PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some Halloween Icons instead of my Mugs?

kevdog
October 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
In the spirit of the Halloween Celebration within the Ubuntu Forums, I'm asking if someone can temporarily exchange my Ubuntu mugs (or cups), with small pumpkins or something like that. I'm really enjoying the staff's new icons and would like to get in on the action :)

LaRoza
October 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
In the spirit of the Halloween Celebration within the Ubuntu Forums, I'm asking if someone can temporarily exchange my Ubuntu mugs (or cups), with small pumpkins or something like that. I'm really enjoying the staff's new icons and would like to get in on the action :)

Perhaps AI can make icons for the plebes? I really think they should be used close to Halloween, but it could be worse, it could be Christmas.

Rocket2DMn
October 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
The problem with doing that for normal forum users is that there are a whole bunch of different sets of coffee icons that change along with post count and user title. I don't think that Artificial Intelligence is going to make themed icons to replace all of them, nor would ubuntu-geek want to go through and replace them on the server, only to have to change them again in a month.

kevdog
October 4th, 2008, 02:19 AM
The poor plebians are begging are begging to be included in the fun! Just make a replacement for the simple cup or mug. Don't have to get fancy.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 02:21 AM
The poor plebians are begging are begging to be included in the fun! Just make a replacement for the simple cup or mug. Don't have to get fancy.

I think the issue would be changing it back, as each group (whatever they are) will have their own set icons already and would have to be changed back, one at a time. (Assuming vBulletin is like other forum software).

kevdog
October 4th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Put me in my own group then --- I'm not jealous of your jugs/mugs, just your icons for Halloween -- thats all.

cyberdork33
October 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM
it is rather easy if you just make replacement images for all the images currently in the group images folder(s).

cp ./GroupImages/* ./GroupImages.bak/
cp ./NewGroupImages/* ./GroupImages/

then copy them back from the backup whem you are done. This way not database changes are made, just the image files themselves.

LaRoza
October 4th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Put me in my own group then --- I'm not jealous of your jugs/mugs, just your icons for Halloween -- thats all.

Well, the FC could make you a mod pro temp...

kevdog
October 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Well, the FC could make you a mod pro temp...

I'm aware of the meaning of that term in other circles, but not exactly sure what that standing means in the Ubuntu community, however if that gets me some new icons -- I'm all for it!

Artificial Intelligence
October 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM
It's up to FC. If they decide to do it, they'll give me a wink to change the normal users coffee cup'n'beans.

FuturePilot
October 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The pumpkin ones look amazing. :D

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
The pumpkin ones look amazing. :D

But they're admins only :p

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I'll stick to the coffee. Thanks. ;)

FuturePilot
October 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
But they're admins only :p

I know :(

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Your avatar makes me think you are always grinning. So even though you are "sad" I got another impression.

Rocket2DMn
October 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I want my coffee cups to be cans of Moutain Dew please. kthx.

Oh, if you can't do mountain dew, I'll have tea, Earl Grey, hot.

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'll have tea, Earl Grey, hot.

Milk & 2 sugars

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Am I being made fun of here? (Read: Resolution Center!!! Mod Harassment!!!) ;)

tuxxy
October 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I didnt know plebes still existed?

I agree would be great idea for forum users to able to get involved with the spirit of things and what not.

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Am I being made fun of here? (Read: Resolution Center!!! Mod Harassment!!!) ;)

Yes, constantly. We have a special thread devoted to "silly things lukjad007 has done today"

</joke>

Elfy
October 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Change your avatar then tuxxy :)

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yes, constantly. We have a special thread devoted to "silly things lukjad007 has done today"

I am hereby quoting your meanness toward me! You will bow down before me. Both you, and your heirs!

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I am hereby quoting your meanness toward me! You will bow down before me. Both you, and your heirs!

My hairs will stay firmly upon my head, thank you very much

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
You will bow down to be Joeb! I swear it!

Did you get the Superman reference?

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
No not at all :D

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
That's good. Oh, and the Geek Squad called. Your Geek Licence has been revoked.

Artificial Intelligence
October 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Do we have a geek squad on UF?

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/128469/0/Dumb_and_dumber.jpg

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I guess so.

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, it's AI and CompiledKernel

lukjad007
October 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
*Snerk!*
I mean, no, not them! They're cool! :halo:

Artificial Intelligence
October 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it's AI and CompiledKernel

Actually, I was thinking you and LaRoza when posting the picture :guitar:

Joeb454
October 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I knew you'd say that

kevdog
October 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Are the plebes free yet?

wieman01
October 5th, 2008, 07:53 AM
In fact I want to get rid of my icons. Wanna trade, Kevdog?

Artificial Intelligence
October 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I knew you'd say that

I'm that predictable, eh? :)

Joeb454
October 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'm that predictable, eh? :)

Well you're Artificial Intelligence, I downloaded your source code ;)

kevdog
October 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I enjoy the levity in this thread -- but I'm going to officially file this thread over the "hi-jack" label.

