PDA

View Full Version : When Ibex comes out, are you going to upgrade or do a clean install?

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Well? :)

Ms_Angel_D
October 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I don't know I guess it depends on whether I'v tinkered up my computer at that point or not. If I have then I'll just clean install if I haven't I'll attempt an upgrade and see what happens.

Elephantman5
October 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I seem to clean install like every month.
That's because I'm an unstable person. Doncha Know!

lswest
October 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
I upgraded Hardy on my laptop to Intrepid Alpha 4 and have kept it since, so I guess I upgraded lol :P

artir
October 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Clean install, but I have my /home partition

LaRoza
October 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Clean install, to switch to x64, same home though.

AndyCooll
October 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm going to do a clean install too, though I too have a separate /home partition.

I've tried upgrades in the past, and although I've heard many folk talk of it being simple I guess I'm just jinxed. I've almost always had problems with upgrades. So these days I don't even bother trying that path. I don't make many changes to the default install anyway so it doesn't take long to do a clean install.

:cool:

knattlhuber
October 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
When Ibex comes out...

I'm just gonna wait and see how it works for others :)
I'd do a fresh install should I decide to upgrade (separate /home etc)

agurk
October 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Been doing upgrades on this laptop since Dapper and figure I should be Linux literate enough by now to be able to fix any problems that might present themselves. I'll be waiting a couple of weeks to let things settle down first though.
The workstation might get a fresh install on the other hand, if I can be arsed. Just for fun.

perlluver
October 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
I didn't vote as I am already running Intrepid.

FuturePilot
October 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Upgrade.

JetskiDude911
October 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I really don't want to upgrade, and I've got everything setup the way I like it, so I'm probably going to hold off on moving to 8.10 at this time.

LaRoza
October 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I really don't want to upgrade, and I've got everything setup the way I like it, so I'm probably going to hold off on moving to 8.10 at this time.

Everyone says that...

Resistance is futile, you will {most likely} be upgrading.

fedex1993
October 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Neither if they dont fix the messed up hardware stuff on laptops. I herd the kernel killed some laptops wireless beyond repair.

ddnev45
October 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM

I'll be doing this too.

Chilli Bob
October 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I'll be sticking with Hardy for now. It's the best OS I've ever used, and it's set up just how I like it. After unhappy experiences with Edgy and Gutsy, I can't justify the time and energy upgrading unless I see a killer feature in Intrepid, and I just can't see one.

Npl
October 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Clean install, but likely not till ~1 month after the release. While Packet-managment is nice, it tends to break if you mix in some packages which arent from your sources. Also I compiled a couple of packages myself and Im pretty certain this would result in problems.

jimi_hendrix
October 4th, 2008, 12:02 AM
im installing beta as we speak...so that should just download upgrades on the 30th right?

jimi_hendrix
October 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I can't justify the time and energy upgrading unless I see a killer feature in Intrepid, and I just can't see one.

come on i know you want that awesome desktop background and and tabs in nautilus...

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I don't run Ubuntu on my main machine. My old secondary dual-boots NetBSD and Ubuntu Dapper Drake (6.06). It will continue to use Dapper until support runs out, at which point I'll probably just erase Ubuntu altogether.

Jesuses Left Leg
October 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I will do a clean install because upgrades always made my computer ridiculously buggy.

tigrezno
October 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM

i've using x64 and i'll move to 32bits with 8.10 cause of teamspeak

TBOL3
October 4th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'll be waiting until getdeb puts out some packages I want, that are for ibex.

BTW, if I do a clean install, what would the easiest way to save all of the data on my games? I can't make a separate /home partition, because I already have 4. Thanks.

hellion0
October 4th, 2008, 01:53 AM
On the one machine I upgrade ASAP, it will be an upgrade over a clean install - the machine uses a fix for the sound card dating back to Feisty that can't be replicated in newer (cleanly-installed) releases. In order to keep the machine-specific fixes, it's upgrades only... unless Intrepid will work out-of-the-box on a Thinkpad 600.

zmjjmz
October 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I'll be upgrading depending on how well upgrades seem to go for everyone else.
If it's terrible with upgrades, I'll just hold out until 9.04.

Shazaam
October 4th, 2008, 02:55 AM
2 clean installs. First one will be a vm, the second will be a hard drive install after I am done trashing the vm. :)

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I will be doing neither. Instead, I will be ordering a disc from Shipit to add to my collection.

