PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 is here!

Sirin
November 22nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
It's here! Does anybody have it yet? I can't get any because it is already sold out in my city. :( There are traffic jams backed up for miles (because most of those people want the Xbox 360) and there have been lots of people arrested here for physically fighting over the console. Such is the life.

raublekick
November 22nd, 2005, 06:49 PM
::keeps on playing Mario Kart DS online::

cabu
November 22nd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Preordered it for my sons Christmas present at EB Games. Got a call yesterday saying it would probably be after the holidays. :(

dosed150
November 22nd, 2005, 07:12 PM
not out till decmeber 2nd here i wont be getting it for a while though

bonzodog
November 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
call me anti-microsoft but it IS m$. I won't buy into their sordid empire for anything. I'll get meself a Sony PS3. I even resent having to maintain an MSN messenger account just so my family can IM me.....

raublekick
November 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM
call me anti-microsoft but it IS m$. I won't buy into their sordid empire for anything. I'll get meself a Sony PS3. I even resent having to maintain an MSN messenger account just so my family can IM me.....

how can you possibly boycott microsoft for their business practices and say you'll stick with sony in the same sentance?

Stormy Eyes
November 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM
It's here! Does anybody have it yet?

Don't have it, don't want it, not getting it. I'll probably buy a Revolution instead; I'm not sure I want to buy a PS3 after the whole rootkit fiasco from Sony Music, even though Sony Computer Entertainment is a separate division.

Brunellus
November 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
don't have it. my brother will probably get one eventually.

What I can't understand is why everyone is falling all over themselves to get an Xbox360. Microsoft has been controlling supply carefully to ensure first-day sellouts, since that feeds their marketing hype. There will not be any hardware revisions for a good, long, while. And nothing in the buildup convinced me that there was any software being released for it that is of epochal, world-historical significance.

Why camp out for it? It's almost perverse; it's not like these people were queueing up for food aid.

megamania
November 22nd, 2005, 07:39 PM
::keeps on playing Mario Kart DS online::

::keeps on playing Atari Karts on Atari Jaguar console (offline)::

;-)

newbie2
November 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Xbox burnt our house down, claim
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27873
:rolleyes:

bored2k
November 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
That is hilarious. BTW, let's keep it ontopic, we have other "i hate MS threads" here.

Anyways, I don't plan on getting it, but because I don't like it but because I lack the money for it :(.

In the meantime, we have http://www.smashmyxbox.com/ :D.

bonzodog
November 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
well, I know Sony aren't exactly playing fair at the moment with the whole DRM CD thing, but it's case of 'the lesser of two evils'. I don't like sony much either, but I do like the games I can get for the PS series, and it's backwards compatible. Luckily the rootkit thing doesn't affect me as I don't run windows on my home machine (breezy is it's only OS). I'm having to type this from a windows at present machine, but this one is having breezy put on it in the next couple of weeks, after the other 3 in the internet cafe.
The only thing thats bugging us is we aren't sure if Grub can password protect the windows partition on it, as the owner wants that partition so only HE can boot it with a password.

newbie2
November 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
MS' console a Trusted Platform?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/30/infineon_xbox_360_chips/

Initial Xbox 360 reviews good not great
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/22/xbox360_reviews_good_not_great/

`GooZ´
November 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
<OT>Why buy an Xbox when you can have good old-fashioned PONG? I mean, seriousely, why?</OT>
Anyone has got the 360 yet? I would really like to know what people REALLY think of it. Not much of a gamer myself, though

Malphas
November 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
I won't buy one, as it's basically just the equivalent of a mid-end PC with Windows, and I already have a high-end PC with Windows.

call me anti-microsoft but it IS m$. I won't buy into their sordid empire for anything. I'll get meself a Sony PS3.
I got a laugh out of that too, Sony are just as "evil" as Microsoft in my opinion, this is hardly a recent phenomena and the DRM rootkit fiasco barely scratches the surface.

welsh_spud
November 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Since the Xbox 360 uses a PowerPC CPU, does that mean that you can put Ubuntu on it?

