PDA

View Full Version : A Campaign: Use Apt-P2P!

smartboyathome
October 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Apt-P2P will basically allow us to share bandwidth in a bittorrent-like fashion. So I propose everyone use it after they upgrade to intrepid!

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Apt-P2P will basically allow us to share bandwidth in a bittorrent-like fashion. So I propose everyone use it after they upgrade to intrepid!

but that would be to late ;)

i thought about this too from the other thread we where talking in, but major distro updates/upgrades would be the ideal time to make use of something like this.

Bou
October 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM

So how would we do that?

mihaiv
October 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.camrdale.org/apt-p2p/install/

Paqman
October 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Looks like a good idea, but how well has it been tested?

MaxIBoy
October 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'd have to see if Comcast throttles it down.

mips
October 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Stupid question but how is security implemented in this? I read the faq but saw nothing about that.

smartboyathome
October 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM
but that would be to late ;)

i thought about this too from the other thread we where talking in, but major distro updates/upgrades would be the ideal time to make use of something like this.

I am seeing if I can backport Apt-P2P and python-twisted-web2 to hardy using my intrepid install, so that the hardy people can use it. Just a word of warning everyone, it does require a forwarded port from your router (if you have one).

So how would we do that?

Install Apt-P2P from the packages from GIT, from the Intrepid packages (you only need 2), or from the backported packages I create if I can create them.

Looks like a good idea, but how well has it been tested?

I don't think it has been since it just made it into Intrepid. and was just released last May. Still, it works for me just fine.

I'd have to see if Comcast throttles it down.

I have comcast and am using it. I am not worried, as I probably won't even get near the limit (It would take the equivelent of downloading 2 DVDs a day to get over the limit).

Stupid question but how is security implemented in this? I read the faq but saw nothing about that.

It is implimented through hashes I think, sort of like how bittorrent does it. You can always check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kademlia) (it is based off of that).

EDIT: I have set up a brainstorm idea to let us add an option to software sources to use this. It is available here (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/14040/), if you want to vote for/against it.

Polygon
October 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
comcast does not throttle torrents anymore fyi. they got their butts handed to them by the FCC over that. Now they will just cut off your service if you go over like 250 gb a month (which is a lot....)

mips
October 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
comcast does not throttle torrents anymore fyi.

Are you sure about that? The FCC gave them till the end of the year to change things.

Polygon
October 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Are you sure about that? The FCC gave them till the end of the year to change things.

oh. well then, never mind. point was they lost the battle and they will stop throttling torrents....eventually =P