PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] choppy/flashing video with ATI radeon x1650pro

donavan
October 2nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
I don't know exactly how to explain what is going on with my video but here is my best shot at it. I am getting what looks like a rendering error when ever play games or watch video (mostly flashplayer not so much with DVDs), it apperas as though the VPU forgets to render part of a line and thus causes kind of choppy/flashing lines to appear which are slightly differnent shades than the rest of the images. The lines are normally horizontal with a diagnal drop down and to the right and then continues with the horizontal until it reaches the right side of the screen. I am using the ubuntu repository drivers with the latest updates. My system is as follows:

Custom built box
Ubuntu 8.04.1CE 32 bit
Pentium D 2.66
2GB 667DDR2 (latency 3)
Diamond Multimedia ATI Radeon x1650Pro(512Mb) PCIX
LCD 1680x1050 60hz
IDE HD
USB DVDRW

I was going to try the Offical ATI drivers but everytime I try to download them the ATI page always takes me to this file
ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64 Which seems to be a 64bit file, is this a dual package containing the 32 and 64 bit driver packs?

Does anyone out there have any idea what is going?

c4tly5t
October 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
are your desktop effects on?
if they are turn them off.

donavan
October 2nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
well I have no idea what exactly fixed it but I was trying to get the dual monitors to work after having giving up on the choppiness issue for the night and I installed envyNG ran it and I think it updated my driver or some component of it and now it seems to be working fine. but your right about the pretty junk turned it off and noticed a little snappier performance ... can't believe I didn't think of that though.

thanks for the reply.