`GooZ´
November 22nd, 2005, 08:01 PM
Since the Xbox 360 uses a PowerPC CPU, does that mean that you can put Ubuntu on it?
I know they put linux on the regular Xbox (http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page)

carlosqueso
November 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM
Sadly....too poor....hence the Ubuntu usage. :-(

newbie2
November 22nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
I'll get meself a Sony PS3.
22/11/2005
"PS3 to launch at under $400; will ship with media bundle"
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13145

poofyhairguy
November 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Don't have it, don't want it, not getting it. I'll probably buy a Revolution instead; I'm not sure I want to buy a PS3 after the whole rootkit fiasco from Sony Music, even though Sony Computer Entertainment is a separate division.

Amen. Screw Sony from now till there end of time. I never want to own a Sony product again.

I'll buy a Revolution by the second price drop probably when it then has a few killer games. Today I'm upgrading my computer so that I can hold off getting a new console as long as possible.

veratyr
November 22nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
I allready have a 6800 GT...

xequence
November 22nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
If I buy anything it will be a gaming computer.

With computers you can download custom maps, play online for free, and more. You have much more control. Plus I can get 640*480 resolution on my TV but 1024*768 on my 10 year old monitor and higher res on a new gaming computer.

In the meantime, we have http://www.smashmyxbox.com/ .

I cant wait till they release the video :)

22/11/2005
"PS3 to launch at under $400; will ship with media bundle"
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13145

Is it just me or do you always have the perfect story to reply to any post?

newbie2
November 22nd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Is it just me or do you always have the perfect story to reply to any post?
if u look 'around' u can 'find things' on the '(w)ild(w)ild(w)eb' ... ;)

Sirin
November 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM
If I buy anything it will be a gaming computer.

With computers you can download custom maps, play online for free, and more. You have much more control. Plus I can get 640*480 resolution on my TV but 1024*768 on my 10 year old monitor and higher res on a new gaming computer.

But you'll have to use Windows. ;)

newbie2
November 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
not always :razz: -->
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=linux+%2B+games&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

xequence
November 22nd, 2005, 09:27 PM

Thats what I am on now :P

Really, Windows isnt that bad and stuff.

But back to the xbox...

With computers you can upgrade and get better game performance. (Put in another stick of RAM, etc) With xbox you have the same performance until the next version comes out.

Brunellus
November 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
buying a gaming computer is a losing financial proposition. three kilobucks just to game? no thanks. At that money, an Xbox starts looking really attractive.

The whole "upgradeable/extensible" argument in favor of pc gaming died for me sometime in the mid '90s.

Malphas
November 22nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
But you realise that it's still a perfectly valid argument? Plus the fact that you own a PC anyway means that all you're really paying for in order to play games is the graphics card - that's the case for me anyway.

BWF89
November 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Neither Xbox360 or Playstation 3 bring anything new to the table other than better graphics. I'm getting a Nintendo Revolution.

dosed150
November 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
has anyone seen articles about mass effect it looks and sounds amazing a sci fi rpg trilogy from bioware those games alone make a reason for xbox 360 but ill wait till price drop

Stormy Eyes
November 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
has anyone seen articles about mass effect it looks and sounds amazing a sci fi rpg trilogy from bioware those games alone make a reason for xbox 360 but ill wait till price drop

Not a good enough reason. I don't buy consoles just to play one or two games; that's a waste of money.

dosed150
November 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
there r other games i want its just they sound really good

xequence
November 22nd, 2005, 11:32 PM
The fact you cant mouselook on any console is also a thought :P

bored2k
November 22nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
The fact you cant mouselook on any console is also a thought :P
When buying a console, I don't it to act as a computer, I want it to play games &#172;_&#172;.

dosed150
November 22nd, 2005, 11:44 PM
that smash my xbox is a blatant con in those pics it looks like theres nothing inside the xbox

darkoptix
November 22nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
I'll give $10 to whoever installs ubuntu on it first! Seriously.

Stormy Eyes
November 23rd, 2005, 01:22 AM
When buying a console, I don't it to act as a computer, I want it to play games ¬_¬.

Mouselook is something you do in FPS games. Personally, I don't see how that's a drawback, given that I've played both Doom 3 and Metroid Prime and liked Metroid Prime better.

MetalMusicAddict
November 23rd, 2005, 02:30 AM
I'll give $10 to whoever installs ubuntu on it first! Seriously.
I dont think that will be enough. :) The Lindows (Linspire) guy offered like 100k or 10k for the Xbox didnt he?

