PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on seperate drive

Gregor Lumpkus
October 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to linux so gimme a break if this is a totally newbie question :D Ok, so I have an older laptop (has the requirements) that I want to put ubuntu 8.04 on. My plan is to take the hard drive and put it in my windows machine (I have a spare slot), wipe the drive, install ubuntu on the laptop drive, pop the drive back into my laptop and go. I can't use the disc on the laptop cuz the drive is kaput. Will this work? Also, would it be simpler to get it from the dvd? Or is downloading it just as good? Thanks! Any tips much appreciated!

Favorite OS? Mac. Wait no- AHHHHHH!!!!
-Gregor

Gregor Lumpkus
October 2nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Oh, and that's a monty python reference if you didn't know that ;)

upchucky
October 2nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
will not work, the drive is set up to be specific to the machine it is installed in, this means ubuntu's hardware detection will tailor the install for the other pc not the laptop.

Braytok
October 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Just an idea, I had a similar problem once. If you have a working floppy drive and network card on the laptop you could try doing a PXE install.
granted, thats a lot of work just to install an OS but...

Gregor Lumpkus
October 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
1. What's a PXE install? Yes I have both those things.

2. Are there any other ways of completing the install? If I got an external drive, could I install ubuntu even if the hard drive is wiped?

Jackie999
October 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Ubuntu does a disk clean (does linux call it a format?) before installing..so that's not a problem.
If you use an external usb dvd drive....will the bios detect and boot from it? If yes, then that would work - but I'm just new ..your question is very interesting..linux is ideal for breathing new life into older machines :)

Gregor Lumpkus
October 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
Ok, so does anybody know if the external drive would install ubuntu on a wiped drive? Or can I install it without a wiped drive? So total newbie question sorry, lol.