PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone ready for an onslaught of "Intrepid is the worst release ever" threads?

wolfen69
October 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
it happens with every release, and i expect it to be no different on october 30. why can't people just wait a month or 2 after release, then install it? dumb question, i know.

SunnyRabbiera
October 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
well by the looks of it intrepid does seem to be a bad relese in the making, with ugly wallpapers, no development of a new theme and no decent monitor configuration tool intrepid looks to be going on the dark path.

melojo
October 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
well by the looks of it intrepid does seem to be a bad relese in the making, with ugly wallpapers, no development of a new theme and no decent monitor configuration tool intrepid looks to be going on the dark path.

I am upgrading now.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm ready. It happens every release... actually, ironically, except for maybe Edgy, which was supposed to be unstable and "edgy" but ended up being surprisingly stable.

SunnyRabbiera
October 3rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm ready. It happens every release... actually, ironically, except for maybe Edgy, which was supposed to be unstable and "edgy" but ended up being surprisingly stable.

Oh yes edgy was a great release, never had issues with it once...
Now feisty on the other hand and gutsy different story.

forrestcupp
October 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM

You can't judge any release by wallpapers and themes. That's pretty shallow considering you could change it all and customize it in 5 minutes or less.

So far, Intrepid seems quite a bit better than Hardy. If you'll remember, Gutsy wasn't that bad, and everyone was all upset that Hardy was an LTS but it was full of problems. From what I've seen, Intrepid is much more worthy of being an LTS than Hardy was when it was released.

artir
October 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
For me, the worst was edgy actually XD.

Anyway, I expect Ibex to be far better than Gutsy and Hardy. So it will receive less complains, I guess

SunnyRabbiera
October 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
You can't judge any release by wallpapers and themes. That's pretty shallow considering you could change it all and customize it in 5 minutes or less.

So far, Intrepid seems quite a bit better than Hardy. If you'll remember, Gutsy wasn't that bad, and everyone was all upset that Hardy was an LTS but it was full of problems. From what I've seen, Intrepid is much more worthy of being an LTS than Hardy was when it was released.

well me I am not into the appearance thing, but many are.
But then again Mark Shuttleworth said we need a good looking interface, and so far nothing is good looking in ibex.
If the looks of the beta ibex are the best we can do I feel we have not met Marks criteria.

kevin11951
October 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
It would be funny, if all this stuff; bad themes, wallpapers, etc... Are just to mess with us. And then in the final release they roll out an amazing theme, and beautiful wallpaper!

Icehuck
October 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Gutsy wasn't that bad

Gutsy was a horrible release. When you fully support HP Laptops in Fiesty, then have almost zero support in Gutsy you FAIL. There were a bunch of sticky threads about this right after the Gutsy release telling people who had HP Laptops not to upgrade. My laptop was a great example of this. It worked great in Fiesty, fizzled in Gutsy, and worked great in Hardy.

LaRoza
October 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Gutsy was a horrible release. When you fully support HP Laptops in Fiesty, then have almost zero support in Gutsy you FAIL. There were a bunch of sticky threads about this right after the Gutsy release telling people who had HP Laptops not to upgrade. My laptop was a great example of this. It worked great in Fiesty, fizzled in Gutsy, and worked great in Hardy.

Rethink that.

How many computers had no problems with XP but didn't support Vista at all? How many computers support Mac OS 9, but do not support OS X?

nick09
October 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
well me I am not into the appearance thing, but many are.
But then again Mark Shuttleworth said we need a good looking interface, and so far nothing is good looking in ibex.
If the looks of the beta ibex are the best we can do I feel we have not met Marks criteria.

He did say he wanted a good looking interface by the time of the 9.04 release. Give it some time.

benny bronx
October 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Rethink that.

How many computers had no problems with XP but didn't support Vista at all? How many computers support Mac OS 9, but do not support OS X?

Valid point but, while I personally have had very few (minor) problems with new releases going back to 6.06, maybe setting a date specific for a release is not a good idea.

klange
October 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I have my list of rebuttals ready and waiting...

