PDA

View Full Version : Can we Pre Order Ubuntu 8.10

bhoemen
October 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I was just wondering if we can pre order ubuntu 8.10 so that i don't have to wait as long

steeleyuk
October 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Shipit still have to wait for the release at the end of October, then print the CDs and send them out. Can't imagine that you'd get the CDs any quicker even if there was a preorder.

ZarathustraDK
October 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Huh?

I thought they'd dropped the idea of shipping every single release and only do LTS's from now on...

ukripper
October 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Huh?

I thought they'd dropped the idea of shipping every single release and only do LTS's from now on...

I believe so too.

Joeb454
October 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
You might still be able to pay for one.

There's still people who live in a dial-up area etc. where it may be highly impracticle to download a whole CD, so I'd assume that they'd still offer it in some way

steeleyuk
October 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
That would be a big loss to quite a few Ubuntu users out there...

billgoldberg
October 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
They are only shipping LTS releases?

Sources!!!

I hope that's not true.

I download and burn my releases but still order the cd just because it looks nicer.

Canis familiaris
October 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I hope they give latest Releases Via ShipIt. I ended up using Ubuntu only because of ShipIt because at that time I only had a dial up connection.

xeriouxi
October 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I looked through the Ubuntu site in regards to the ShipIt service and it says nowhere that it's only LTS releases. I don't think that it will stick with 8.04 as that would be rather stupid.

There are so many technological advancements that can happen within 2 years (which is what I think Shuttleworth suggested would be an approximate timeframe for LTS releases) and giving people 8.04 until 2010 would be a pretty disasterous move! XD

tommynz1975
October 4th, 2008, 01:18 AM
If only LTS are via shipit now, you can google for your local linux users group "lug" example "uk lug". Then you can burn a copy of the ISO from some nice soul.

Irihapeti
October 4th, 2008, 02:16 AM
You can also get Ubuntu isos with some PC magazines. I got all of mine with NZ PCWorld.

No pretty CDs of course, but still very handy for dialup users.

The other disadvantage is having to wait 2-3 months. However, that gives time for some of the initial bugs to get sorted out.

Grams79
October 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
The idea is sound... but not logical.
A 56k connection user should still have many options.
a. use another connection (friends, family, school, work and public computers).
b. download while you are away or sleeping.
c. order a CD copy on the final release date like everyone else.

Besides, if anyone starts downloading 8.10 on the 23rd they will have a final copy before the 30th.
And way before any official CDs are shipped.

nowotny
October 20th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Well... apparently it's possible to preorder 8.10... but am I the only one that gets an error saying I didn't specify the number of CDs when trying to make a request...? :/

beercz
October 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
You can't pre-order anything.

You may be able to order it, but not pre-order it!

AndyCooll
October 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Well... apparently it's possible to preorder 8.10... but am I the only one that gets an error saying I didn't specify the number of CDs when trying to make a request...? :/
Yeah, had to order using the "Special Request" form.

:cool:

eragon100
October 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, had to order using the "Special Request" form.

:cool:

me too, same problem, same solution :)