PDA

View Full Version : Kernel hackers achieved a 5 second boot up record

brunovecchi
October 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
They did it for an EEE Pc, using a custom Fedora distribution.
For desktop computers, boot up time is not that important since you turn it on once a day or so (or even less). But for notebooks, mininotebooks, netbooks, etc., boot up time is VERY important.

Slashdot (http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/08/10/02/1933206.shtml).

The actual article (http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/)

The second article explains very nicely with illustrative figures how they did the job.

3rdalbum
October 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
You can actually boot your computer in 5 seconds too, excluding BIOS time.

In GRUB, select your kernel line and press "e". I think you have to press "e" a second time to actually edit the arguments line.

The bit where it says "init=/bin/init" or something similar; change that to read "init=/bin/sh".

Press Enter and your system will boot up in probably about 5 seconds, to a command-line. No services will have been started... but it's booted up!

Trail
October 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
AMAGAD KERNEL HACKERS! DE KERNEL IS HACKED!!!1! I R GOING BACK 2 WINDOWS!!!

(it's not caps, it's shift)

hyper_ch
October 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
nice work :)

artir
October 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I read the article and they are releasing the software in a week or so.
They just replaced upstart with init, a new readahead AKA supereadahead and some patches on the kernel that will be available for 2.6.28, so Jaunty will probably be faster in booting than a mobile phone!

smartboyathome
October 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I read the article and they are releasing the software in a week or so.
They just replaced upstart with init, a new readahead AKA supereadahead and some patches on the kernel that will be available for 2.6.28, so Jaunty will probably be faster in booting than a mobile phone!

They also excluded services that Ubuntu needs (Cups, anyone? Wireless support? Sound Support?), which means that Ubuntu may not boot THAT fast.

Npl
October 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
I sold my TV some months ago, so I cant boot up my Amiga1200 right now... but im sure it took less than 5 seconds till Workbench (a graphical OS) is ready to use... all while running on a measy 50MHz

fedex1993
October 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
pretty cool but it wont load wireless support sound support in that little of time i bet.

mips
October 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
pretty cool but it wont load wireless support sound support in that little of time i bet.

It will if you compile the modules into the kernel. I don't think they crippled the netbook when they did this experiment.

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM

the article said they cut the kernel's boot time to one second - but estimate they could have cut it down to a half second.

their stated goal was not 'as fast as possible', it was 'five seconds'... meaning they could do it in less, meaning they have wiggle room, meaning if they want sound then they probably have it ;)

Elephantman5
October 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
AMAGAD KERNEL HACKERS! DE KERNEL IS HACKED!!!1! I R GOING BACK 2 WINDOWS!!!

(it's not caps, it's shift)

heh. :)

medic2000
October 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have an old laptop p3-600 300 mb ram. Its boot time is very long. How can i reduce it? By compiling all modules to kernel?

Ub1476
October 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have an old laptop p3-600 300 mb ram. Its boot time is very long. How can i reduce it? By compiling all modules to kernel?

Install Arch Linux or even Gentoo if you are up to the task.

MaxIBoy
October 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
WANT!

WANT!

WANT!

Looks like I've got an excuse to try compiling a kernel.

medic2000
October 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Install Arch Linux or even Gentoo if you are up to the task.

Sorry to mention it already Arch :) I am looking for further improvements.

mips
October 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Sorry to mention it already Arch :) I am looking for further improvements.

Read up on crux, vector, lfs etc

InfinityCircuit
October 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM
They also excluded services that Ubuntu needs (Cups, anyone? Wireless support? Sound Support?), which means that Ubuntu may not boot THAT fast.

I don't think so--I see HAL, udev, and network-manager running for the latter two. No cups, yes, but that would be possible within the time limit with the other kernel hacks they mention.

smoker
October 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
good news! the future's looking 'quick!' :-)

Frak
October 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM
If you compile these things into the kernel (if it's possible, as proprietary stuff can't, you_know_why) than you don't have to wait for your module pack to startup. Anyways, I got my bootup time down to 12 seconds by making my own system in Gentoo. It was very speedy, and it even ran Gnome.

Aiello
October 4th, 2008, 02:52 AM
This is why open source rocks.

solitaire
October 4th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Darn!

I need a refresher course in Ubuntu Kernel building then......

where's the best place to read up??

Frak
October 4th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Darn!

I need a refresher course in Ubuntu Kernel building then......

where's the best place to read up??
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap3

artir
October 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
The Ubuntu Kernel Master Thread !

stinger30au
October 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I sold my TV some months ago, so I cant boot up my Amiga1200 right now... but im sure it took less than 5 seconds till Workbench (a graphical OS) is ready to use... all while running on a measy 50MHz

i remember the Tandy Colour Computer would be an instant on running at a mere .8 Mhz with a ROM to boot form as well as the Commodore 16 amongst others

aaaahhhh how the cpu sped have increased over the years to amazing speeds and the boot times have slowed oh so much

aysiu
October 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
The article seems to indicate that Network Manager was running at the end of 5 seconds.

Does sound really need to be available immediately after bootup?

I would love to have a 5-second bootup to a usable desktop and then have sound load by the time (i.e., later) I had launched an application that used sound.

I hate those "log-in screen ready" and "we're logging you in now" noises anyway.

earthpigg
October 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
~Instert "I am Reading Your Post Now" Noise here~

Trail
October 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
~wobbly posts effect~

Npl
October 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
i remember the Tandy Colour Computer would be an instant on running at a mere .8 Mhz with a ROM to boot form as well as the Commodore 16 amongst othersThats not a graphical multitasking OS tough :)

Commandline-prompt would be pretty much instant-on aswell.