Perfect Storm
October 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
it happens with every release, and i expect it to be no different on october 30. why can't people just wait a month or 2 after release, then install it?

Aye, I marked the date to get :popcorn: ready for all the doomsayers. Every single release we'll get "this is the downfall of Ubuntu", "Worst Release EVER" (comic guy), I'm going to use X,Z,Y distro instead.
Seen it, heard it, ignoring it.

LaRoza
October 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Valid point but, while I personally have had very few (minor) problems with new releases going back to 6.06, maybe setting a date specific for a release is not a good idea.

The relative trouble free changes to different Ubuntu versions is a big plus. The minor problems are very minor compared to other OS's.

I think releasing early and often is essential to quality software. Hardy Heron had problems in the beginning, but is, for the most part, quite solid now. In 6 months. Vista on the other hand, took 7 years of development, lacks all the major features that made it different from XP, introduced many more problems, and is much more bloated.

Therion
October 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Why, no... I... I'm not prepared at all!!

Dear GAWD what do I DO?

What CAN I do? Do I need to start working out? Eat more leafy-green vegetables? Quit chasing wom... oh, wait, you can forget that... Cut back on the drinking? Take up Yoga? More fiber in my diet? WHAT??

lswb
October 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm still waiting for the hardy bugs to be fixed!

wolfen69
October 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
It would be funny, if all this stuff; bad themes, wallpapers, etc... Are just to mess with us. And then in the final release they roll out an amazing theme, and beautiful wallpaper!

that's what i was thinking. hopefully we will be surprised on release day.

wolfen69
October 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I'm still waiting for the hardy bugs to be fixed!

Hardy 8.04.2 comes out in December. i think it will be an improvement.

Spaceman9
October 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I found these wallpapers for ibex just looking in Google.

http://backdropsforyourlife.wordpress.com/2008/09/16/ubuntu-intrepid-ibex-wallpaper/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=858861

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mundotronics/2393846083/

http://backports.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=933929

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Wall-light

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Auticoder

http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877001

May be there are some things in Ubuntu that aren't pefect, but I'm sure Mark works very hard to give us the best he can. And it's free. I'd hate to go back to the bad old days of only having Apple and M$.

Icehuck
October 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Rethink that.

Vista had completely different hardware requirements than XP and that was specified by Microsoft. Whats that have to do with the fact that the Devs dropped the ball on Gutsy?

Denestria
October 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Gutsy was obviously the worst release EVAR because it hard locked my machine several times a day. Feisty was fine and the upgrade to Hardy was also. Crosses fingers for Ibex.

I don't have the patience to deal with people who think just because they had a problem with something that it is the worst thing ever and decide to vociferously warn every one else on the planet that they shouldn't use it. Of course everyone else is using the exact same combination of hardware and configuration as they are! How dare you suggest otherwise! I just ignore them. DIAF

LaRoza
October 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Vista had completely different hardware requirements than XP and that was specified by Microsoft. Whats that have to do with the fact that the Devs dropped the ball on Gutsy?

For you, Gutsy worked perfectly for me.

Vista had hardware requirements and yet they managed to lie about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista#Vista_capable_lawsuit

SunnyRabbiera
October 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Gutsy was soso for me, it was in the middle, but it was a pain to set up.

kevin11951
October 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
that's what i was thinking. hopefully we will be surprised on release day.

what are the chances? 50/50? 70/30? 1/100?

Ub1476
October 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Right now Intrpeid has serious issus with radeon cards, intel cards and atheros wireless cards.

+ I don't feel there has been much change in Gnome..

So I think it will be a bit boring release.

FuturePilot
October 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
it happens with every release, and i expect it to be no different on october 30. why can't people just wait a month or 2 after release, then install it? dumb question, i know.

Yes. As always with every release there's about 100 of these threads that pop up. It's so predictable and so annoying. :|

Icehuck
October 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
For you, Gutsy worked perfectly for me.