Nano Geek
October 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
In fact I want to get rid of my icons. Wanna trade, Kevdog?I didn't know you were a mod, when did this happen?

lukjad007
October 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I enjoy the levity in this thread -- but I'm going to officially file this thread over the "hi-jack" label.
I'll keep that in mind. Now:
Stand and deliver!

Rocket2DMn
October 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well you're Artificial Intelligence, I downloaded your source code ;)

So did I, however, it has an above average WTF/min count.

Artificial Intelligence
October 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
You guys just properly downloaded a previous version of me. I'm now more efficient, uses less RAM, comes with pretty buttons and a startup jingle :popcorn:
Try the SVN instead.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You guys just properly downloaded a previous version of me. I'm now more efficient, uses less RAM, comes with pretty buttons and a startup jingle :popcorn:
Try the SVN instead.

Ugly and stupid...

(Watch video to hear him say it): http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/03/004214

Artificial Intelligence
October 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
hehehe...linus hate SVN, to bad that most project uses it now :popcorn:

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
hehehe...linus hate SVN, to bad that most project uses it now :popcorn:

No, he hates CVS.

Really? Most projects doesn't mean "all projects" or "projects that matter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazaar_(software)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)

Rocket2DMn
October 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Try the SVN instead.

You're the only one we know who uses more RAM than hard drive space.

:lolflag:

cyberdork33
October 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
No, he hates CVS.

Really? Most projects doesn't mean "all projects" or "projects that matter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazaar_(software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazaar_%28software))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software))
obviously passionate about it as well...

Canis familiaris
October 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
You're the only one we know who uses more RAM than hard drive space.

:lolflag:

I guess AI can't hibernate...

Artificial Intelligence
October 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I guess AI can't hibernate...

Please report the bug and attach error.log

Rocket2DMn
October 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Please report the bug and attach error.log

me@somebox $: strace /usr/bin/AI
stack:00000001 00000011 00000011 00000111

dcstar
October 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Can someone explain to me why some weird cultural "celebration" of one single country on this planet is foisted on the rest of us?

I thought Ubuntu was founded on openness and understanding of all cultures, so it might just be free of the biases of one particular group.

If you want to have this Halloween stuff on the US sub-forums then fine, but don't shove it down the throats of the rest of us, ok?

In my country there is a growing resistance to this particular cultural import, and I personally find it offensive that I see it on a supposedly global forum.

kevdog
October 22nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
No offense, but WAAAH!

Nano Geek
October 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Can someone explain to me why some weird cultural "celebration" of one single country on this planet is foisted on the rest of us?

I thought Ubuntu was founded on openness and understanding of all cultures, so it might just be free of the biases of one particular group.

If you want to have this Halloween stuff on the US sub-forums then fine, but don't shove it down the throats of the rest of us, ok?

In my country there is a growing resistance to this particular cultural import, and I personally find it offensive that I see it on a supposedly global forum.It isn't being foisted on you. It's just two, maybe three threads and a few changed avatars. You do not need to participate in it at all.

Does it really bother you that much?

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM

We don't see it that way. Also, your facts are wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

True. It isn't a "bias" though.

Ah! So openness and understanding of all cultures excludes the USA right? Not everyone in the USA celebrates Halloween (like me).

In my country there is a growing resistance to this particular cultural import, and I personally find it offensive that I see it on a supposedly global forum.
Then your country is "anti-ubuntu". The USA has assimilated celebrations from all over the world.

Your attitude is very...hostile I think. Read the irony in your post...

It came to the USA by Ireland, so should the USA reject it? That is your attitude.

The only USA specific holidays would be political ones and Thanksgiving.

cyberdork33
October 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
The only USA specific holidays would be political ones and Thanksgiving.
If Thanksgiving is "USA" only, then you could argue that Columbus Day is as well. ;)

LaRoza
October 23rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
If Thanksgiving is "USA" only, then you could argue that Columbus Day is as well. ;)

Well, our particular Thanksgiving day. I know other countries have similiar holidays with the same name. I should have specified.

kevdog
October 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
LaRoza

Your new icon scares me!

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
True Halloween isn't really ours nor is christmas (even if the commercial sector has taken it over) only US poltical holidays and thanksgiving (us) is ours. Columbus day could also be argued as a North American Holiday, but isn't majorly celebrated like Halloween or Christmas.

MasterNetra
October 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
I think the issue would be changing it back, as each group (whatever they are) will have their own set icons already and would have to be changed back, one at a time. (Assuming vBulletin is like other forum software).

Couldn't whoever who changes them, make a script or something to make the changes then change them back? Where's the programing creativity here? :p

LaRoza
October 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Couldn't whoever who changes them, make a script or something to make the changes then change them back? Where's the programing creativity here? :p

He has a full time job and a family I think ;)

wieman01
October 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I didn't know you were a mod, when did this happen?
Been off line for a while, so it took a little longer...

Me a mod? Man, yes... how did that happen?! Admin please? Didn't know you were still around. :-)

lukjad007
October 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM
For a second I mistook wieman01 for kevdog. :rolleyes: Silly me.