PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to all Ubuntu developers and the community

sugarland2k
November 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
I loaded Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog 5.04 on my trust old OptiPlex GXa and it's a GREAT release! Added a new WD-160GB HD and maxing out memory. I can't wait to move up to BreezyBadger - Version 5.10.

I've run Red Hat Linux 6.1 Kernal 2.2.11, 7.3 and then 8.0 / 2.4.18-14, but Ubuntu has has much better hardware detection (don't have to pull my machine apart to ID all the hardware before installation!)

To all developers, tweekers and the development and test community - thanks for a great product.

Peace to all,
Billy in Sugar Land, Texas

sugarland2k
December 7th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Upgraded to Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10 with few problems. Opened up the repositories and updated and it's great. 5.10 is faster than than older 4.08 version! Got my second harddrive hdb setup as a backup drive. Imported my address list from Windoz Thunderbird over to much better Evolution. Tweeked FireFox a bit as suggested in the Wiki and it's also now much faster. Unbuntu has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you can setup an excellent and very stable desktop.

I use a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball with a KVM switch, going to edit X a bit to try to get the extra buttons working... Tweaking is fun!

Again thanks for all the Ubuntu developers and the community. Best "Linux" system on the planet :D

sugarland2k
Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10
Model: OptiPlex GXa
Processor: P2, 300MHz KLAMATH ECC
320mb RAMM
hda-160mb
hdb-6mb

sugarland2k
February 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
My latest is Kubuntu 8.04. I loaded the KDE desktop through Synaptic and so far wow!

Ubuntu rules! Thanks to all developers, code weavers, tweekers, and all the community for a great O/S. :)

Dell Optiplex GX260/2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
Dual 160GB HDD's
Nvidia GeForce FX5500
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.04

Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04

daller
February 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Nice to see a loyal ubuntu fellow! :D

You like 6.10? - You'll love 7.04!

...esspecially with those new pc specs! :D