PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] how to make drive icons appear on right side?

Entheogen
October 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
i have a stupid question about gnome.. for example, i want all my cd/dvd icons appear on the right side of desktop and i want them stretched. can i do that and how? :) i can do that for one icon, but gnome doesn't remember that, so when i insert another cd it is small icon on left side..

mandrill
October 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
i have a stupid question about gnome.. for example, i want all my cd/dvd icons appear on the right side of desktop and i want them stretched. can i do that and how? :) i can do that for one icon, but gnome doesn't remember that, so when i insert another cd it is small icon on left side..

I believe you can accomplish that with the configuration editor. if you do not have it installed, do so - it will appear under System Tools.So your path will be system tools > configuration editor > apps > nautilus > icon view, or > preferences.

Entheogen
October 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
you are talking about gconf-editor? if so, i cannot find any configuration line that could help me.. :|

mandrill
October 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
you are talking about gconf-editor? if so, i cannot find any configuration line that could help me.. :|

I just tried this, and it worked. Whether it will in your particular instance or not, I don't know.

Right-click desktop, uncheck "keep aligned" - move icons to where you want them, re-check "keep aligned". I restarted and and everything came back up on the right side, just where I left it.

Entheogen
October 4th, 2008, 12:02 AM
it works for one cd.. i set one dvd "Movies" to right corner and stretched it, and whenever i insert that disk it is on right side & stretched. but when i insert another disk, for example some data disk, it is on left corner & small icon. :|

mandrill
October 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM
it works for one cd.. i set one dvd "Movies" to right corner and stretched it, and whenever i insert that disk it is on right side & stretched. but when i insert another disk, for example some data disk, it is on left corner & small icon. :|

I bet a symlink would do it.

Entheogen
October 4th, 2008, 12:36 PM
i think symlink wouldnt appear when cd inserted and disappear when ejected.. :|

mandrill
October 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
i think symlink wouldnt appear when cd inserted and disappear when ejected.. :|

I think you're right. This may be one of those deals where you spend a disproportionate amount of time looking for what turns out to be a completely simple 10-second solution.

Good Luck!