Vista had hardware requirements and yet they managed to lie about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista#Vista_capable_lawsuit

Linux is known for its compatibility for old hardware. I have compatibility of all my hardware in 7.04 lose it in 7.10, and gain it all back in 8.04, this tells me something. The fact that you are saying doing the "it works fine for me, so its a great release" argument doesn't hold weight. HP hardware being fully supported in Hardy and Fiesty shows that it was a mistake in Gutsy not to include it. There are tons of HP machines running Ubuntu, and not supporting them(which I'm sure wasn't intentional) is a pretty big failure.

Again Windows has nothing to do with this issue.

aaaantoine
October 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Right now Intrpeid has serious issus with radeon cards, intel cards and atheros wireless cards.

+ I don't feel there has been much change in Gnome..

So I think it will be a bit boring release.

Really? Mind pointing me to those issues? Radeon for me, Atheros for an acquaintance of mine.

jeyaganesh
October 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I am using Ibex alpha for more than 2 months. I have no problem with it, except usual compiz activation problem. It also started to work fine. It detects wireless adapter and internet is so smooth. I think FF only created much pain in detecting wireless adapter.

Never say Ibex wallpaper is looking bad. Because in the history of ubuntu, it never had good wallpaper. Probably never going to have one in future too. I always use my own pix or from flickr as my wallpaper. For themes, I use from gnome look.

kittywittys
October 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I am running intrepid right now. I am very new to ubuntu. my boyfriend put hardy on my Sony Vaio laptop for me. But my wireless would not work at all. He finally did get it working, but it would only work for like 10 minutes. So thats when I upgraded to Intrepid. My wireless acutally does work....so i dont think its that bad. But like I said...I just started using Ubuntu like 2 weeks ago....so i have no experience with anything but hardy and intrepid.

Sephoroth
October 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Why, no... I... I'm not prepared at all!!

Dear GAWD what do I DO?

What CAN I do? Do I need to start working out? Eat more leafy-green vegetables? Quit chasing wom... oh, wait, you can forget that... Cut back on the drinking? Take up Yoga? More fiber in my diet? WHAT??

I am sorry. I am afraid that is all you can do. You must quit chasing wombats. They are not fond of the Ibex.

I will be gathering weeks of food to avoid any sort of anti-Ibexism.

jeyaganesh
October 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Some of you mentioned to use Ibex after 2 months of its release. In that time period, they start to release alpha version of next release.

What about releasing new versions in one year time, instead of every 6 months? Instead of releasing in a hurry, they can have good time to concentrate more on lot of issues. What do you think?

Therion
October 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
I am sorry. You must quit chasing wombats.
Well played, sir... Well played indeed.

/golfclap

Sephoroth
October 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Well played, sir... Well played indeed.

/golfclap

*bows*

aaaantoine
October 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Some of you mentioned to use Ibex after 2 months of its release. In that time period, they start to release alpha version of next release.

What about releasing new versions in one year time, instead of every 6 months? Instead of releasing in a hurry, they can have good time to concentrate more on lot of issues. What do you think?

This comes up all the time. Its timing is supposed to be in sync with X.org and Gnome releases. X.org is supposed to release every 6 months. About a month later, the next Gnome comes out. A month after that, the next version of Ubuntu. Lately, X.org has been slacking -- I don't know if it's for lack of developers or too many conflicting views (e.g. too many developers). But Gnome and Ubuntu have kept a pretty strict 6 month release schedule. Exceptions are occasionally made in the case of serious bugs (Dapper Drake had a 6 week delay and became Ubuntu 6.06 instead of 6.04).

If you would prefer, there are other distributions that follow different schedules. Debian seems more in line with the schedule you're looking for.