KiwiNZ
November 23rd, 2005, 03:06 AM
I will buy one , why ummm I like toys , I have a xbox now(and a PS2) so its just an upgrade that is errr a must ,sorta, I guess , awww heck I,just want one and thats good enough

bored2k
November 23rd, 2005, 03:30 AM
that smash my xbox is a blatant con in those pics it looks like theres nothing inside the xbox
Tomorrow the video will be posted. He smashed it inside Best Buy, just like he smashed his iPOD Video inside the Mac store (smashmyipod.com).

xequence
November 23rd, 2005, 03:36 AM
When buying a console, I don't it to act as a computer, I want it to play games &#172;_&#172;.

Youre out of luck then - the xbox360 is supposed to be more like a computer/home entertainment center then the old xbox.

Mouselook is something you do in FPS games.

Yea! You use the mouse to look up, down, and to turn. Then I have it set to top arrow to go forward, back to go back, left to sidestep left, and right to sidestep right. And middle mouse click to use the translocator. (UT).

It is just in my opinion the best way to do things. I tried halo with the xbox controller - Not as good.

Personally, I don't see how that's a drawback, given that I've played both Doom 3 and Metroid Prime and liked Metroid Prime better.

I played metroid and didnt really like it. I dont really remember much else though.

I just find using mouselook to be so easy and naturel.

sisiwong
November 23rd, 2005, 03:43 AM
too expensive have no money to buy

newbie2
November 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
XBox is crashing with Blue Screens of Death:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/

Video of crash and other links from XBox-Scene News:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFkZkkkyEHasmrPqu.php

Stormy Eyes
November 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
XBox is crashing with Blue Screens of Death:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/

Video of crash and other links from XBox-Scene News:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFkZkkkyEHasmrPqu.php

Dude, that's not news; it's business as usual for Microsoft.

newbie2
November 23rd, 2005, 06:55 PM
too expensive have no money to buy

http://search.ebay.com/broken-xbox_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
:razz: :rolleyes:

otake-tux
November 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Dont have, Dont want it, Screw it.

Its too expensive, there arent any good games for it and I think its still too early for a new console. Dragon Warrior 8 just to name one great game I can play on a current generation console. Is there an equivalent on 360? NO so why bother.

I'm probably just going to buy a revolution when it comes out.

Zensunni
November 23rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
The launch linup is so lame...that's what killed it for me.

Half of the games are just sports. 1/4 of the them are just low-grade programming iterations like joust and bejeweled. And the other 1/4 are PC ports.

The only thing that would be worth buying if you didn't have to pay for the system would be perfect dark.

Worst lineup I've ever seen.

Specialsauce
November 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
It's here!
And im not gonna get it!

1. I HATED he XBox, always freezing.
2. Its basically a computer without all the capabilities of one
3. VERY expensve.
4. Its a M$ product (sorry, had to add that one)
5. From what I hear you need an expensive adapter to play xbox games (but this might not even be true)

darkmatter
November 23rd, 2005, 11:27 PM
Who the hell would want a Crashbox 360 anyway?.....

NeoChaosX
November 23rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
Dead or Alive 4

...yes, I'm a shallow person. :p

bored2k
November 24th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Dead or Alive 4

...yes, I'm a shallow person. :p
Tekken 5 (PS3) > DOA 4 ;)

super
November 24th, 2005, 02:12 AM
http://search.ebay.com/broken-xbox_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

whoa! i should have pre-ordered 10 of these and sold them on e-bay. the ones that are actually working are going for a $1000. and all the stores around here are sold out until january.

would have been some easy dollars! :razz:

newbie2
November 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM
http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=552599
:p :rolleyes:

linbetwin
November 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I hear the new Xbox 360 is hot. Literally! Now I know what the 360 stands for. I wonder if it's centigrade or Fahrenheit.

I also hear it features the new OSOD, i.e. Orange Screen of Death. LOL!

tseliot
November 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
With computers you can upgrade and get better game performance. (Put in another stick of RAM, etc) With xbox you have the same performance until the next version comes out.
I don't think that's a drawback at all. I remember that when I used Windows for playing (4 years ago) I had to change my graphic card, CPU, RAM, etc. if I wanted games to run decently. The rapid obsolescence of the hardware is the main problem with PCs.

If you own a console you can't (in theory) change the hardware therefore game developers HAVE TO optimise their games and (if they are capable enough) to use every drop of power a console can offer.

