PDA

View Full Version : What to do with network switch ?

gletob
October 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
I just received this 16 port switch from Aopen. I was really surprised how easy it was to get into my network. Just had to plug it in but I only have three wired devices on my four port router so I was wonderring if anyone had any ideas as to what to do with it
(and before you ask I want to keep it)

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Connect the router to the switch and then connect all your devices to the switch.

gletob
October 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
I already did that what about a lan party would this work ?

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I already did that what about a lan party would this work ?

What do you mean? Any device connected to the switch can talk to other devices on the switch.

gletob
October 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Like if I had one machine running a game, file sharing, or other type of server. And other people connected their PCs to it and connected. Any other suggestions ?

agurk
October 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Sure it would work for a LAN party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAN_party). Other than that, I can't think of much use for it, unless you need to hook up more than four devices to your network.

Dr Small
October 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
When you are finished with the switch, you can send it to me. I would love to have one of them :D

lisati
October 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
I don't know if I'd have a use for it.... I've currently only got two functional machines that would be connected