PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Wicd Install Problems

rhololkeolke
October 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
I'm using 8.04 and I upgraded wicd through synaptic. When it came up it asked if I wanted to keep my old scripts and thinking it meant my config files I clicked yes. Then I got a problem. When I rebooted my computer it said that wicd had crashed. I tried restarting it but that didn't work so I decided I would just uninstall and then reinstall. When I went to uninstall it didn't work. I found this thread http://wicd.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=187 and it said to delete the wicd.prerm script. I did and I was able to uninstall it. I then proceeded to reinstall it but when I go to reinstall it either from the repository or from a deb file it says the following:

Selecting previously deselected package wicd.
(Reading database ... 211965 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wicd (from .../Desktop/wicd_1.5.3_all.deb) ...
Setting up wicd (1.5.3) ...
ls: cannot access /opt/wicd/encryption/configurations/: No such file or directory
I don't see how there could be a directory there considering I purged the package. I need to know how to reinstall wicd. Is there a way to force it to install the package and ignore whether it can find it or not? All help is appreciated thanks.

imdano
October 3rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Create a /opt/wicd/encryption/configurations directory with nothing in it. It should install correctly then. See this thread for more info: http://wicd.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=865

rhololkeolke
October 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I did what that form said and I don't get an error when it installs; however, it also doesn't seem like it is actually installing. When I try to start the tray icon and the gui using the command either

/opt/wicd/tray.py
or

/opt/wicd/gui.py
It says that it cannot be found. I went to the folder /opt/wicd and the only thing there is the encryption folder that I made like that form instructed. I even tried temporarily changing the permissions so that I could write to it without super user access.

rhololkeolke
October 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Never mind it did install correctly they just moved the frontend to /usr/bin so in order to start the tray icon I have to type

/usr/bin/wicd-client.

imdano
October 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just "wicd-client" would work as well.