PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do I remove redundant menu entries witha kde desktop

tropdoug
October 4th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Hi there

I am trying the kde desktop environment rather than gnome, still split on my thoughts. Two things bugging me,

1) I have a number of apps I uninstalled whilst using gnome ie genpo but in the kde menu list the launcher is still there. I cannot find a way to remove it and others that are simply overpopulating mu menu lists.

2) there does not appear to be any easy way to either "find" like in gnome from the panel under 'places' or have my external drive 'seagate' listed so that I can easily mount it when I want..

Apreciate any help with these issues.

Thanks

skullmunky
October 4th, 2008, 04:03 AM
The apps you uninstalled; if you launch them from the kde menu do they actually launch? Or is it just the icons are there, but the apps are really gone? What I mean is, did you really uninstall them (like, from Synaptic), or just remove them from the menu in Gnome?

If you want to really uninstall apps, use Synaptic. If you just don't want them cluttering up the menu right now, or if you want to reorganize the K menu, R-Click on the K Menu and go to "Edit Menu".

About Finding:

In Kubuntu they've put in this thing called "Strigi" which is a file find and also indexed search tool. I don't really get how to use it, frankly, but you can try that.

Or, open up Dolphin or Konqueror (for instance, just click your Home icon), go to Tools->Find File. Note that it uses wildcard matching - so if you want to find all your pdf files, you can't just search for "pdf" - you have to search for "*.pdf".

Does your seagate show up either on the Desktop or in "Storage Media" ?