PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What bundled desktops/ motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu?

orrinmb
October 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Hi folks, relatively new to linux (it rox, big middle finger to m$).
I have been searching around to see what motherboards/desktops that will be recognized by ubuntu, havent had much luck finding a good list, any help appreciated.

I recently had a Shuttle SX38P2-Pro Intel Socket T(LGA775) come into my hands and didnt know if any of the linux distros supported. (would love to see a master list)

thanks !

virtuallinux
October 2nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Ubuntu has incredible device support, in fact it works with more hardware out of the box than M$, in my experience. I haven't yet run into very many pieces of hardware that weren't compatible with Ubuntu.

orrinmb
October 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
update: i was just looking at some reviews and some people said it did not work with that shuttle board listed... reviews from early 2008...

virtuallinux
October 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Well, I suppose it's possible that it might have some obscure hardware that Ubuntu doesn't support yet. I suggest downloading the Live CD and using that to see whether or not it runs on the hardwdare.

munchkinmunchkin
October 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
I've installed Ubuntu on 3 different computers, and apart from a few glitches everything worked fine.

I couldn't get my old USB modem to work, but no worries as I have a wireless router.

The Epson 880 printer takes longer to print than under Windows, but I can live with that.