My Xbox is still there (after 4 years) just like my PS2 which is a year older. Their games are (of course, not all of them) still beautiful and have improved every year (at least in terms of graphics).

Now, which PC could ever do that? Try to play a new game with your 3-4 (but also 1-2) years old PC and tell me if you manage to enjoy it (no, 5fps is definitely not an option).

tseliot
November 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Its too expensive, there arent any good games for it and I think its still too early for a new console. Dragon Warrior 8 just to name one great game I can play on a current generation console. Is there an equivalent on 360? NO so why bother.

That's a good point. Perhaps it's worth buying when some (real) killer apps are released.

xequence
November 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I don't think that's a drawback at all. I remember that when I used Windows for playing (4 years ago) I had to change my graphic card, CPU, RAM, etc. if I wanted games to run decently. The rapid obsolescence of the hardware is the main problem with PCs.

If you own a console you can't (in theory) change the hardware therefore game developers HAVE TO optimise their games and (if they are capable enough) to use every drop of power a console can offer.

My Xbox is still there (after 4 years) just like my PS2 which is a year older. Their games are (of course, not all of them) still beautiful and have improved every year (at least in terms of graphics).

Now, which PC could ever do that? Try to play a new game with your 3-4 (but also 1-2) years old PC and tell me if you manage to enjoy it (no, 5fps is definitely not an option).

I gotta agree. Some people could find it good they can get better performance on games they already have, while others will find it annoying to upgrade to play new games.

raublekick
November 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Tekken 5 (PS3) > DOA 4 ;)

Tekken Series < Any 3D fighter < 2D fighters

Unfortunately I don't forsee any nextgen consoles having any 2D fighters:(

tseliot
November 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Tekken Series < Any 3D fighter < 2D fighters

Unfortunately I don't forsee any nextgen consoles having any 2D fighters:(

But you will be able to use the old classics by means of an emulator, just as I do on my XBOX: you can play PS1, SNES, Neogeo, games etc.
You only have to customise your console (flash the bios or use a modchip)

newbie2
November 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I hear the new Xbox 360 is hot. Literally! Now I know what the 360 stands for. I wonder if it's centigrade or Fahrenheit.

I also hear it features the new OSOD, i.e. Orange Screen of Death. LOL!
collection of other names for the 360 :
Some from other posts

SuXBox360
CrashBox360
XFlop360
HotPox360
OutofStockBox360
LossBox360
Xcrap360

linbetwin
November 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM
collection of other names for the 360 :
Some from other posts

SuXBox360
CrashBox360
XFlop360
HotPox360
OutofStockBox360
LossBox360
Xcrap360

How about a TuXbox 360? :D

Miguel
November 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Hello everybody,

My fist console was a sega megadrive. My last console was a sega megadrive. However, I must admit it played for sooo looong. It was a pretty enjoyable experience... when I was a teenager.

Now I find most games unappealing. And I consider myself somewhat of a gamer. No, I won't give a lung for the latest nVidia or ATi machine... but I enjoy games. However, spendind 300+ euros on a console... that will buy me 512Mb ram and a X1600 pro (probably higher) a year from now and will get better performance and more games than those consoles.

Buuut... there is a game (PC and crashbox360) I MUST HAVE. It is an RPG, a sequel to a game that plays in cedega. It is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I spent too many hours playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (I got both expansions, too). As a sidenote, you can freely download The Elder Scrolls: Arena from Bethesda's site. It works under DOSbox. I am somewhat of an RPG fan (actually if it makes you think, I like it)

Other than that I am a flight simmer. And mainly that. Thus, I hope to find the linux port of Xplane 8 and a HOWTO that tells me that the Saitek X-52 works on linux to buy them both.
Flight gear -- 0 euro
Xplane 8 for linux -- 40 euro
Saitek X-52 -- 120 euro
No dual-booting to keep the flyer inside you happy -- priceless

A last point: you wouldn't guess how many hours I've spent flying Falcon 4.0 and its innumerable patches. Forget about Debian and Ubuntu, That was binary incompatibility!!!!