RFXCasey
October 4th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I have too much customization to even think about doing either. I may consider upgrading at some point if it goes well for others. What will the advantages be of ibex and are they really worth the risk or trouble? My machine is running pretty sweet right so if I do anything I will make a complete partition backup first and then upgrade. If the upgrade hoses my machine back in goes the backup image.

Jim!
October 4th, 2008, 03:38 AM
No need for a clean install I'll just upgrade.

venator260
October 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Past experience tells me that a clean install will work better than an upgrade. This has held for every release on my computer since 6.06. 7.10>8.04 went ok on my lappy, but a clean install was better.

Jim!
October 4th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Is there any advantage to doing a clean install over an upgrade? One of the cons of using Windows (Often pointed out by Linux users on this forum) is that you have to reinstall it quite often due to things like Viruses, etc.

richg
October 4th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Since I use removable hard drives, I will attempt to update a second drive that has 8.04. If it works, I will update my primary drive that has 8.04. I keep two hard drives configured with 8.04 so if the primary fails, I have the secondary and can be back in business in a few minutes. Personal files are always backed up to an external drive.

Rich

Lord DarkPat
October 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I'm sticking with Gutsy, kthxbai

Greyed
October 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I just wanna know why people create these poles and add commentary in the options which invalidates most of the answers for most of the people.

I mean, really, what if I want to do a clean install of my desktop but an upgrade of the VM on my laptop? Option 3 is invalidated because of the commentary. :(

Greyed
October 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Is there any advantage to doing a clean install over an upgrade? One of the cons of using Windows (Often pointed out by Linux users on this forum) is that you have to reinstall it quite often due to things like Viruses, etc.

There is some, yes. Not as much as with Windows, but some.

And it isn't nearly as destructive. No registry to cause you heartburn. /home dirs are preserved; at least KUbuntu 7.10->8.04 did.

davidryder
October 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I am of the mindset that if it isn't broken don't fix it. I know from experience updating the kernel/current release is likely to cause problems...

Has this changed? Is the update process for Ubuntu pretty easy? This new release doesn't really seem to include any features I want or need...

earthpigg
October 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I just wanna know why people create these poles and add commentary in the options which invalidates most of the answers for most of the people.

I mean, really, what if I want to do a clean install of my desktop but an upgrade of the VM on my laptop? Option 3 is invalidated because of the commentary. :(

fair enough. my intent was for the commentary in option three to be one possible example of a mix n match plan. i should have made that clearer.

but i stand by my other three options! :)

vishzilla
October 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
today morning did a clean install.

Ripfox
October 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I am running Intrepid and will still do a clean install. ALWAYS works better. :)

TheSlipstream
October 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm definitely not going to do a fresh install. I mean, nothing about my Ubuntu is stock. It's running Openbox with a tonne of specially compiled software. I sure hope dist-upgrade has been improved, although I could still use CrunchBang 8.10...

billgoldberg
October 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
A clean install, like always.

billgoldberg
October 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM
im installing beta as we speak...so that should just download upgrades on the 30th right?

Just by installing the updates you'll get you'll be using the RC and Final version as they come out.

iKonaK
October 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
hardy works well 4 me,
if there will be new cool stuffs maybe,
i'll test it in VirtualBox anyway.

hoagie
October 4th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Clean install, since I haven't used my ubuntu setup in a long time ...

kylet450
October 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Ive already upgraded, Its fine.

I did NOT do a clean install.

And Intrepid is not buggy for me.

bigbrovar
October 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I should be getting my New Dell XPS M1330 Hardy Heron pre-installed on the 24th of this month that is exactly 6 days before Ibex. so yeah i would be clean installing.New shinny laptop plus New Shinny Ubuntu.Its the perfect clean start.... at least from a Geek's perspective. :D

davidryder
October 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm definitely not going to do a fresh install. I mean, nothing about my Ubuntu is stock. It's running Openbox with a tonne of specially compiled software. I sure hope dist-upgrade has been improved, although I could still use CrunchBang 8.10...

Yeah I have done so much tweaking to my install that I am just not interested in going through the entire process again. I just hope to be able to update Gnome to the new version :D

MickS
October 4th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm going to upgrade like I have since Dapper, I find it satisfying that I have never had to do a single reinstall all the time I have been on Ubuntu, unlike windows which I have had to do numerous times.