LowSky
October 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Fiesty was probably the best for me, maybe because it was my first release I was comfortable to me? But Gusty changed to many things and Hardy didn't seem to fix all the issues Gutsy had. So I'm hoping Ibex is smooth like Feisty was.
Maybe It a a matter of LTS+12 (or 10 with Feisty)= a truly good Ubuntu OS. That's what it looks like to me anyway. And I've been a Linux user since 5.10 but not a full time one until 7.04

bash
October 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have been using Ibex as my main system since Beta 6 and so far had no problems. It doesn't have have any really big new thing and lots of people expected the "new look" to be that one big new thing, but I'm not that worried about the look. I always customize the theme anyways. Though I wouldn't mind an prettier default theme.

But so that you people can already warm, here's something to start with ;)

WEN I CLICKZ ON TEH VIRUS.EXE NUTTIN HAPPENS LOLZ OMFG!!è!!+11111 LINUX FAILS l0l0l

Sephoroth
October 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
WEN I CLICKZ ON TEH VIRUS.EXE NUTTIN HAPPENS LOLZ OMFG!!è!!+11111 LINUX FAILS l0l0l

Lies! It loads in WINE but it won't auto add itself as a startup program for some reason :cry:.

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 12:36 AM
why can't people just wait a month or 2 after release, then install it?
I'm not defending the people who whine endlessly about a free product that they choose to use, but why shouldn't it be stable when it is released? If it isn't ready, it shouldn't be released.

Edgy was great. The high point in Ubuntu's history, if you ask me.

pah99
October 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I just wanted to say a couple things about Ibex.
First off- when I first tried it, it was with the Alpha build. It didn't work, but I wasn't expecting it to. When the beta build came out, I tried it out right away. I was so impressed with it, that i installed it. Yes, I am using it right now, bugs and all. And the theme isn't as bad as it looks. Its actually a lot easier to read everything, and the colors actually go together (not that I like the brown theme).
This is the fastest edition of Ubuntu I have ever used. The new features are awesome. I can't wait until October 30th to get the final build.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I'm not defending the people who whine endlessly about a free product that they choose to use, but why shouldn't it be stable when it is released? If it isn't ready, it shouldn't be released.

Ah, that is a non-developer's point of view ;)

It is tricky, releasing. It has to be tested. The first rule of testing is if you made it, you are not fit for testing it.

sysres, when I released it, was perfect to me. Four other developers had no problems with it. You would think four programmers dealing the the code and structure would be able to catch problems right? Wrong, there were many problems that were discovered by users.

Releasing early and often is the best way to catch this and make a quality application.

TBOL3
October 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM
So, are you saying that one of the better ways I can contribute, is to use beta software, and track bugs?

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Ah, that is a non-developer's point of view ;)

It is tricky, releasing. It has to be tested. The first rule of testing is if you made it, you are not fit for testing it.

sysres, when I released it, was perfect to me. Four other developers had no problems with it. You would think four programmers dealing the the code and structure would be able to catch problems right? Wrong, there were many problems that were discovered by users.

Releasing early and often is the best way to catch this and make a quality application.
I don't imply that the system must work flawlessly on every system imaginable - that isn't possible. However, the attitude that the final release will automatically be unstable for several months is disturbing to me. I have never heard of such a thing with Slackware.

wolfen69
October 4th, 2008, 02:16 AM
If it isn't ready, it shouldn't be released.

but by releasing it early, the bugs get worked out much quicker. they are basically forcing people that want the latest and greatest to be beta testers. good or bad, that's the way it is. don't want to deal with initial bugs? wait a while then. simple as that.

if you don't like it, join the ubuntu team and get things changed. otherwise, deal with it.

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 02:19 AM
but by releasing it early, the bugs get worked out much quicker. they are basically forcing people that want the latest and greatest to be beta testers. good or bad, that's the way it is. don't want to deal with initial bugs? wait a while then. simple as that.

if you don't like it, join the ubuntu team and get things changed. otherwise, deal with it.
I do deal with it, by using Slackware.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I don't imply that the system must work flawlessly on every system imaginable - that isn't possible. However, the attitude that the final release will automatically be unstable for several months is disturbing to me. I have never heard of such a thing with Slackware.

