

Must be truth to it, if two people give the same answer...

well...it was more along the lines of a maggot. I was eating a candy bar and I unwrapped half of it and took a bite. then i unwrapped more of it and saw half a maggot wiggling around in the wrapper. I then figured out where the other half was:o i ran to the bathroom and almost threw up.....i didn't finish the candy bar and my brother could not stop laughing about it.

Sorry, I'd laugh too.

kittywittys
October 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Must be truth to it, if two people give the same answer...

Sorry, I'd laugh too.

I laugh now....but I didn't think it was funny back then. this happened like 2 years ago. it still grosses me out but it is funny

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I laugh now....but I didn't think it was funny back then. this happened like 2 years ago. it still grosses me out but it is funny

Well, I am a vegan so I am justifiable disturbed by killing and consumtion of animals, but I don't get why non vegetarians care.

They don't mind eating the flesh of larger animals that have been dead for a while, but are grossed out at eating smaller animals, even though they are healthier.

kittywittys
October 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I am a vegan so I am justifiable disturbed by killing and consumtion of animals, but I don't get why non vegetarians care.

They don't mind eating the flesh of larger animals that have been dead for a while, but are grossed out at eating smaller animals, even though they are healthier.

you know....i never thought of that. thats very true.

Artificial Intelligence
October 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Normally when I eat meat, it's fish.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Normally when I eat meat, it's fish.

Ever eat one by accident?

I used to eat a lot of fish when I was a teenager, however, I preferred tuna out of the can. I don't know, I never liked it with all the stuff people usually put in it and preferred it like that.

Artificial Intelligence
October 6th, 2008, 09:03 PM
codfish
codfish eggs
mostly, but tuna is good also :)

S0VERE1GN
October 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM

tru dat!

i mean, i'm a meat eater but i agree with you there.

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2008, 02:28 PM
That is nothing, you obviously didn't notice the pieces of dead animal on your plate.Pieces of dead animal are savory, and they taste delicious when prepared right, just as long as they aren't invertebrates. Most invertebrates aren't savory, other than a few delicacies that the general population has been brainwashed into thinking are good.

I have even seen Bear Grylls spit out a beetle because he thought it was nasty.

The entire movie, or that flash movie? It is a good movie.I just watched the entire movie about a week and a half ago. That is one of my favorite quotes, though.

And if you have an ethics problem with listening to non-free audio formats, what are you doing watching a non-free video format, like flash? ;)

Lord DarkPat
October 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
These replies are very entertaining...

Lord DarkPat
October 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
for my first job i was a logger, comes with living in rural vermont. Swallowing bugs was common because all the kicked up dirt and sap would attract fruit flies, Horseflies, anything you can think of.

eventually you gain a technique for swallowing them quickly to you can keep hacking away at the trees :-p

I really don't understand the tone of that. How can anyone "get used to swallowing" flies? That is revolting, but maybe it's because I'm vegetarian.

Lord DarkPat
October 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I ate a chicken nugget by accident once.
"You liar, I thought you were vegetarian", my friend
"Why yes I am, how am I a liar, I don't understand that context"
"That's a chicken nugget, you nerd with a fat english"
I threw up on him....
I somehow think he deserved it

Liviu-Theodor
October 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I must recognize, not flies, but I have eaten ants (not anymore), but not as an accident, but as a life experience, even though in my country we do not eat insects. Here LaRoza is right, in Romania there are eaten some animals, even the people know that is not healthy for them.

majorhabib
October 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
What did it taste like?

Tomatz
October 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
No but once a mosquito bit my eyeball while i was asleep (i sometimes sleep with my eyes open). I woke up and the pain was excruciating.

SupaSonic
October 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
No but once a mosquito bit my eyeball while i was asleep (i sometimes sleep with my eyes open). I woke up and the pain was excruciating.

Oh man just picturing it makes me sick. Ugh.

Liviu-Theodor
October 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
What did it taste like?

Ants taste like acidic and barbed things. But not brackish, as I did it several times. At least to my gustative papillae. Maybe I will do it again, if given the chance.