PDA

View Full Version : I am trying anime/manga, any ideas where to start?

barbedsaber
October 3rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Ok, I watched deathnote, loved it, read some of the manga, loved it. I want to try some other anime/manga, some things that are similar (intelligent, psychological warfare) and some that are compleatly different, (drama, action, whatever) my point is, I want to take a look at what there is, (my local library has a fair bit, and I can find stuff, even if I have to go to amazon.com. Any anime or manga that you liked, and would be willing to suggest? (am probably going to get bleach.)

Icehuck
October 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ok, I watched deathnote, loved it, read some of the manga, loved it. I want to try some other anime/manga, some things that are similar (intelligent, psychological warfare) and some that are compleatly different, (drama, action, whatever) my point is, I want to take a look at what there is, (my local library has a fair bit, and I can find stuff, even if I have to go to amazon.com. Any anime or manga that you liked, and would be willing to suggest? (am probably going to get bleach.)

Skip Bleach and Naruto. Both run into what I call the "Superman Dilemma" very quickly. Basically the hero is unbeatable and no one can stop him.

A couple good ones to start are Claymore, History's Strongest Disciple, and Elfen Lied.

Kuroyume
October 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evangelion. it will mess you up.

All the Macross are pretty good too... Shoujo Kakumei Utena is pretty cool too...

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saikano

This one will mess you up. Much more than Eva. The Macross stuff is more light-hearted (Macross Frontier, the latest opus of the saga, will make for a great introduction to it).

Northsider
October 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Both are brilliant! Anything by Studio ghibli is pretty good, especially newer stuff (Howls Moving Castle, spirited Away). Akira is cool if anything for the animation quality, and in that regard so is Steamboy and Freedom Project. Blood+ is another one of my favorite series, and Claymore as mentioned is pretty sweet.

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Freedom Project.

Agreed. I TL'ed that one into French and it's been long since I liked a SciFi anime that much.

m0ntels
October 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Serial Experiments: Lain

Lain is influenced by philosophical subjects such as reality, identity, and communication. The series focuses on Lain Iwakura, an adolescent girl living in suburban Japan, and her introduction to the Wired, a global communications network similar to the Internet. Lain lives with her middle class family, which consists of her inexpressive older sister Mika, her cold mother, and her computer-obsessed father. The first ripple on the pond of Lain's lonely life appears when she learns that girls from her school have received an e-mail from Chisa Yomoda, a schoolmate who committed suicide. When Lain receives the message at home, Chisa tells her (in real time) that she is not dead, but has just "abandoned the flesh", and has found God in the Wired. From then on, Lain is bound to a quest which will take her ever deeper into both the network and her own thoughts.

Somewhat slow, but it gets pretty creepy.

I'll second Evangelion, but like Lain, you may have to rewatch it to really figure out some parts. Saikano is straightforward and very good, but pretty darn sad.

TravisNewman
October 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Metropolis. Absolutely amazing film.

Lord Xeb
October 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic

pp.
October 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Metropolis. Absolutely amazing film.

Metropolis? Fritz Lang? 1927? Anime?

Phreaker
October 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I recommend the more futuristic titles.Most of the fantasy/medieval seem very-general.
I highly recommend starting with Ergo Proxy and Ghost in the shell

Sinkingships7
October 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
I second Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm pretty positive you'll love that.

Chilli Bob
October 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Absolutely must watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. The most amazing TV series ever. As already mentioned, it WILL mess with your head. It starts like a regular mecha but goes somewhere else. A word of warning though, you must watch them in order, you can't just catch individual episodes. I've watched the series right through seven or eight times and still don't understand some of it. Then when you have watched the series there are two movies that give alternate endings to the series for those that didn't like the TV ending.

@pp. There was an anime made called "Metropolis" a few years back. It's pretty good. It doesn't follow the (awesome) Fritz Lang movie exactly, but uses enough of the concepts to be able to use the name without insulting the original.

The traditional route to getting into Anime are these key movies...
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll.

Also +1 for anything by Studio Ghibli is cool. My favorites are Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

I havn't seen a lot of the TV series, but Bubblegum Crisis and Full Metal Panic were cool. Also Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex.

