PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Font Problem (Kile)

behnamf
October 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Hello

I just installed the ubuntu 7 and I am using Kile. I have got some problems with kile, as when I am trying to comile some TEX documents I get the following error message:

ptmr7t at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found. \normalfont

I was receiving the very same message in my previous ubuntu installation and somehow I could mange to solve it, but right now, it seems un-solvable to me. Any help, suggestion will highly appreciated.

Thank you!

cariboo
October 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
Waht did you do to solve the problem on the previous version of Ubuntu.

Jim

behnamf
October 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Jim

I do not remember! I just played with it and it got solved!! but this time I am not going to be that lucky.

thanks

meho_r
October 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It says that font metric at that size isn't available. Try other font (or maybe change size) to see if that helps. BTW, it has nothing to do with Kile.

behnamf
October 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hi

I need that specific font as it is a part of the template that I should use for my paper. using other templates I do not receive that error msg.

Behnam

meho_r
October 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
It looks like Times New Roman font. Did you try loading mathptmx package? It provides Times New Roman font including all that's needed for typesetting mathematics.

behnamf
October 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
No it did not help. The error msg is casued in a .cls file, the part od the .cls file that causes the error msg reads as following:

% IEEE uses Times Roman font, so we'll default to Times.
% These three commands make up the entire times.sty package.
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}

\@IEEEcompsoconly{\typeout{-- Using IEEE Computer Society mode.}}

% V1.7 compsoc nonconference papers, use Palatino/Palladio as the main text font,
% not Times Roman.
\@IEEEcompsocnotconfonly{\renewcommand{\rmdefault} {ppl}}

% enable Times/Palatino main text font
\normalfont\selectfont

the last line causes the above mentioned msg.

Thanks

meho_r
October 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
In presented code Times New Roman is used for main text (roman/serif), Helvetica as Sans Serif font and Courier as Typewriter font. Reading commented lines I assume that you're using Palatino/Palladio font somewhere in the document but it isn't in the code presented. Is it declared anywhere else? Since this is only part of the preamble I cannot test it.

However, maybe you should post a question here: http://www.latex-community.org/

EDIT: There is Palatino indeed (ppl). My bad :(

behnamf
October 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hi

I managed to solve my problem and I am mentioning the steps for the ones who may get the same problem as I took few days for me to solve it:

1- download all the tfm fonts from here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/all/tfm-arphic-bkai00mp/download
2- install the downloaded package by right-clicking on the package and selecting GDebi installer packege
3- wait some time as it may take a while and then you are ready to go!

Thank you!

wimmelis
January 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Dear all,

I came across this thread as I have had similar problems, though in the past I solved them a different way, and it took me some time to find the solution back, but that also worked. So maybe interesting.
Go to synaptic and install the following packages: texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-fonts-extra and texlive-fonts-recommended.

WM

Markjsca1
January 26th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks. I tried the first solution, given by behnamf, and it worked for me :)

dvchops
May 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Dear all,

I came across this thread as I have had similar problems, though in the past I solved them a different way, and it took me some time to find the solution back, but that also worked. So maybe interesting.
Go to synaptic and install the following packages: texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-fonts-extra and texlive-fonts-recommended.

WM

I had the same problem, this fixed it. Thanks!

imapostdoc
August 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Dear all,

WM

wimmelis is awesome. A whole afternoon of headaches has come to an end...
Thanks!