Sorry for the long rant,

Miguel

PS: Yes, I am a gamer.

crane
November 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I'm looking foward to the enw Xbox just because the old one will get a drop in price from it soon. I really want an old one to install linux on and run quake3 if possible.
JUST BECAUSE I CAN!!! I know i doesn't have alot of reason behind it but it's what I want to do :razz:

I don't hate Microsoft, heck I think they are doing pretty good. I someone hates them so much maybe they could start there own company and over throw them.:D

As far as the new one, I'll be keeping an eye on This Project (http://www.free60.org/wiki/Main_Page)

If I have read correctly the XBOX is a different division of Microsoft that windows as PlaySTation is a different division of sony that the music side.
I read a few years ago about sony being different divisions and NOT being affiliated at all. But I don't care. I will by a PS3 when it comes out because I like them better than the XBOX not because of who it's momma (maker) is.

newbie2
November 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
crashing is probably caused by the power supply -->
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27930

lotusleaf
November 25th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Why expect anything less from a MS product? :P

I'd never buy an xbox or anything from MS, but if someone gave me an xbox I'd gladly defecate on it.

towsonu2003
November 26th, 2005, 05:33 AM
It's here! Does anybody have it yet? I can't get any because it is already sold out in my city. :( There are traffic jams backed up for miles (because most of those people want the Xbox 360) and there have been lots of people arrested here for physically fighting over the console. Such is the life.

u might wanna stall a little as i read they keep crashing (/.)

better than getting killed by a previous xbox though (/. comments)

corvax
November 26th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I Wont buy an xbox because i dont want $ms getting a dime from me i cant buy a ps3 now because of sonys nasty drm so looks like my kids are getting the nintendo revolution!

Malphas
November 26th, 2005, 06:07 AM
i cant buy a ps3 now because of sonys nasty drm
Did no-one realise that Sony was scum before this whole DRM thing? They've been pulling this kind of crap for years! This isn't anything new!

newbie2
November 26th, 2005, 07:57 AM
The 360 DVD player. It's just not good.

"I've thrown a few discs at it, with mixed results. The good news is that it is a progressive scan DVD player, and so far it has played every burned DVD I've thrown at it. The bad news is the video quality just isn't that great. On Episode 3 it looked decent, but my Samsung progressive player blew it out of the water. On other discs I noticed so very apparent dithering and artifacts in the black areas of the screen.
While it's a nice bonus, don't expect this to replace a good DVD player in your home theater. "
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2005/11/24/1927

blastus
November 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Xbox burnt our house down, claim
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27873

I just came across that article too. Apparently there is a design flaw in the power supply of the XBox 360 also. I don't know if any electrical fires have been reported yet, but apparently it is at least one of the causes for the XBox 360 freezing and crashing.

This is just too ironic but I expect no less from Microsoft. They ultimately designed the hardware, they ultimately controlled the hardware, and they ultimately oversaw the manufacturing of the hardware, so they must bear the full brunt of responsibility. Imagine that, in addition to freezes and crashes, your XBox may burn down your house. :)

cybercookie72
November 26th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Greetings ALL

first off this Ubuntu-Linux stuff is pretty cool....awesome job.

I have an xbox and now a xbox360....I think both are great!!! I have had my xbox from the first day they were sold. I have had problems with it -- about a year ago it stopped playing some games (I think the ones that took up LOTS of space on the DVD) I still had the insurance I got from MS and I called them on it. They did a pretty good job, they sent me a box--i sent in xbox--week later I had a new DVD-ROM that let me play my games again. :)

I pre-ordered the 360 and made payments pretty much every month so that it would be paid off, and it is. I REALLY like it...although the power supply does get HOT(no biggie I have a few fans in the back of my TV to keep things cool). As for the xbox360 crashing...I have not seen that with mine. I crash before my 360 does. The games are fun (CoD2, Q4, and Madden). As for DVD playback ... works great and even plays my burned DVDs (Force Five cartoons). The 360 hooks up to my brothers PSP and my iPod...that is sooooooo cool!!! The game selection isn't all that yet...but I am sure it will be soon enough. Right now I am happy with the games I have.

There sure is a lot of people in this forum who are really against MS. The really funny thing is that most against MS are for Sony. Not sure I think the "lesser of two..." thing is valid. I really don't care who makes what...Ill use what works for me. and what I can afford.