NintendoTogepi
October 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm not a big Anime fan, but I loved the movie "Akira".

spupy
October 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic

I can vouch for only what I've watched.
Full Metal Alchemist was a little long for me. Still I liked it, it had very nice ideas. The characters are lovable. Very interesting story. Must watch classic.
Full Metal Panic is more light-hearted. Don't miss the Fumoffu season. :) Also lovable characters, somehow interesing stories.
Elfen Lied - maybe too gory. But also the saddest anime I've seen. If you don't mind the blood you can find it is quite good.
Evangelion - another must watch. You can only hate it or love it (I love it). Starts pretty normal and generic, later goes all out crazy. A movie remake hit the theatres in Japan last year, we are waiting the second remake movie (they might not be remakes, but retakes, because the story is deviating from the original.)
Cowboy Bebop. Classic. Cool characters. I didn't like it that much because of the per-episode story arcs.

Sorry for the long post, I need to kill some time :)

blakjesus
October 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I would suggest Full Metal Alchemist. Its a good action series with a very good storyline. The main protagonist is faced with many psychological and moral issues.

Also i would definitely recommend Outlaw star if you like good sci-fi series.

Frak
October 4th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Ghost in the shell, SAC

Loved that show. You could also try Evangelion Genesis, but that will mess with your mind... which is why I loved it.

tigrezno
October 4th, 2008, 01:20 AM
buy Blame! (10 books)

just ART and incredible story.

also Akira, buy the 6 books.

solitaire
October 4th, 2008, 01:38 AM
ones that should be on your "To watch List"
Ghost in the shell: both movies and all the Series (called: Stand Alone Complex)
Evangelion series
Paltabor 1 & 2
Akira
BattleAngel Alita
Macross Series
Cowboy BeBop
Vexille (Not the best but good story)
*edit*
Opps forgot "Appleseed"

Trail
October 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
+1 Ergo Proxy
+1 Serial Experiments Lain
+1 Cowboy Bebop
+1 Samurai Champloo (but watch it after bebop imo)
+1 All Ghost in the shells

I got plenty more to recommend, but these should suffice :)

SupaSonic
October 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
If you'd rather watch a movie, I'd recommend '5 centimeters per second'. It is the best drawn anime movie I've ever seen, and it has a great story. Other movies made by Shinkai are very good too.

Other good movies are Satoshi Kon's 'Millenium Actress' and 'Tokyo Godfathers'. Both are stunning.

As for some series... I enjoyed 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' a lot.

barbedsaber
October 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I will have to try a few of these.
(logs onto amazon.com)

barbedsaber
October 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saikano

This one will mess you up.

Evangelion. it will mess you up.

what do you mean by that? mess up as in whoa, thats messed up (overly gorey and well messed up) or somthing else. gore is not really my thing.

ZarathustraDK
October 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Some of them have already been mentioned :

- Neon Genesis Evangelion - An absolutely must-watch if you like getting mind-f*cked, my personal favorite too. It sets itself apart from other anime because "regular" anime usually pick up a certain theme/aspect of the human experience (ethics, relationships, or something else); Evangelion on the other hand picks up the human experience itself, something that is quite hard to believe when you've watched the first 12 episodes (which is kinda like your average monster-of-the-week-show). The last third of the episodes though you're in for one helluva ride. I showed the whole series + movies to my philosophy-class as an "extra-curricular activity" (meaning it's ok to view copyrighted material without obtaining permission ;) ); after the end of the series everybody was all like "OMG! YOU CAN DO THAT WITH CARTOONS!", a few didn't "get it" (and we're talking philosophy-students here), and the teacher clapping in her little hands. It is THAT GOOD, but only if you "get it".

- Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion - Very interesting geopolitics. Will keep you at the edge of the seat through all 48 episodes. The ending is just...perfect. The theme is about how there's basically no "good guys/bad guys" in conflict, rather differences of oppinion on how to attain the best society. Or in one sentence : Everybody looses in war.

- Ginga Nagareboshi Gin & Ginga Densetsu Weed - Two animes about dogs (yes you heard me right, DOGS). In the western world the show aired as "Silver Fang" or "The Adventures of Silver" or something like that.
The first series is an old, pretty generic one where the theme is about honor and working together to accomplish a common task. Still pretty exciting though, as no gore and blood is spared (they actually put this movie next to Popeye-cartoons at the local video-rental when I was a kid, it's like they just said "Hey it's a cartoon, it's for kids".
The second series is much more up to date animation-wise. It has a heavy theme about Kantian Ethics (The Golden rule, or "Act only by the maxim that you would want it to be a general law", loosely translated). The interesting part is how thoroughly it gets to you when the good guys brandish this ethic against the bad guys.

- Elfen Lied - Absolutely recommended. Blood, gore and *****, and of course the interesting part, how evil is created/arises (can't reveal any more).

- Chobits - Rather entertaining piece on Human/AI-relationships. Lot's of fun.

- Grave of the Fireflies - If you ever want to feel miserable, watch this one.

- Hellsing Ultimate (OVA's) - The series of Hellsing is bad because it diverts from the manga-canon. However the OVA's are very good, follow canon, and have beautiful animation. I find it interesting solely because of the main-characters obscenely overpowered nature, there just isn't any beating him, which makes for quite a refreshing (and bloody) anime.

Daisuke_Aramaki
October 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Saikano, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell :)

billgoldberg
October 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM

The only thing I ever could watch was dragon ball Z (not normal nor gt).

m0ntels
October 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
mess up as in whoa, thats messed up (overly gorey and well messed up) or something else. gore is not really my thing.

Saikano - I really liked this series and the follow up movie, but it is pretty much a tragic love story. Without giving away too much, it's about a boy and his semi-serious girlfriend, and the girlfriend agrees to become a governmental experiment for the patriotic defense of her country. She pretty much sacrifices her childhood, her family, her relationships, etc to protect her country.

As events move on, we see more and more how putting the survival of an entire country on the shoulders of a teenage girl can really mess up things. I think the ending is perfectly done, but is one of the saddest things I have ever seen. This show is really about the characters' lives more than any fighting. The messed up part is in the emotions you'll go through watching it and feeling a constant sense of helplessness. That's what I felt at least.

Evangelion - One can easily love and hate this series and movies at the same time. I seriously dislike all of the characters in it with a passion. They are all rude, selfish, stubborn, and I just want to smack them all to get some sense in their heads. But at the same time, that is why it feels so real even though there are aliens and giant robots all over the place.

This show goes deep into mixes of multiple religions and psychological theories. It is half a story of man trying to fight off the end of days and half a story about how people survive their every day lives. All the characters have messed up pasts they must overcome if they want to survive, and they have to do it while fighting various near-indestructible aliens.

The multiple endings are equally as frustrating in that they aren't really clear and leave much to interpretation, which is both good and bad. The more you rewatch things, things take on different meanings and you notice more and more details that lead you to conclusions, but if you miss them, you wont know what's really going on. It just ends up drawing you in further and further overthinking things unless you've already given up and moved on to something less confusing.

Like I said, I loved and hated this series, and to be honest, I don't recommend it to people new to anime. I think this one is better enjoyed once you get used to how Japanese stories are different than American style stories. There is so much subtle detail I think a lot would be lost if you just dive right into this. That's just my opinion though.

Saikano is straight-forward and pretty easy to follow. Out of all the ones recommended so far in this thread, this one is pretty simple but with a great story, and not as kiddy-oriented as some of the others.

Trail
October 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
what do you mean by that? mess up as in whoa, thats messed up (overly gorey and well messed up) or somthing else. gore is not really my thing.

Well, Elfen Lied is a lot like that... I never enjoy gore either, but in this case I would say it's justified (well, the nudity isn't, though...).

It gives you a stomachache while throwing some philosophical questions as well, and in the end it makes for some very intense scenes which are hard to forget. It is more of a sad and tragic show about the nature of humanity than anything else, so if you can handle the strong scenes, I would say it's a must-see show.

SupaSonic
October 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Oh right, how could I forget.

Great Teacher Onizuka - pretty much the funniest anime I've ever watched.

FLCL - definitely not for everybody, this one is totally nuts. I mean it. It is short though - only 6 episodes.

Frak
October 8th, 2008, 02:29 AM
FLCL - definitely not for everybody, this one is totally nuts. I mean it. It is short though - only 6 episodes.

I never understood it, but I REALLY liked it.

King_Critter
October 8th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Full Metal Alchemist is the best manga I've ever read. Extremely well written, it bounces back and forth from comedy to utter seriousness in the blink of an eye. The action is excellent and almost cinema-like in pacing, unlike other manga where it's just a bunch of indecipherable explosions and people with funky hairdos shouting out their attacks (e.g.: kamihamiha! :P)

The managa takes place in an alternate-universe World War I era Germany (though the country's name is different, the similarities are obvious) where alchemy actually works and is a respected science. The two protagonists are brothers who, when they were children, tried to use alchemy to bring their mother back from the dead. This didn't work, and left the older brother missing an arm and a leg, and the younger brother missing his entire body -- his soul, however, was trapped in a gigantic suit of armor.

