PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sadly Hardy and I are not in love. . .

brenbren
October 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks to an awesome person who helped me fix the problem of updating I updated from fiesty to hardy, with a stop on gutsy in between. Unfortunately I am not in love with hardy, not like I was with that fiesty fawn. Everything is very slow and for some reason I no longer have permissions to edit my hellanzb.conf file. I've checked around trying different solutions to common problems with this type of error and with gedit (my fav editor) to no avail. So does anyone know how I can go back to using fiesty?:confused:

wpshooter
October 3rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
IMO, you should have stopped at Gutsy. Hardy = no fun.

Sef
October 3rd, 2008, 01:58 AM
So does anyone know how I can go back to using fiesty?

It's not recommended. Its support will run out in about 3 weeks. Better to wait for Intrepid Ibex to be stable (30 Oct 2008.) Best way to install it would be a clean install, although you would lose all of your settings.

Also you could do a clean install of Hardy Heron.

brenbren
October 3rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
this clean install intrigues me:o please explain, I don't know much but I do learn

SuperSonic4
October 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
A clean install would be to download the live cd, burn it to disc and install from the boot menu.

haydnc
October 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
SuperSonic4 is right about how to do a clean install of Ubuntu 8.04.1.

I can confirm that as long as you had backed up the entire contents of your /home drive you'd be very unlikely to lose anything when doing a clean install. I know I was having issues after upgrading to Hardy and a clean install fixed that up for me.

If you put /home on a separate partition when you first installed Ubuntu you may not even need to back anything up - just make sure you don't format whatever partition has /home on it.

Let us know if you need a more in depth explanation and I'll do what I can to help out.

brenbren
October 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
so does backing up include programs or is it just the data I use and store like music and .opp? Can I just burn these things to a disk or do I need to trot out rsync or tar? And also, do I need to uninstall current hardy before booting of the cd?

Torquemada28
October 3rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
do I need to uninstall current hardy before booting of the cd?

No. During the install you'll have the opportunity to configure the disks you want to use. You will be able to format the drive/partition you are currently using before installing your fresh Hardy on there. That will wipe all traces of the current system. While you have the opportunity, I would suggest that you create a separate partition for /home during the install. There are many threads that can guide you on how this is done, or someone could post instructions here.

The relationship can be salvaged if you just offload your baggage from your previous relationship and start afresh. ;)

brenbren
October 4th, 2008, 03:54 AM
So the good news is that the clean install of Hardy fix all the issues I was having. Hurray!
Sadly, when trying to fallow instructions to back up via a partition I have somehow managed to lose all of my documents, pictures, and music. Sad.
If anybody has any helpful hints, or places in the California Orange County area where I could go and get help, that too would be outstanding.

Sef
October 4th, 2008, 04:41 AM
If anybody has any helpful hints, or places in the California Orange County area where I could go and get help, that too would be outstanding.

Post a message in Ubuntuforums California LoCo (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=188).

brenbren
October 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
okay. Got photorec, and it looks very promising; got an external drive a 500 GB Freeagent. Now all I need is to get the d*** freeagent to be have read and write permissions so I can us it as where I want the recovered files to go. I've already used gparted to format the drive to ext3. Command df -h output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6 37G 36G 0 100% /
varrun 502M 104K 501M 1% /var/run
varlock 502M 0 502M 0% /var/lock
udev 502M 60K 501M 1% /dev
devshm 502M 48K 501M 1% /dev/shm
lrm 502M 39M 463M 8% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
overflow 1.0M 96K 928K 10% /tmp
gvfs-fuse-daemon 37G 36G 0 100% /home/brenbren/.gvfs
/dev/sdb1 463G 199M 439G 1% /media/disk
but when in photorec /media/disk is not an option.
Please help, I am so close!!!