PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Statistics Prediction

askyourpc.com
October 4th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I can't find any accurate up to date statistics of Youtube on the web. I am fascinated by the numbers of videos youtube could have. I used to try to calculate it myself but if you search for "*" you get a limited result such as 1-20 million when it was about 130,000,000 when I used to search. Anyone have a good guess as to how many videos there are, how much is uploaded a day, and what it equates to in bytes.

My guess is that it is at least an Exabyte because they have to back the videos up in more than one place. Any thoughts?

fluteflute
October 4th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I once read that one tenth of all data being downloaded by home PCs in the UK was from YouTube, which I find scary.

Back on topic, Wikipedia says:
Few statistics are publicly available regarding the number of videos on YouTube. However, in July 2006, the company revealed that more than 100 million videos were being watched every day, and 2.5 billion videos were watched in June 2006. 50,000 videos were being added per day in May 2006, and this increased to 65,000 by July.

And apparently "One exabyte is the equivalent of about 50,000 years of DVD quality video". Obviously YouTube isn't DVD quality (mostly anyway) but it must have years worth of video!

EnGorDiaz
October 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I once read that one tenth of all data being downloaded by home PCs in the UK was from YouTube, which I find scary.

Back on topic, Wikipedia says:

And apparently "One exabyte is the equivalent of about 50,000 years of DVD quality video". Obviously YouTube isn't DVD quality (mostly anyway) but it must have years worth of video!

and yet its mostly crap that ppl complain about

you know as encyclopediadramatica puts it

"crap that no one cares about"

and yet i have a youtube channel

pp.
October 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
"One exabyte is the equivalent of about 50,000 years of DVD quality video". Obviously YouTube isn't DVD quality (mostly anyway) but it must have years worth of video!

If the quality is lower, the duration usually is higher. Thus, an exabyte might become something on the order of 500'000 years of substandard video. That's half a million years. Humans could have evolved in that time span.

smoker
October 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
That's half a million years. Humans could have evolved in that time span.

seems we're all too busy watching youtube to evolve :lolflag: