PDA

View Full Version : Will the Canonical's servers stay alive the 30th of October?

artir
October 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
What do you think? Will happen the same that happened with Hardy?

Or maybe Canonical has bought new shiny servers?

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
torrent!

solitaire
October 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm just waiting to see what happens in the 31st!

Will Ibex be a "Trick" or "Treat" on peoples systems...... ;)

rocknrolf77
October 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Use torrents and everything will be great. If everybody uses torrents and seeds you will get the same speed anyway.

JetskiDude911
October 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I can't recall how I downloaded Hardy, but I think I used a torrent for it. I wasn't aware the servers went down, but I think I might have also been out of the country on the release day.

Hopefully the servers will stay up. I'll probably be downloading via torrents.

smartboyathome
October 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
I think the servers will stay up, though this is asked each release. I will just torrent like everyone else. :p

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
is there any way to do a distro upgrade (as opposed to clean install) using a torrent?

like, a .deb package or something...

SpenceMakesSense
October 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
:-\"mabybe if everyone uses a torrent i can go ahead and download it from the server :-\"

smartboyathome
October 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
is there any way to do a distro upgrade (as opposed to clean install) using a torrent?

Not currently. :(

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Not currently. :(

does anyone know if work is being done on that? is this an origional idea, or has it been thought of a gillion times?

im gonna go click the 'get involved' link on ubuntu.com and dig around a bit, but i know a lot of you folks are much more informed about how things work and can probably get an answer sooner than i will :)

smartboyathome
October 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
does anyone know if work is being done on that? is this an origional idea, or has it been thought of a gillion times?

im gonna go click the 'get involved' link on ubuntu.com and dig around a bit, but i know a lot of you folks are much more informed about how things work and can probably get an answer sooner than i will :)

It has been done, see apt-torrent, debtorrent, and apt-p2p. :)

fatality_uk
October 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Well I hope people actually DO torrent this time!

Vadi
October 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Torrents were very active last time, but the main site ran out of bandwidth, and people couldn't get the torrent links.

Anyway, a list in random order of how can you help:

- download from a local mirror, not canonical's one
- use torrents
- upgrade either during RC or 2 weeks after
- don't press F5 on ubuntu.com every min!

Sephoroth
October 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'll torrent it if I can. Unfortunately I'll probably miss launch date :cry:.

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Torrents were very active last time, but the main site ran out of bandwidth, and people couldn't get the torrent links.

Anyway, a list in random order of how can you help:

- download from a local mirror, not canonical's one
- use torrents
- upgrade either during RC or 2 weeks after
- don't press F5 on ubuntu.com every min!

good list of ways to help out. a solution from can's perspective, perhaps, is to release the torrent a few days or a week early... then all of us can just "press F5 every min" in our torrent client till the torrent actually points to something that is being seeded. :)

I-75
October 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I will use torrent.

Phreaker
October 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Torrent for me .

Jim!
October 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Direct download. Unless download speed is extremely slow, then I'll just get the torrent.

TBOL3
October 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Why break a perfectly good system? It'll probably be a few months before I upgrade.

Frak
October 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Remember, torrents are faster with more people|the opposite of direct server downloads.

ALSO:

Remember to reset your mirrors in System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Download From: -> Other -> Select Best Server

The main mirror will be incredibly slow, doing this will increase your speeds to max.

Sephoroth
October 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Why break a perfectly good system? It'll probably be a few months before I upgrade.

Because then you get to fix it!
:lolflag:

ghindo
October 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I've already upgraded to Intrepid, but if I were to download Intrepid, I would use torrents as everyone else should :)

Vadi
October 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM

That's your choice, but you'll be just a pain in the *** to developers who'd like you to have updated libraries with fixes / new features that they can use in their programs.

Your choice of course.

K.Mandla
October 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Avoid the crowds.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/beat-the-rush/

TBOL3
October 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
That's your choice, but you'll be just a pain in the *** to developers who'd like you to have updated libraries with fixes / new features that they can use in their programs.

Your choice of course.

True. That is probably the #1 reason why I would update. And that's why I say I won't update for about 2 months. Because thats when there will be new packages screaming UPDATE!

smartboyathome
October 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
a solution from can's perspective, perhaps, is to release the torrent a few days or a week early... then all of us can just "press F5 every min" in our torrent client till the torrent actually points to something that is being seeded. :)

Because that isn't when the stable build is released. Since the torrents are released at the same time as the ISOs, that signals that the final release ISO is released, which means that releasing torrents early would do no good. ;)

Frak
October 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Because that isn't when the stable build is released. Since the torrents are released at the same time as the ISOs, that signals that the final release ISO is released, which means that releasing torrents early would do no good. ;)
...unless you have a seed server that does nothing anyways, so you could just load it in there and wait...

niccholaspage
October 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I know I will update to the Beta probably 2 days before Intrepid comes out on my Desktop Computer. It probably would not make a difference if I upgraded to a beta when the full version is releasing 2 days after:)

Corfy
October 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Avoid the crowds.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/beat-the-rush/

I know I will update to the Beta probably 2 days before Intrepid comes out on my Desktop Computer. It probably would not make a difference if I upgraded to a beta when the full version is releasing 2 days after:)

I started doing that with Feisty, and it has worked out wonderfully so far. I upgraded to the release candidate a few days before release, after most of the testing is done, but before everyone swamps the servers.

I probably should upgrade earlier than that and help with testing, but I'm not quite that brave.

Kevbert
October 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Why update as Hardy Heron is LTS ? and hopefully the fixes in Intrepid will, in time, be ported to Hardy. In saying that I may just upgrade from Beta/RC if possible a few days later.

Jonny0204
October 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Meh, i doubt it. I waited hours to see the download option appear on canonical's site. Speaking of which, does anybody know where in the world Canonical bases it's times on? ie. do they follow greenwich meantime +1 as i think it is in South Africa, or do they wait until the US reaches the certain date? ie GMT -8 or whatever.

I think this time i'll take one for the team and resist downloading until the evening of the 31st while am at a party, therefore nobody loses :), everybody wins, i get drunk, come home and it'll be finished, then i fall asleep hammered haha.

bobbocanfly
October 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Going to be either seeding the torrent or hosting an iso mirror from the shiny new VPS i just bought for the occasion. Going to be fun!

kevin11951
October 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM

im not sure if this has been said yet or not, but you can download the Alternate cd, and it will ask if you want to do a dist upgrade from that.

artir
October 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Winners will get a free beer! payed by yourself

fedex1993
October 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
http downloading no torrents heck yes.

MasterNetra
October 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
im not sure if this has been said yet or not, but you can download the Alternate cd, and it will ask if you want to do a dist upgrade from that.

hmm i thought you could upgrade it. But oh well I'm switching to the 32bit anyway so i would probably need to do a clean install anyway.

Less then 24 hours until 8.10's release!! Yay!

Xzoky
October 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It's gonna be a million-peer torrent ^^
But I doubt all of us will wait for their sharing ratio to hit 1.0 when it's finished downloading. Anyway, I will !!

snova
October 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I will download directly (from a local mirror, at the least) unless I can find a torrent client for Windows within the next day.

Because I can't use my computer (which has four or five torrent clients on it that I installed for a comparison) until I reinstall.

Xzoky
October 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I will download directly (from a local mirror, at the least) unless I can find a torrent client for Windows within the next day.

µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/) is your friend !!

schauerlich
October 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think the servers to download Ubuntu will survive the day. The servers to run the forums, however, will be dying daily in the next two weeks or so. Maybe this will be enough to convince Canonical to upgrade the hardware.

snova
October 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/) is your friend !!

Just what I needed! Now I can take advantage of the other few million torrenters.

It's small, too... very nice.

I think the servers to download Ubuntu will survive the day. The servers to run the forums, however, will be dying daily in the next two weeks or so. Maybe this will be enough to convince Canonical to upgrade the hardware.

The only problems I have ever encountered with this site are database errors. vBulletin puts an error message in the HTML source, though, so I know what's happening- MySQL is complaining about "max connections exceeded".

But yeah, this site is probably going to have load problems the same way the download servers will.

schauerlich
October 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
The only problems I have ever encountered with this site are database errors. vBulletin puts an error message in the HTML source, though, so I know what's happening- MySQL is complaining about "max connections exceeded".

But yeah, this site is probably going to have load problems the same way the download servers will.

If you hang around #ubuntuforums, occasionally jdong will share the load average on the servers. On an otherwise normal day it was around 325.

dasunst3r
October 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I've had Intrepid since beta, but I'll help seed it via BitTorrent.

Corfy
October 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I did a dist upgrade to the RC this weekend. I had to download 1.5 GB on one computer (which I let run overnight) and 1.2 GB on another computer (which I ran while my wife and I were away from the house for a few hours). I'm glad I got to beat the rush on those. I may have a few updates this weekend, but nothing compared to that.

I'll wait until next week sometime to grab the final ISO, but I'm good for now.

bsharp
October 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I won't be upgrading for a while, but I'm gonna seed Intrepid anyway.

snova
October 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
If you hang around #ubuntuforums, occasionally jdong will share the load average on the servers. On an otherwise normal day it was around 325.

Great. I don't have an IRC client for Windows either. :)

Just goes to show you how addicted to Ubuntu (and the splendid array of software) I am. Were it not for the occasional bug... ah well.

Lostincyberspace
October 29th, 2008, 08:00 PM
why not get xchat.

Here is a free windows build. I use when I am on windows.
http://www.silverex.org/news/

lisati
October 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I'm just waiting to see what happens in the 31st!

Will Ibex be a "Trick" or "Treat" on peoples systems...... ;)

Which time zone? I'm west of the date line......

snova
October 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I was joking (mostly). I actually did download an Xchat installer a while back for use on Windows, but as I never used it, it may not even still be on this computer.

I hope Konversation gets ported to KDE 4 soon, I like it...

nu2this
October 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The last time I dl'd Ubuntu I used a mirror I have no luck with torrents.:(
Maybe it's because I'm on Comcast.

Corfy
October 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
The last time I dl'd Ubuntu I used a mirror I have no luck with torrents.:(
Maybe it's because I'm on Comcast.

I haven't had much luck with torrents either, although to be honest, I don't think I have tried since I became a Comcast customer. I was previously an Insight customer, but all Insight customers in our area were switched to Comcast earlier this year.

jmate24
October 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I haven't had much luck with torrents either, although to be honest, I don't think I have tried since I became a Comcast customer. I was previously an Insight customer, but all Insight customers in our area were switched to Comcast earlier this year.

Yes, because your a comcast customer torrent's are blocked by default.:(
I plan on downloading the beta and doing a revamp of my system by adding a new 500GB Hard Drive:

32-bit Via Motherboard With a
P4 Prescott 3.2GHz
2G RAM
4GB IDE HDD Swap
80GB IDE divided into a 60GB / and a 20GB ~/
250GB ~/Music
500GB divided into a 42GB ~/Documents, 27.8GB ~/Photos, 27.8GB ~/Pictures, 2GB ~/Templates, 88.3GB ~/gtk-gnutella-downloads, 62.5GB ~/Public(shared folder), 27.8GB ~/.hidden(folder so that I can secure some of my sensitive docs), and a 222.2GB ~/Backup
1000.0GB ~/Videos I already have 270.0GB used for Music and Videos so it stays the same except when I go to do the revamp.:-\"