PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub default boot option

drudogg
October 2nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
what do i do in order to change the default boot option in grub?

i am dual booting ubuntu and leopard, and i want leopard to be default, but ubuntu is... just want to know how to change it...

Partyboi2
October 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
This (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#osprefernc) will explain how to, If you still are stuck post your grub menu.lst

cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

WWSmith36
October 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
You will have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Change the line

default 0

The first entry is 0, second is 1, etc.

crwmike
October 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
You will have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Change the line

default 0

The first entry is 0, second is 1, etc.

Also, the line "Other Operating Systems:" counts as an entry.

drudogg
October 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
i tried to do gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst but it won't let me save...

Partyboi2
October 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
i tried to do gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst but it won't let me save...
You need to open gedit with admin rights to modify the file, so in a terminal type

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

drudogg
October 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
okay, that explains a lot... thank you for that! i was very frustrated with myself, after editing and could not save it.

BTW: i want to opt for the "saved" option so it will boot the last used partition, do i need to do anything other than change the "0" to "saved" in order to activate the "savedefault" feature?

caljohnsmith
October 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
BTW: i want to opt for the "saved" option so it will boot the last used partition, do i need to do anything other than change the "0" to "saved" in order to activate the "savedefault" feature?
Just change the "default 0" to "default saved" and then add "savedefault" to whichever menu entries you want to be saved as the default entry when you boot them; see the page on "savedefault" at the official Grub website (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/savedefault.html#savedefault) for details, or let me know if you run into problems.

drudogg
October 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
did this, and it still only defaults to ubuntu.

anything else that i could try?

lumilanis
October 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
You can aslo move entire text in order which you want if it don't work with putting default 0, or 1... But it should works as that...

For example, if Ubuntu if in first line, you can exchange it's place with other OSs place. It works fine...