PDA

View Full Version : Do not reboot, it's Linux!

medic2000
October 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
In this topic i want the help of community. We will find what services are needed to be restarted after specific tasks. My friend who reboots so much his ArchLinux gave me the idea that many users doesnt know which services should be restarted to avoid rebooting the whole system.

First comes from me;
If you changed "DNS" or something about network you need to do:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

from knattlhuber:

Stop and restart the Display Manager:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

to mount a drive that you just added to /etc/fstab:

sudo mount -a

From InfinityCircuit:

If you install firmware for a wireless device, you shouldn't have to reboot. Just:

sudo modprobe -r ipw2200
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe ipw2200

From Lux Perpetua:

X server catch-all :

<Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Backspace> (which simply kills the X server and restarts it)

If you add a new printer or modify something in printers.conf, you can run

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

and your applications will show the updated list of printers.

knattlhuber
October 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Stop and restart the Display Manager:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Not really a "restart" but kinda:

sudo mount -a
to mount a drive that you just added to /etc/fstab

david_lynch
October 3rd, 2008, 02:15 AM
In this topic i want the help of community. We will find what services are needed to be restarted after specific tasks. My friend who reboots so much his ArchLinux gave me the idea that many users doesnt know which services should be restarted to avoid rebooting the whole system.

First comes from me;
"sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart"
+1

good advice - I've currently got a dozen or so linux servers in production with uptimes of over 770 days. No need to go rebooting linux all the time.

Joeb454
October 3rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Usually the only thing I need to reboot for is a hard lockup - which is very very rare, and usually my fault - or a kernel upgrade

chungy
October 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
Well, there's (re)starting a service or two which isn't a particularly difficult task even though many people might reboot; then there's the unloading/loading of dozens of kernel modules.... unless you have some other service that must be up as long as possible, you might as well just reboot.

HyperHacker
October 3rd, 2008, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I'm sure when something weird happens (like Thunar refuses to launch and after logging in again you have no desktop), you could fix it without rebooting, but realistically, hours of Googling/reading manpages for solutions and trying random things, or minutes rebooting? For a desktop where 24/7 uptime isn't important, it's a simple choice.

That said, it is good to know how to fix things without rebooting. Often just logging out and in again fixes things; it's like rebooting, but faster.

Bungo Pony
October 3rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Often just logging out and in again fixes things

That's usually what I end up doing. I almost never reboot unless I feel the need to reboot into Windows for something.

schauerlich
October 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
I dual boot with OS X, so I reboot fairly often.

niccholaspage
October 3rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
I haven't rebooted for a VERY long time. Is there any way to remove that Restart Icon that bugs you after an update?

Saint Angeles
October 3rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
what i find really annoying is when there is a problem with the internet in our house. The router is in my housemates' room and when i ask them about whats going on with the router and if the internet is working for them, i usually get a response like "well did you try restarting your computer?"

i try to explain how linux almost never needs a restart but people that have been using windows all their lives really never understand.

Frak
October 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Debian Sarge server, been up for 2 years without reboot.

knattlhuber
October 3rd, 2008, 03:32 AM

There's an easy way to circumvent the need for a reboot into Mac OSX. It involves the fdisk command :D

DarkDancer
October 3rd, 2008, 03:39 AM

Hehe, Hibernate, you get to keep your up time and don't have to end any programs (though you may want to pause any video or music playing (you don't even have to do that, but when coming back it can be a bit weird at first)) ;).

schauerlich
October 3rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
There's an easy way to circumvent the need for a reboot into Mac OSX. It involves the fdisk command :D

I'm happy with OS X, thank you very much :)

schauerlich
October 3rd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Hehe, Hibernate, you get to keep your up time and don't have to end any programs (though you may want to pause any video or music playing (you don't even have to do that, but when coming back it can be a bit weird at first)) ;).

My uptime is 15 days at the moment, and OS X is running beautifully.

knattlhuber
October 3rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
I'm happy with OS X, thank you very much :)

No offense meant, David. Been on OSX for 7 years. :)

-grubby
October 3rd, 2008, 03:46 AM
No offense meant, David. Been on OSX for 7 years. :)

His name is actually eric

InfinityCircuit
October 3rd, 2008, 03:47 AM
If you install firmware for a wireless device, you shouldn't have to reboot. Just:

sudo modprobe -r ipw2200
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe ipw2200

Personally, my servers are Xen domUs, so I never have to reboot a physical system...

vishzilla
October 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
A simple one (for new users) after installing new apps and the app launcher doesn't show up in the menu

killall gnome-panel

WWSmith36
October 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
What is commmand to determine when the last system boot was ?

knattlhuber
October 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM

cat /proc/uptime

gives you the time in seconds.

PointyWombat
October 3rd, 2008, 04:11 AM

# who -r

or

# uptime

RiceMonster
October 3rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
When I had no Windows partition (I require windows for school, so I'm dual booting right now) I would almost never reboot; just when I had a kernel update. Instead of shutting down, I would suspend or hibernate. Now I shut down so I can access my Linux partition from Windows. I keep a bunch of my music there, so and I like to listen to music sometimes while doing work.

Dale61
October 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
usually the only thing i need to reboot for is a hard lockup - which is very very rare, and usually my fault - or a kernel upgrade

+1

binbash
October 3rd, 2008, 05:48 AM
I like seeing my usplash i reboot often for fun : )

mrgnash
October 3rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
I rarely reboot, but I might take my system down to runlevel 1 on occasion ;)

FuturePilot
October 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM

That's :shock:

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
First comes from me;
"sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart"

Changes of DNS servers apply automatically and don't need any further manipulation, not even that.

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2008, 07:31 AM

OpenBSD 3.4 server, was up for four yers but I rebooted it recently to upgrade to 4.3.

epidemiks
October 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
well I like paying less for electricity, so mine goes off every night unless im leeching/seeding something :)

Ioky
October 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
I usually shut down my computer. Therefore it is kind of a reboot all the time. haha. I don't want to leave it on when I don't need it because more or less dust will go in. and I hate dust

medic2000
October 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hey community! We should suggest the services for not rebooting remember? :)

SunnyRabbiera
October 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I reboot once in a blue moon, sometimes during system hiccups (that I get every so often, 3 out of 10 times. Windows is much higher at 8 out of 10 times)
and when I have to reset my net connection

Lux Perpetua
October 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
X server catch-all : <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Backspace> (which simply kills the X server and restarts it)

If you add a new printer or modify something in printers.conf, you can run

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restartand your applications will show the updated list of printers.

forrestcupp
October 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
well I like paying less for electricity, so mine goes off every night unless im leeching/seeding something :)

+1

Some people shut their computers down to save on electric bills and greenhouse gases. It's not all about uptime unless you're talking about a company network. And I've had just as long of uptimes in Vista that I have had in Ubuntu.

klange
October 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Why shut down when you can hibernate? (which actually is shutting down, but keeping your entire session available immediately upon restart)

Personally, I suspend my laptop all the time.

Dr Small
October 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I never shutdown or reboot unless absolutely necessary. Why, Dad was hooking up a new cable in the electrical panel the other day, and was going to disconnect the power first. He said that we should turn off our systems, but I left mine on and running on battery backup :)

Frak
October 3rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
That's :shock:

OpenBSD 3.4 server, was up for four yers but I rebooted it recently to upgrade to 4.3.

I just recently found my Sarge server in the backhouse, so I'm guessing about 2 years. The UPS was still going, so I guess it's time to use it for something.

medic2000
October 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
What shall we restart after changing groups?