Mick

earthpigg
October 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I should be getting my New Dell XPS M1330 Hardy Heron pre-installed on the 24th of this month that is exactly 6 days before Ibex. so yeah i would be clean installing.New shinny laptop plus New Shinny Ubuntu.Its the perfect clean start.... at least from a Geek's perspective. :D

any idea if you will be voiding your warranty (as it applies to software... ie: tech support) or anything like that by doing this?

rax_m
October 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Clean install over my existing Gutsy install with the hope that all my lappie functions will now work properly. And I also want to resize some partitions. :)

Though I will probably test it on my existing Hardy test partition.

davidryder
October 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Clean install over my existing Gutsy install with the hope that all my lappie functions will now work properly. And I also want to resize some partitions. :)

Though I will probably test it on my existing Hardy test partition.

Laptops and Linux have not mixed in my experience :(

earthpigg
October 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Laptops and Linux have not mixed in my experience :(

i gave up on making hibernate and sleep work reliably.

and it took a while to figure out the weirdness of headphones and built in speakers always both being on.

other than that, my cheapo ibuypower.com lappy works fine :)

Ms_Angel_D
October 4th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I did install it in virtualbox, I must say I like the new tab's in nautilus, it's very nice when working with files.

nick09
October 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm sticking with hardy for this computer but I think I might install Ibex when I get my own laptop.

sanderella
October 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
No, I'm sticking with Hardy until the next LTS. I did clean installs from Breezy Badger on, but had problems with Feisty and Hardy and had to get the guys from the LUG to help me. This time I'm going to be lazy, and happily keep what I've got. At my age I don't have to try to keep up with the geeks.:KS

BigSilly
October 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
No, I'm sticking with Hardy until the next LTS. I did clean installs from Breezy Badger on, but had problems with Feisty and Hardy and had to get the guys from the LUG to help me. This time I'm going to be lazy, and happily keep what I've got. At my age I don't have to try to keep up with the geeks.:KS

I've not voted yet, but I'm kinda feeling this way too. Hardy's working just fine for me, and I'm struggling to think of a good reason to jump ship when I'm perfectly happy. We'll see I guess, but from what I'm reading around the forum about Intrepid, I might have no choice anyway other than to stay where I am. There seems to be an awful lot of problems with the beta, much more so than in the past.

issih
October 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking that the main desktop will get nuked (I have that set up with a seperate home partition anyway, and it hasn't had a clean install since feisty, and its in need of a bit of a clean up

The laptop and the server will get upgraded, as they are both hardy installs with not much customisation at the moment...see how it goes, if things go badly I'll probably just blitz them with clean installs too, theres not much on the OS drive of either of them at the moment.

Comhra
October 4th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Upgrades have been problematic for me in the past; I'll either stick with Hardy or do a clean install.

BTW what about 8.04.2? It's due for release at Christmas. If I stick with Hardy, will the 8.04.2 upgrade have any of the new features to be found in Ibex?

ww711
October 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Upgrades have been problematic for me in the past

Same. Upgrading from GG7.10 to HH8.10 was troublesome, especially having a Broadcom wireless chipset to install and configure. Essentially going from a working system to a broken system; am staying put and holding off!

davidryder
October 5th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Can you just upgrade components of Hardy? Like upgrade Nautilus without upgrading the entire system?

ginnie6
October 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I've really been wondering about this. I think that for now I'll stay with 8.04. Gutsy would NOT work on this laptop and I had to do a fix to get wireless working even with 8.04. Besides that I have everything set up exactly like I want it. Tons of brushes and plugins and such in gimp and I just don't want to mess with that.

Fr33d0m
October 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I usually upgrade first and do a fresh install shortly after if necessary. Most of my Ubuntu upgrades have worked out fine though I've had similar experiences with other upgrades as some have mentioned but thats half the fun. I've also seen some things not carry over with an upgrade. That said I'm configuring a new laptop (M1330) right now so I may just go with the clean install instead.

As for having to revisit some configuration and bug fixes so shortly after configuring a new laptop, it only makes you stronger.

extruct
October 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Well Ill use this thread to ask a question:
Since Hardy is my first version of Ubuntu, I never did upgrade, so I would like to know if there may be any problems with upgrading hardy to ibex? I mean how it was with dapper, gusty, edgy was there any particular problems with upgrading?
What do you suggest for a newbie: upgrading or fresh install?
Thanks.

motang
October 20th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Mine will be mix, I already done clean install on both my EeeBox and my notebook, and I will updagrade on my main desktop.

Dr Small
October 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I won't be upgrading nor installing. I don't run Ubuntu anymore, but I do order the discs to use on the rest of my families computers. And with those computers, I don't upgrade unless they want me to.

kk0sse54
October 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I've already done a clean install of the beta even though I don't use Ubuntu as my main OS anymore.

Dvorakis
October 20th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I've been doing the same for a while.

I put all the files I need onto a seperate HD and then do a clean install.
Fun stuff.