Right now I would like to try Linux for my computer and 360 for games...I think that works for me(windows was getting to easy to keep up...Linux has ALL sorts of problems to solve/work around :) that = more fun)

Thanks for reading...I look forward to posting more (questions and helps for Ubuntu)
:KS

Sirin
November 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM
There sure is a lot of people in this forum who are really against MS. The really funny thing is that most against MS are for Sony. Not sure I think the "lesser of two..." thing is valid. I really don't care who makes what...Ill use what works for me. and what I can afford.

Yes, and they also spread FUD about Xbox.

FUDs like this:

Since Xbox is made by Microsoft, and it uses *******, did you know that you could get hacked while using Xbox Live and get spyware and viruses that you can't take off since there are no antivirus tools or antispyware tools? Don't get it! The simple fact that it's made by Microsoft is the reason you shouldn't get it. Get Playstation 3!!! Destroy SUXbox!!!

newbie2
December 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Yes, and they also spread FUD about Xbox.

FUDs like this:
hi sirin...i can see in your edit signature this :
Windows *is* spyware!

take a look at these links plz. : -->

Xbox 360s flags ALL your activities to anyone who cares to look!

"Now no doubt Microsoft has this totally covered in its Terms and Conditions that you have to agree to when you sign up for an Xbox LIVE account, but did you know just how much information Microsoft shares with other Xbox 360 owners about what you’re doing? Simply put, anyone you’ve been in contact with through Xbox LIVE can subsequently see what you’re up to, regardless of whether they’re in your friends list or not."
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4040&page=1
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4040&page=2
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4040&page=3

CUDDLY SOFTWARE giant Microsoft will use its new Windows Live geolocation finder as a Big Brother location device for the police.
The service has a really good geolocation technique which can tell you where you are to five decimal places. [7.67874 pints of ale, Ed.]
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28276

Clearly Microsoft's IP location database includes spooky datamined information about users' actual location that is not normally available by querying the publically accessible databases.
Be forewarned.
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/09/privacy_implications.html
http://lists.burri.to/pipermail/geowanking/2005-December/002220.html

blueturtl
December 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Great. So two evil companies like Sony and Microsoft have been able to crush the real gaming companies like Nintendo and Sega. If anyone remembers, Sega was lightyears ahead of the PlayStation with Dreamcast. Ultimately it's their own fault for not understanding the value of marketing power, but it still ticks me off to see that the only thing standing in Microsoft's way of dominating the gaming market is another bad firm. Currently Sega has been reduced to a game producer at best (they don't make consoles anymore) and Nintendo has the lowest market share of the three competing firms.

Points for Nintendo:
A lot of good original games, and true hardware designed for that exact task
Points from Nintendo:
Their latest controller was a toy although the rest of the console very nice, too many Mario games

Points for Sega:
They had the attitude and the hardware to blow minds
Points from Sega:
They always failed at marketing, always. As a result they barely exist anymore.

Points for Sony:
I liked their first gamepad.
Points from Sony:
Crappy hardware, most of the games out there are total crap even today, although a few gems do exist

Points for Microsoft:
Uhh.. I'll pass on this one
Points from Microsoft:
They just took existing (modified) PC tech, put it in a big black box and shipped it with controllers big enough to ride on. Their big hit HALO was simply bought and converted from a Mac project. Few truly good games exist for this platform. Has evil written all over it.

If I had to buy a console now I would wait for Revolution unless ofcourse Sega would make a new one. The others will ultimately lead the console market to where the PC is today.

bored2k
December 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Lil OT: I can't believe people read TheInquirer...

curuxz
December 12th, 2005, 11:47 AM
i'll never buy one and if i see one i will atempt to destroy it :)

bored2k
December 12th, 2005, 11:57 AM
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4040&page=1
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4040&page=2
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4040&page=3

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28276

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/09/privacy_implications.html
http://lists.burri.to/pipermail/geowanking/2005-December/002220.html
That's being paranoid. Being able what others are doing an getting hacked are two differents things buddy. If that's considered hacking, everyone here is hacking because they can see your online status and what you were doing the last time you were here.

tseliot
December 12th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Points for Nintendo:
A lot of good original games...
Are you sure? There are too many games which have to do with Super Mario (and the always present Zelda). I don't find it particularly original :p or at least more original than the games on other consoles.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing but you know...

P.S. I like both PS2 and XBOX and I'm not a Nintendo guy (but I respect it)

bored2k
December 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM
@ Nintendo fans: I don't being original is milking the same character in like 3,000 videogames. So Nintendo=Original is out of the question.