PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob frustrated with install

dg4302
October 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire T325 - it came installed with XP Home SP2, but I am tired of Microsoft, so I want to try linux and have tried to install ubuntu. The only way I've gotten it to work so far is to boot into XP and then install ubuntu inside windows. I don't want to do this, though, as I would like ubuntu to be my only operating system. When I try to boot the live cd (which I've burnt several copies of from different mirrors) it goes through the process for awhile, then dumps me into the root shell (I'm assuming). I've done a cd check several times - seems to be ok. I've also tried to use various combinations of the options available by pressing F4/F6. Frankly, I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

mikewhatever
October 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Post you computer specs, CPU, RAM, graphics, anything else you know.

DrMega
October 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire T325 - it came installed with XP Home SP2, but I am tired of Microsoft, so I want to try linux and have tried to install ubuntu. The only way I've gotten it to work so far is to boot into XP and then install ubuntu inside windows. I don't want to do this, though, as I would like ubuntu to be my only operating system. When I try to boot the live cd (which I've burnt several copies of from different mirrors) it goes through the process for awhile, then dumps me into the root shell (I'm assuming). I've done a cd check several times - seems to be ok. I've also tried to use various combinations of the options available by pressing F4/F6. Frankly, I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Which version of Ubuntu are you trying? Also, have you chosen the desktop edition or the server one? etc.

Do you get any error messages?

Mhurst1
October 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Try burning a new disk at the lowest speed possible and see if that helps.

drudogg
October 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Try burning a new disk at the lowest speed possible and see if that helps.

second on this, and boot live cd on the machine before install and make sure that it works. if it won't work right with live, then there may be some kind of incompatibility, or disk image could be corrupted. have you tried different methods of installation?

is this 8.04, or what version, also using desktop, like was mentioned above?

or you could try kubuntu...

another thing is that newer acer machines i have seen to act strangely with some stuff.