PDA

View Full Version : Linux+ any tips

michaelkahl
October 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Not sure where to post this, but I thought I would here. I know some people say Ubuntu isn't the best distribution to study on, but I have had some experience with Fedora/CentOS.
So for anyone who has taken it, please advise.
Thanks

dioltas
October 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Study what, Linux itself? If thats the case ubuntu might be a bit too easy to set up, you learn the most about linux in trying to get it working properly and setup in the first place imho.

If your studying some other subject using linux as the OS, then I'd say ubuntu is probably the best idea, as if your working on some project you probably won't have time to spend going off fixing some problem or getting some program working properly.

Also, this forum is probably the best linux resource I've ever come across, and your sure to get plenty of help regardless of whether your using ubuntu or fedora or whatever.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise Linux+ was a course you can do. Maybe if they're giving you exercises and stuff anyway then it won't matter which distro you use, haven't done it myself so my advice is fairly limited really.

mog538
October 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
I haven't done Linux+ myself, the LPI exams seem to be more popular and better value. You can also do an Ubuntu specific exam with the LPI.

Check out www.certforums.co.uk - they have a linux+ section and also an "other certifications" section where the lpi exams may have been discussed.

Edit: forgot to say I have heard that some of the questions in linux+ are very focused on the details of terminal commands and the associated options, even though in real life you would just look up the man pages.

michaelkahl
October 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.
From what I've seen on practice exams CLI seems to be strong on the exam. I've seen a lot of question asking about options on commands more than anything. Hopefully this is true of actual exam, but I won't count on it.
I'm sure I could go for a more advanced certification, but baby steps. Besides, the exam is paid for in my tuition. My plan is to complete my Linux+ this semester and my 70-290 (I definitely know what OS for that one), then next semester I'm going for my Security+ and CCNA. After my CCNA I'll look at more advanced Linux certs. For now my focus is on my degree and that is where these certifications are helping me.
I know Ubuntu isn't the best to learn on, but it isn't bad. I also have spare machines that I've done Gentoo installs on, and I use Fedora 8 machines at school. I'm thinking the biggest thing I'll brush up on is RPM. That shouldn't be to difficult.