The main story line deals with a shadowy plot to... well, I can't really say much without spoiling it. Suffice to say it involves killing a lot of people to do really terrible things.

I can't really speak for the anime, as I've only seen one or two episodes of it. I do know, however, that the story lines are quite different -- the reason being is that the anime wrapped up a while ago, but the manga is still going on.

To sum it up: Full Metal Alchemist is super-duper awesome. Read it. :P

zmjjmz
October 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM
+1 for FMA (manga).
Oh, and Noein is good too.
As for Elfen Lied, I think it's just ridiculous. Tons of gore and nudity and probably one of the lesser plots (when you compare it to Death Note).
Of course, I only watched 10 eps, but I got the idea.

As for comedy gold, Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu is insanely hilarious.
I wasted so much time watching that last year.

Chame_Wizard
October 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Bleach
Naruto
Claymore
:twisted:

Viranh
October 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I really loved Tsukihime and I highly recommend it. It was depressing though.

conundrumx
October 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
My recommendations which have not already been mentioned:

Trigun; Kinda old westerny, lot of good action, some brainy stuff, too.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal; An OVA for a good series (Rurouni Kenshin), easily one of my favorite movies, anime or not. Lots of blood.

Gundam SEED; Mecha anime (giant robots), one of the best Gundam shows by far. Action, moral dilemmas and, as is par for Gundam, some guy with a mask. ;)

8th MS Team; Another Gundam, but radically different from most of the others. Short, with a more potent story.

Princess Mononoke; How could no one have mentioned this?! Excellent movie.

Also, I'll vouch for Bebop, Code Geass, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (if you like it the series, Stand Alone complex is also superb), Full Metal Alchemist, FLCL and Samurai Champloo.

If you liked Death Note you will probably love Code Geass.

S0VERE1GN
October 9th, 2008, 12:45 AM
uhm, Big O is good
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bleach
Outlaw Star is awesome, the girls in it are hot :confused:
Samurai Champloo
and well, Afro Samurai is actually american made, but its anime style, and very cool.

oh yea and Berserk, its an incomplete series because the animator got very sick and died about halfway through, but the eps made are awesome. its also continued/accompanied by manga.

danbuter
October 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Cowboy Bebop. Greatest anime ever made.

nick09
October 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
bobobo is a real good manga if you want comedy.

wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobobo-bo_Bo-bobo

Chii
October 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
First one I'd have to recommend if you didn't see this coming is Chobits. First anime I saw, and quite cutesy but VERY adorable. (I prefer the manga to the anime but it's still pretty nifty). Also made by the same group which made Chobits is Angelic Layer (again cutsey), or Code Geass which is pretty nifty. (and not so cutesy)

If you want anime that makes you think, and I mean REALLY think and might leave you with your brains leaking out of your ear. I'd say go for Serial Experiment Lain.

Another good one which was mentioned is Macross Frontier (currently watching this one). Which has some slice of life to it, and mostly Mecha.

Trinity Blood is another nice anime; but if you wish to read it I'd say skip the manga and just read the novels xD

There is also Ghost In the Shell, both the movies, and the Stand Alone complexes.

Also if you want to watch one which is a work in progress ( two episodes out, out of 6 total each 15 min long.) You may want to also check out Eve no Jikan/Time of Eve. Which is really nifty imo.

Hope this helps!

barbedsaber
October 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
you guys are going to make me broke. oh well, at least shipping is better value when you buy heaps.

shadylookin
October 9th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I think neon genesis evangelon is overrated. The last 2 episodes were by far the worst anime episodes I've ever seen(I've seen a lot). I'll admit the first 24 episodes were fairly good, but it doesn't really make up for the disappointing end. If you do bother watching the series I would recommend skipping the last 2 episodes and going straight to Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion which is a real ending.

If you just want to mess with your head elfin lied is insane and consistently good

I think if you like death note then you would find code geass enjoyable.

here are some anime that I thought were pretty good
Cowboy bebop

black lagoon (one of the best opening songs ever imo, lots of action)

code geass (lots of plot twists)

Seirei no Moribito (a bit cheesy and sentimental but worth watching)

Appleseed (sci-fi)

Eureka Seven(has some definite parallels to NGE)

elfin lied (pretty gory very bizarre but it's like a train wreck you can't stop watchin)

Kaiba (don't let the animation fool you)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann-by the name alone you can tell this is completely over the top. Don't trying using your brain, this anime tries to communicate with a more emotional tone.

