PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to survive the hype?

brunovecchi
October 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM
Ok fellows, it's that time of the year. Intrepid is a few weeks away, and soon we'll all have to deal with the dilemma: to upgrade or not to upgrade? We are allowed to stare upon a human skull while we ponder, yes.

So my computer has been running smoothly for six months; there were absolutely no issues, no weird hung ups, no compatibility problems. It runs super fast and it's rock solid. The natural thing then would be to keep with this oh so productive and enjoyable environment and wait for the next LTS release but... Will I resist the temptation to go with the flow and upgrade? Uh? Will I?

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM
Ok fellows, it's that time of the year. Intrepid is a few weeks away, and soon we'll all have to deal with the dilemma: to upgrade or not to upgrade? We are allowed to stare upon a human skull while we ponder, yes.

So my computer has been running smoothly for six months; there were absolutely no issues, no weird hung ups, no compatibility problems. It runs super fast and it's rock solid. The natural thing then would be to keep with this oh so productive and enjoyable environment and wait for the next LTS release but... Will I resist the temptation to go with the flow and upgrade? Uh? Will I?

I know I will.

SunnyRabbiera
October 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM

Me i am sticking with hardy/ linux mint elyssa.

brunovecchi
October 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
yes, that's what we all say NOW... Let's wait until we see others talking on the forums about that super cool new X feature of Intrepid... THEN it's going to get hard.

Irihapeti
October 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Yes, it's that time of the year: first, the hype in anticipation, then after release day the yells of anger and disappointment as stuff breaks, then the retorts of the fanboys to the aforementioned yells. Eventually, it all settles down for a couple of months and then the cycle begins again. It's one part of the Ubuntu experience I don't enjoy.

As for me, I intend to stick with Hardy. I've advised my son not to upgrade his fiancée's machine (for hardware reasons, which he accepts). What he does with his own machine is up to him.

SunnyRabbiera
October 1st, 2008, 10:46 PM
well with mint becomming a rolling release I am not too worried.

JetskiDude911
October 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Right now I don't plan to upgrade. I usually only upgrade if there is a feature or something I need.

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
i always wait a month and then upgrade just to let issues work their way out, ill do try it in a vm though from day one just to test it

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Right now I don't plan to upgrade. I usually only upgrade if there is a feature or something I need.

After using pcmanfm on fluxbox, I can't wait for tabbed browsing in nautilus.

It's one of those things you didn't know you needed until you start using it.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 11:03 PM
I won't have trouble avoiding the upgrade to Intrepid - I use Slackware :)

OutOfReach
October 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I'll probably download the livecd and install it on a small partition (on which I currently have Intrepid alpha), and if everything works I'll upgrade. But until all bugs (that affect me at least) are fixed, I'll be using Hardy.

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I am already running alpha version. It runs smoothly. Early Ibex alpha versions had some problem with my nvidia card. Only thing I couldnt use was compiz. But current alpha version is working good with compiz. It is strictly not advisable to use alpha version.

Wait for one or two weeks from Ibex release date. In this time period, they usually fix problem, if any.

david_lynch
October 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM
My servers will stay on hardy - I think I'll upgrade my laptop though. My desktop at work will probably remain on hardy for compatibility with lotus notes and other workplace software.