Well, for me, each release has worked flawlessly.

Changing any system is risky, and requires consideration, no matter how stable or good the software is.

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Well, for me, each release has worked flawlessly.

Changing any system is risky, and requires consideration, no matter how stable or good the software is.
Of course.

By the way, when I hear "release early, release often", I think of it as releasing prerelease versions (ie 0.xx).

xArv3nx
October 4th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I do deal with it, by using Slackware.
I'd rather use Debian:

Debian, Ubuntu how it should be -- stable.

wolfen69
October 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM

i agree. in the long run it helps.

back to ibex. if intrepid doesn't float your boat, just use the Hardy point releases. (8.04.2-8.04.3-8.04.4) these releases will include drivers for newer hardware, as well as regular and security updates. hardy will become one of the most stable, usable releases of all time. mark my words.

xArv3nx
October 4th, 2008, 02:27 AM
nevermind. :D

kevdog
October 4th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I laugh at all these threads. I can excuse every release for instability except the long term solutions. The kernel contained in the Hardy and Intrepid releases have a serious bug with wild problems of instability -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/204996. This bug has been open so long, with no long term solution in sight. In fact it seems to effect more distros than even Ubuntu. I can excuse the instability in Ibex, and other beta releases, however for I have no sympathy for Hardy. I am sure no one is going to read through all the responses for this bug, however needless to say the developers have stated that even if a fix is found, it will not be backported to Hardy. This is hypocrisy at its worst. Support the long term solutions as advertised, or abandon the slogan of long term releases. My experience began with Edgy, and to be honest, with all the releases since this, they seem to be all equivalent in terms of stability. I find this inexcusable for Hardy, in that the developers included a lot more style and flash than concentrating on fixing bugs for hopes of stability.

xArv3nx
October 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I laugh at all these threads. I can excuse every release for instability except the long term solutions. The kernel contained in the Hardy and Intrepid releases have a serious bug with wild problems of instability -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/204996. This bug has been open so long, with no long term solution in sight. In fact it seems to effect more distros than even Ubuntu. I can excuse the instability in Ibex, and other beta releases, however for I have no sympathy for Hardy. I am sure no one is going to read through all the responses for this bug, however needless to say the developers have stated that even if a fix is found, it will not be backported to Hardy. This is hypocrisy at its worst. Support the long term solutions as advertised, or abandon the slogan of long term releases. My experience began with Edgy, and to be honest, with all the releases since this, they seem to be all equivalent in terms of stability. I find this inexcusable for Hardy, in that the developers included a lot more style and flash than concentrating on fixing bugs for hopes of stability.
I disagree, I feel like the Ubuntu developers barely did anything for the LTS release, just like every release they've ever had.

danbuter
October 4th, 2008, 02:45 AM
So, are you saying that one of the better ways I can contribute, is to use beta software, and track bugs?

This sounds great. However, I've done testing on both Hardy and Intrepid. I've either entered new bugs or added info on older bugs numerous times. So far, one bug I entered info on has been fixed. That's it. I'm not sure what Ubuntu developers do, but fixing bugs isn't in their job description.

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 02:49 AM
If Ubuntu is going to overthrow Windows in any aspect, in needs to come up with some better looking interfaces than it's current type of release stages of "change this wallpaper", "add a few buttons here", "improve usabilty a little in the field". I mean, this is what we complain about Windows doing, basically. Windows 7 will be very similar to Vista. But from Windows 95 to Windows XP, there was a huge difference in interface.

(I am not usually a pro-GUI, but in this case of marketing, there needs to be something done to improve Ubuntu besides just making minor changes every 6 months.)

1cewolf
October 4th, 2008, 03:17 AM
If Ubuntu is going to overthrow Windows in any aspect, in needs to come up with some better looking interfaces than it's current type of release stages of "change this wallpaper", "add a few buttons here", "improve usabilty a little in the field". I mean, this is what we complain about Windows doing, basically. Windows 7 will be very similar to Vista. But from Windows 95 to Windows XP, there was a huge difference in interface.

