PDA

View Full Version : Join an open source project?

extruct
October 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hello all.
Well I know its probably not the place for this question, but I simply don't surf any other forums (by the way any suggestions for programming forums?) so I decided to post it here.

Well my "disease" is that I like to program, just one of the things that make me happy, solving different algorithms, writing code, testing, failing, writing again, learning new things, well you got the point.

Until today I wrote just programs just for test and fun, and also some programs I wanted to be popular but since I always was a "single man army" I never got close to the release ad most of the projects just died.

Anyone know a way to join open source projects? I mean where and how to look?
I know there are sourceforge but is there any other site/ways to find/join open source projects?

Thanks a lot!

nvteighen
October 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
These are some other two good places you might look at.

1. Launchpad (http://launchpad.net) It's Canonical's hosting service and where Ubuntu is developed. There are some people doing nice projects. It uses a quite good revision control system called Bazaar also developed by Canonical (and also hosted at Launchpad).

2. Savannah (http://savannah.gnu.org) Free Software Foundation's hosting service. It has less projects than other services maybe because of the requirements on agreeing with the FSF philosophy and maybe also because the revision control system they use (CVS) it's a bit obsolete for some people. If you want to contribute to a GNU official package, look here.

PandaGoat
October 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
If you play Warcraft, look no further than my signature!

There really is no other way than to just find some project and contact the lead developer (or whatever).

Tomosaur
October 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
There are tons of other threads about this exact question - I'm sure a quick search will give you lots of information.

Mostly - just find the project's bug tracker, write a patch for one, then mail it to the project mailing list to allow the lead devs to try it and commit it or reject it.

extruct
October 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks all!