PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] sound won't output from USB speakers

Doug77
October 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron 64-bit, dual booted with Vista, on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. I just bought some Logitech S-150 USB speakers and I'm having problems getting them to work in Ubuntu (they work in Vista fine, so it's not a speaker problem).

In Ubuntu, when I plugged them in, they immediately gave me the Ubuntu drum sound through the speakers, but sound from music and movies and everything still came through the laptop speakers. I switched all the audio to "USB Audio" in sound preferences, but the sound still came out of the laptop speakers; however, when I clicked the "test" button in sound preferences, when it was set to USB, the sound did come through the USB speakers.

I looked the web around for some solutions, and ended up typing "asoundconf list" in Terminal, which gave me two sound devices: Intel and default. I typed "sudo asoundconf set-default-card default" as I thought "default" would be my USB speakers (when I type "asoundconf list" without the USB speakers plugged in, there is just "Intel"). I got this note: "Please note that you are attempting to run asoundconf as a privileged superuser, which may have unintended consequences." and my USB speakers still didn't work. However, in addition, now when I click on "test" in the sound preferences, when "USB Audio" is selected, I get no sound! Now I get this error message instead:

audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback.

When I unplug the speakers and plug them back in, they still give me the nice Ubuntu drum sound though. I tried typing "asoundconf set-default-sound Intel" to try to reverse the changes, but I still have the same problem!

I'd really appreciate some help with this one! I'm quite frustrated that I WAS able to get a sound when clicking "test" in sound preferences, but now I can't - is there any way to revert my changes? Can anyone help me out here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

markbuntu
October 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM
You need to change the default in PulseAudio Volume Control/Output Devices (pavucontrol) by selecting the usb device and right clicking on it. You can look in my guide here about using the Pulse Audio Volume Control:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

Doug77
October 6th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Thank you so much!! This solved my problem. Specifically, entering "pavucontrol" from alt-f2, then right clicking on a stream and selecting "move stream" to the USB option. It had to be when an application was playing, and I had to do it for every application I wanted to play through the USB, but it's working great now. Thank you so much!!

markbuntu
October 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM
You can change the defauly in the Output Devices section of pavucontrol by right clicking on the usb device. This will default your applications to the speakers and is easily changed back. This will not effect already running applications, but you already know how to change those.

justinjstark
October 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Awesome. Thank you. Now I need to work on getting these Logitech V10's working with flash. Any pointers???

markbuntu
October 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Flash is just another audio stream and should show up in pavucontrol like any other stream.

justinjstark
October 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Flash is just another audio stream and should show up in pavucontrol like any other stream.

Ya, it works now to. Thank you guys.

markbuntu
October 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hey Doug, could you mark this thread as solved using the thread tools. It will help people out if you would do that.

Thanks,

Mark

erikthedrink
September 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
You can also try this. I've got logitech usb speakers too. In Xubuntu, go to Applications, then Accessories, then Terminal. In Terminal, type

asoundconf set-default-card 1

Then close and re-open your browser (Mozilla Firefox) or restart your system.
:P
Note, if you unplug your usb speakers, your laptop speakers will take over. In order to re-establish contact with the usb speakers, you will need to (plug them back in) restart the system.

mermaid
September 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hi,
I've got the same problem with my speakers. I typed the command in terminal, but the answer was: "no command found". What should I do then??? I'm a very new user of Ubuntu, not very handy with it. Thanks for any help.
Mermaid, the girl