(I am not usually a pro-GUI, but in this case of marketing, there needs to be something done to improve Ubuntu besides just making minor changes every 6 months.)

I agree 100%. Well said. I think we need to start seeing more progress being made in Ubuntu's appearance even if it means breaking the 6-month release cycle. I can wait a few extra months if it means a quality release that really puts Ubuntu on the map. As it stands, Ubuntu by default looks...well, honestly, it looks "cheap". It looks like a knockoff.

Kubuntu, for all its faults, got a very nice visual overhaul with KDE 4. It still lacks any sort of discernible identity, but at least it looks much better than Ubuntu.

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I agree 100%. Well said. I think we need to start seeing more progress being made in Ubuntu's appearance even if it means breaking the 6-month release cycle. I can wait a few extra months if it means a quality release that really puts Ubuntu on the map. As it stands, Ubuntu by default looks...well, honestly, it looks "cheap". It looks like a knockoff.

Kubuntu, for all its faults, got a very nice visual overhaul with KDE 4. It still lacks any sort of discernible identity, but at least it looks much better than Ubuntu.
I mean, I have been with Ubuntu since Dapper (6.06) and the wallpapers have changed (the default, brown has not) and it has become more dependable, usable, and auto-detects things better with each release, but overall, there isn't that much (from first glance) that has changed.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I mean, I have been with Ubuntu since Dapper (6.06) and the wallpapers have changed (the default, brown has not) and it has become more dependable, usable, and auto-detects things better with each release, but overall, there isn't that much (from first glance) that has changed.

Is that so bad? Some thing Dapper is great.

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Is that so bad? Some thing Dapper is great.
No, I can live with it, and I love Dapper. But mainstream and public opinion may think otherwise, and consider something more attractive to the eye.

cariboo
October 4th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I see people complaining about bugs not being fixed, a lot of the bugs we encounter are from upstream. especially kernel bugs, if your favourite bugs aren't getting repaired why not report them further upstream where they originated. Have alook st this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=896777

regarding improving Intrepid, reporting bugs on launchpad and upstream.

Personally I've lost count of the number of bugs I have reported, but I know for sure at least 5 of them have been fixed so far and I'm sure ther will be more fixed before the RC release.

Jim

phrostbyte
October 4th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Intrepid could be really bad or really good from the looks of it. Depends on the stars align this month of October.

phrostbyte
October 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM
No, I can live with it, and I love Dapper. But mainstream and public opinion may think otherwise, and consider something more attractive to the eye.

Yeah Ubuntu totally needs a graphical redesign. I am starting to consider switching to Kubuntu. :)

Jim!
October 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Yeah Ubuntu totally needs a graphical redesign. I am starting to consider switching to Kubuntu. :)
Rather then switch to Kubuntu wouldn't you be better of just personalizing your theme?

Heres a good tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=856190

jrusso2
October 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Gee all these problems, I rarely have them, of course I am not an early adopter. I wait at least a couple months for each release.

Heck I learned my lesson ten years ago, I work on problems with computers all day last thing I want is to come home to them.

Lord DarkPat
October 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I prefer Gutsy to Hardy. Xubuntu Gutsy was very stable and fast. Ubuntu and Kubuntu Gutsy were a different question. Xubuntu Hardy and Ubuntu Hardy are extremely slow.

jersoncito
October 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Dapper's welcome sound it was so beautiful. They should use it again.

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Dapper's welcome sound it was so beautiful. They should use it again.
+1
I actually need to go get that sound off my Dapper system, just so I can hear it again :)

Canis familiaris
October 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
+1
I actually need to go get that sound off my Dapper system, just so I can hear it again :)

+2

If possible attach it here so that I can download it. Or give a link please. I didn't find any in the net.

