PDA

View Full Version : Should I move completely to Linux?

jeyaganesh
October 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Currently I am using Ubuntu and Windows.
Ubuntu is superior in browsing experience and appearance than windows and mac.

I mainly use windows for photo storage/editing, windows media player and yahoo chatting. But overall performance of windows is painful.

I used to change themes and icons often. In mac, there are no themes available as like for linux.

Overall performance of linux is so good. But I dont like most of the softwares in linux. It doesnt look unique. For instance, I like Banshee among other music players in Linux, but it still looks like file manager. It has no unique look like windows media player or real player.

I have loads of photo and using Canon's software to manage them. I never tried photo management in Linux.

I want to use something unique, good performing and good looking multimedia softwares.

I am in huge dilemma to shift to linux completely. More than a decade I stick with windows.

Whats your opinion, Should I move completely to Linux?:guitar:

gn2
October 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I never tried photo management in Linux.

I use Digikam.

By the sound of things, you're not ready to fully switch just yet.

jeyaganesh
October 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
I use Digikam.

By the sound of things, you're not ready to fully switch just yet.

Thanks GN2

ad_267
October 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
I like the fact that the GTK applications in Ubuntu all use the same theme. It means I have control over how they all look.

It's really up to you. Try using F-Spot (comes with default Ubuntu) or any other photo manager and GIMP or Krita for more serious image editing if you need it. I say you should just stick with a dual boot until you no longer use Windows at all, then you can delete your Windows partition and go 100% Linux.

Have a look at Songbird for a media player. It has a more "unique" look and is skinnable.

hansdown
October 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hi jeyaganesh.

Use what works for you. You can duel boot,so you can still access windows.

Or if you take the plunge, and install ubuntu to the whole hd, as I did, is entirely up to you.

Welcome to the forums.

Surf the forums to get a feel of what you need, then go from there!

Again, welcome jeyaganesh.

Ub1476
October 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Have you tried KDE 4.1? It is in my opinion, very different from Gnome which ships with Ubuntu. You can get KDE 4.1 in the beta of Intrepid Ibex which will be released today. Just try a live cd, you know the game.

Irihapeti
October 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
You could make a deal with yourself that you will use only Linux for two weeks. If you find yourself going nuts before the time is up, then full-time Linux and you aren't yet a good match.

If on the other hand, you find it's OK, then you can think about removing the Windows partition.

jeyaganesh
October 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Have a look at Songbird for a media player. It has a more "unique" look and is skinnable.

I have used songbird before Banshee. It is a good music player in performance wise also. I like its 'favorite list' making option like in windows media player.

But songbird is a copycat of itunes look. It has same seek bar at top center. Same side bar as in itunes. Thats why I like Banshee these days.

jeyaganesh
October 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Have you tried KDE 4.1?

Yes I tried KDE before. In fact my first Linux experience was Suse 9.0 KDE:D. But I like to use Gnome, because I feel it is easy to change settings in Gnome than KDE.

I like jumping cursors and icons in KDE. Thats fun!:D

bufsabre666
October 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
You could make a deal with yourself that you will use only Linux for two weeks. If you find yourself going nuts before the time is up, then full-time Linux and you aren't yet a good match.

If on the other hand, you find it's OK, then you can think about removing the Windows partition.

this is the best idea to see if youre ready

JDorfler
October 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Or be like me and have to use a Windows Partition for work purposes, and cry every time you have to boot into it.

3rdalbum
October 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I don't see a reason why you shouldn't move to Linux. Wanting some of your programs to look different is sorta strange to me, but there are media players that have different sorts of themes. Songbird, Audacious, Mplayer, and VLC (if you install some themes) spring to mind.

frup
October 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Why on earth do you want apps to look different from the system?

So many people love Gnome because the GTK apps all have the gnome look, and I suppose the same can be said of people who love QT & KDE. That too is what makes mac popular is it not?

jeyaganesh
October 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Why on earth do you want apps to look different from the system?

So many people love Gnome because the GTK apps all have the gnome look, and I suppose the same can be said of people who love QT & KDE. That too is what makes mac popular is it not?

It is like why we love Compiz-fusion. People loves colorful life. People fed up with same look. It is like we are buying new clothes.

People's love for Mac is different story. Most people feel it is status symbol to buy Mac not because of its performance. They just want to have alternative to Windows. They cant work with linux that much easily.

frup
October 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
What I mean is Song Bird, for example && in my opinion, looks ugly on a gnome system. Pre their latest release I thought it looked really good as an individual app BUT it didn't behave or look the same as the other apps.

Rhythmbox, F-spot, Nautilus, Totem, Evolution etc. All GTK/Gnome apps. They look and behave similarly. This is a bonus because I don't have to learn 5 different ways to do pretty much the same thing.

Then we have Firefox, OpenOffice and Gimp. Gimp is GTK but very different from other apps. Firefox and OO.o have a different kind of HIG again and just so slightly different but for me have the legacy interface from where I came from before I discovered GNU/Linux. Gimp is hard for a lot of people to use and many people complain about the interface because it IS unique.

Firefox and OpenOffice have their own issue and usually cause theming problems when trying to theme the whole system, which is another area that Linux is usually considered very good at.

Most Users also dislike running QT or GTK apps in Gnome or KDE system. The point I am trying to make is that an app being different to the rest is not necessarily the best thing.

On the other hand I do understand from a feature point of view that an app must be special or what is different about it from others to make it worth using?

Maybe for media you will like elisa(sp)? Especially if you like Compiz Fusion.

amoxi
October 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hello jeyaganesh,

have you tried exaile? it's my favorite music-player.
Check out some screens: http://www.exaile.org/screens

:popcorn:

globalprompt@gmail.com
October 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah the Linux is best ;)

jeyaganesh
October 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hello jeyaganesh,

have you tried exaile? it's my favorite music-player.
Check out some screens: http://www.exaile.org/screens

:popcorn:

Hi Amoxi,
I like the exaile's website design. But the music player again looks similar to Banshee and file manager.

Helios1276
October 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hi Amoxi,
I like the exaile's website design. But the music player again looks similar to Banshee and file manager.

Amarock is slowly moving towards quite a unique look and feel, it's not quite there yet , when compared to WMP or Itunes but it is on it's way.

davidryder
October 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
You should try Rhythmbox :D

I personally run a dual-boot machine but NEVER boot Vista. I do however have XP running in VirtualBox in the even that I need Windows for anything.

It has worked well so far.

lancest
October 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Rhythmbox, Exhaile and Banshee are all Gnome inspired players as far as their clean looking interfaces. They were designed to look as such. If you think they look like "file managers" then you should realize songs are just files anyway. I would say use Amarok then. To each his own.