FLCL- I think every anime fan should dedicate 3 hours to watching this series.

BGFG
October 9th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Yuh Know, I hated Full metal Alchemist, but i sincerely believe it was because of the english dubs.The story was quite engaging. For the true anime experience try the Fansubs
Eclipse, Lunar, Dattebayo to name some quality ones.
This way you get the correct emotions and feeling of a scene with great subs so you know what's going on.
I'm a pretty big naruto and more recently bleach fan myself.
I loved Claymore although the end was a bit anticlimatic , Currently Enjoying - Darker Than Black. there's also a witchblade Anime if there are any fans here.
Princess Mononoke is an absolute classic.
The soundtracks and seasonal theme songs for some these productions are pretty amazing also especially naruto.
Just be prepared for the occasional crappy end in some of the one-shot 22-26 episode series.

I've basically stopped watching tv. Everything i watch, i choose and it comes through my bandwith... :)

barbedsaber
October 9th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I've basically stopped watching tv. Everything i watch, i choose and it comes through my bandwidth... :)

but, I pay $70 AUD for a mere 20gig download limit a month, my torrents are normally throttled to ~20kbps, while my normal DL speed is ~300kbps. It seems that amazon would be faster, and I could change my internet plan to 10 gigs a month, because I would spend more time watching anime, and less time on youtube.

BGFG
October 9th, 2008, 02:59 AM
but, I pay $70 AUD for a mere 20gig download limit a month, my torrents are normally throttled to ~20kbps, while my normal DL speed is ~300kbps. It seems that amazon would be faster, and I could change my internet plan to 10 gigs a month, because I would spend more time watching anime, and less time on youtube.

Genuinely, that sucks. I've got unlimited but my speed is around 65kib/s. Thinking about a 120kiB/s package currently. I'm not a big fan of youtube, i pop in there occasionally, but i prefer the quality of avi and mkv files.

Deluge has been blessing to me. Comics i had long ago lost, TV series i needed to catch up on, some i loved but were cancelled...

Long live torrents, and definitely check out Darker than Black man, i haven't finished the series but it's going pretty damn good.
Also as a rule, i try to stick to modern anime. anything before 2000 i approach cautiously, S Cry Ed for example. Lots of potential but got lost along the way...

Claymore blew me away and that was pretty much the anime that made me go modern...

Lord Xeb
October 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I got sites for ya that you might like:
www.animethat.com
www.biganimepile.com

ZarathustraDK
October 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
No download-limit, 12 mb/s here :D

I think neon genesis evangelon is overrated. The last 2 episodes were by far the worst anime episodes I've ever seen(I've seen a lot). I'll admit the first 24 episodes were fairly good, but it doesn't really make up for the disappointing end. If you do bother watching the series I would recommend skipping the last 2 episodes and going straight to Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion which is a real ending.

It's funny how people can so extremely disagree on those 2 episodes. I think they are the most brilliant piece of cinema ever :) . Sure, there isn't much anime-animation going on, but those 2 episodes are what the whole Eva-mind**** is about.

mrgnash
October 11th, 2008, 01:30 AM
The best place to start is not to.

nick09
October 11th, 2008, 03:12 AM
you guys are going to make me broke. oh well, at least shipping is better value when you buy heaps.

Then we are gonna make you bankrupt.:lolflag:

Though you can skip the ones you don't like and save some cash.

lemuriaX
October 11th, 2008, 03:30 AM
definitely recommend Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa

Trail
October 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
It's funny how people can so extremely disagree on those 2 episodes. I think they are the most brilliant piece of cinema ever :) . Sure, there isn't much anime-animation going on, but those 2 episodes are what the whole Eva-mind**** is about.

Actually yeah, I liked the second-from-last episode the most by a very large margin. A lot of emotions came rushing in, and I doubt I'll forget some particular scenes any time soon. I won't go into details here, but i think it's safe to say that the whole series would be worth it for me even for just that particular episode.

frodon
October 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I would advice you to pay special attention to GONZO studio animes, this studio is really the reference for me.

My personal list of advised animes (mainly SF) :
Trinity Blood
Speed Grapher
Ergo Proxy
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Vampire Knight
Darker Than Black
Nana
Bleach
Blood+
Elfen Lied
Wichblade
Black lagoon
Baccano!
Rosario + Vampire
Solty Rei

I'm forgeting many good one i've seen but these are the one i have directly in mind.