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
+2

If possible attach it here so that I can download it. Or give a link please. I didn't find any in the net.
Ok. I'll do that sometime today :D

TBOL3
October 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Ok. I'll do that sometime today :D

+3 Thank you.

earthpigg
October 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
+3 Thank you.

+4 im a nub and have never heard it, but this is like the nth post about it, so ill check it out if you deliver :)

binbash
October 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-8-10-Beta-Screenshot-Tour-94796.shtml

Everyone in softpedia think it is the ugliest distro every made :) I dont care

Riffer
October 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yanno, the ones that have a good rant because they have search for answers to their problems to no avail, I have no problem with. We've all been there and a little hand holding is all they want, some links, some pointers to help them out. I'm glad to help then, people did it for me when I first started and I am still grateful.

The others that have honest problems with no solution in sight I feel for them. And their threads are good for the community, solutions may be found, bugs reported etc.

But the ones who come in with 5 posts or less, slag Ubuntu, calls it crap cuz "it doesn't work for them" and that "Windows is so much easier". And when asked about specifics (hardware and such) don't answer. These guys P*** me off so much. Obvious trolls that we waste time answering.

Then there the ones who have a cheap printer or obscure sound card that just won't work with Linux/Ubuntu. When this is pointed out to them they get huffy and we get "But it just works in Windows", failing to understand that the manufacturers write drivers for windows not for Linux.

These last 2 just drive me nutz.

Comhra
October 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Will Hardy 8.04.2 have the new features that are being developed for Ibex?

Perfect Storm
October 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-8-10-Beta-Screenshot-Tour-94796.shtml

Everyone in softpedia think it is the ugliest distro every made :) I dont care

If this is 8.10 biggest problems, then I'm not concerned :popcorn:

binbash
October 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
If this is 8.10 biggest problems, then I'm not concerned :popcorn:

Yep i totally agree with you as i said "i dont care" above.

Ibex doing great job over hardy.

vishzilla
October 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Looks don't matter though they could have made some gradual change. Upgraded to intrepid today, apart from the Pulseaudio problem which I found a workaround. Intrepids a good release. Boot time has improved minimally. Hibernate is smoother than Hardy. One complaint, the Screens and Graphics utility is omitted in this release.

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
+4 im a nub and have never heard it, but this is like the nth post about it, so ill check it out if you deliver :)

Here it is, as I promised.
http://stashbox.org/249221/startup.ogg

blueturtl
October 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Thank you Dr. Small for posting the startup sound. I was missing it too.

As for the main thread: I'm ready.:)

Canis familiaris
October 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Here it is, as I promised.
http://stashbox.org/249221/startup.ogg

Thanks.

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm ready for them :)

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you Dr. Small for posting the startup sound. I was missing it too.

Thanks.

No problem. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I always have :)

shuttleworthwannabe
October 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
you know, I will be the first to admit that looks are everything; but Ibex beta is proving to be a excellent contender to be the best ever release in my opinion. It is fast, (boot up and shutdown; launching apps, etc), hardware detection is right there where it should be, and GNOME 2.24 is snappier.

But, alas, pulseaudio is the "no-work", again. This did not work for me in Hardy and is not yet resolved in Ibex.

But I am impressed with the performance, looks will be addressed at alter stage; under the hood, there is palpable development comparing hardy with Ibex,

S

toupeiro
October 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
If:

1) it is Faster on bootup

2) sudo didn't get nerf'ed (sorry, couldn't resist)

3) My PostGRES SQL instances don't break as they do with every upgrade. ( I can fix this easily, but it would be nice to have it "just work".)

Then I am sure it will be a fantastic release.

I think the last boot recovery and DKMS are great additions, and I am looking forward to testing the PAM auth tool.

Artwork is not important to me. I customize my own themes. I've never been happy with any OSes default look and feel so by just accepting that I will customize that, I can focus on its more important features.

I've been mostly happy with every release minus feisty, but only because the first stab at the GUI Xorg configuration tool was REALLY bad if you chose to use NVidia's latest drivers.