PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on formated drive

Gregor Lumpkus
October 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hey all,

I want to put ubuntu on an old laptop. If the drive is totally reformatted, does the ubuntu DVD work as a boot disk? Or if the drive is reformatted, will it not work? Also, will an external DVD drive work if the hard drive is reformatted?

Thanks,
-Gregor

SuperSonic4
October 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
The ubuntu dvd will work whether it's formatted or otherwise

Gregor Lumpkus
October 3rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
So just to clarify, if the hard drive is TOTALLY empty, ubuntu will still be able to boot? And will an external DVD drive work on a totally wiped hard drive? Total newbie question, sorry.

Pumalite
October 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
You are talking about '0ld computer'; so: memory? If your memory is 256 MB of RAM or less better use the Alternate CD. In that case I'd also recommend Xubuntu Alternate CD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/8.04.1/release/

SuperSonic4
October 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Yes to both, if it's a totally empty drive the DVD will boot (in BIOS you set cd/dvd before hard drive in this case to boot the dvd) so the hard drive is irrelevant.

In fact, it's often considered easier to install onto an empty hard drive since you can't overwrite any other data.

Back up any important documents if you have them and reformat

Gregor Lumpkus
October 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah, 256meg ram. So what's the alternate cd?

Pumalite
October 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
It's a text based installer, but very easy to use. You end up with a full Desktop.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20using%20the%20Alternat e%20CD

Gregor Lumpkus
October 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
How/where do I get the alternate CD? And if I use it, is everything the same as if I was going to use the normal CD? I seriously apologize for my lack of knowledge.

cariboo
October 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
The url for the alternate cd is waht Pumalite gave yoyu in his post. The alternate cd uses a text based interface instead of a gui like the live cd. You use the keyboard to navigate using the arrow keys, the tab key and the enter key. It isn't to hard to figure out.

Jim