PDA

View Full Version : RAM memory upgradation suggestion needed

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi,
I have 1gb RAM now. I would like to upgrade it to 4gb. The system scanner from www.crucial.com recommends me to upgrade to 4gb with four 1gb RAMs.

1.What about using two 2gb RAMs instead of four 1gb RAMs?

2.Currently my Dell PC has 533MHz 1gb RAM. Can I use 667MHz RAMs?
My computer manual quotes, my pc is compatible with both 533 and 667MHz. Is 667MHz RAM superior over 533MHz?

There is little written about 533 and 667MHz on net.

Your suggestion is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

blakjesus
October 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Now im no hardware expert but, heres what i think:

533MHz and 667MHz are the different speeds of the RAM sticks. 667MHz can write and read data faster than 533MHz. Also, i dont know if this applies to all computers but your computer should be able to handle 2 x 2GB Ram sticks just fine. :popcorn:

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
First, don't waste money. If your system can use all the RAM, no point in buying it.

So, make sure your OS can use 4 GB before buying it. I don't know of any system, Windows XP or higher or Linux that can't use 3 GB, but I know Windows XP (32) can't use 4 (3.2 GB is the max I think).

Faster RAM is "better", but first ask if it is worth it. What do you do that requires so much RAM? Having a lot of RAM is fun, but computers don't increase in value. When you decide to get another, I bet this RAM will not be compatible with it.

Not trying to tell you what to do, of course, but I don't like seeing people waste money.

(I have 2.5 GB, only 1 GB of that I actually paid for (came with 1 GB, I acquired the .5 from someone who's computer I fixed (which involved upgrading the RAM, which bumped the old modules))

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Now im no hardware expert but, heres what i think:

533MHz and 667MHz are the different speeds of the RAM sticks. 667MHz can write and read data faster than 533MHz. Also, i dont know if this applies to all computers but your computer should be able to handle 2 x 2GB Ram sticks just fine. :popcorn:

Don't say "should". It can handle it, or it can't handle it.

Theory aside, computers actually have hardware limits and it is very possible that this computer can't handle more than 1 GB per slot.

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks all.
I use both Ubuntu and Vista. Vista is compatible with 4gb.
I take lot of photos. I use Canon's software to arrange and edit photos. It takes time to load photo and moving to other programs while arranging/editing photos.

Thats why I am thinking to upgrade the RAM.

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
well check your northbridge to make sure you can handle 2gb sticks, some cant. but still, if you check your northbridge you might ba able to use ddr2 800 which is better than 667 too, speed matters as much or more than ammount, i have 4gb in both my desktop and laptop, my average use is 1.2gb cause i have alot set to preload in ram, but truth is i really dont need it for linux, i have 4gb cause both computers also have vista which does use alot of it. but seriously you can get 2gb of ddr2 800 from newegg for like 40$ if you wait for a sale ((not a long wait, its like once every 2 weeks i see this deal))

Lord Xeb
October 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
4 1GB would give you faster RAM read and right times since it is reading and writing to 4 sticks. 2GB would do just fine as well. Just go with the 667. They will work. They are about the same price, so your choice.

Here are 1GB sticks (get 2 of these): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161677

and here are 2 2GB sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161677

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
But in the Dell manual they quote only 533 and 667MHz. Still can I use 800MHz?

StitchJAcket
October 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM
First, don't waste money. If your system can use all the RAM, no point in buying it.

So, make sure your OS can use 4 GB before buying it. I don't know of any system, Windows XP or higher or Linux that can't use 3 GB, but I know Windows XP (32) can't use 4 (3.2 GB is the max I think).

Faster RAM is "better", but first ask if it is worth it. What do you do that requires so much RAM? Having a lot of RAM is fun, but computers don't increase in value. When you decide to get another, I bet this RAM will not be compatible with it.

Not trying to tell you what to do, of course, but I don't like seeing people waste money.

(I have 2.5 GB, only 1 GB of that I actually paid for (came with 1 GB, I acquired the .5 from someone who's computer I fixed (which involved upgrading the RAM, which bumped the old modules))

I'm going to have to agree with the admin. First off if your using ubuntu you really don't need that much RAM. Maybe instead look into either a better video card (seeing as how this technology is constantly improving) or donate some to ubuntu?... HMMM maybe a good idea?

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
4 1GB would give you faster RAM read and right times since it is reading and writing to 4 sticks. 2GB would do just fine as well. Just go with the 667. They will work. They are about the same price, so your choice.

Oh? Are you psychic? As I said, there are hardware limitations. Nowhere did it say he could use 2 GB sticks.

No.

Paqman
October 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
You don't need 4GB on Ubuntu, unless you're using a lot of very memory hungry apps. For desktop apps you probably won't even use all of 2GB.

You can always go to 2GB for now, and monitor your usage. If you ever find that you're using all your RAM with 2GB, then go and buy another 2GB.

Personally, i'd get 2GB and spend the money i'd saved on something more worthwhile like a good quality CPU cooler, quieter case fans, or a better graphics card.

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM

id check the hardware not the dell manual. my laptop says 667 only but i put 800 into it and it works fine, check for what your northbridge supports. dell has to be conservative when putting that out

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
id check the hardware not the dell manual. my laptop says 667 only but i put 800 into it and it works fine, check for what your northbridge supports. dell has to be conservative when putting that out

But is it using it at that speed?

Also, remember if you mix speeds, the system will use the slowest speed on all the modules.

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
But is it using it at that speed?

the bios says ddr2 800 so thats a yes, and with some motherboards they might add support with bios updates, so keep that in mind too

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi, As LaRoza pointed out, my system only capable of 256, 512 or 1gb RAMs.
Thanks LaRoza.

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hi, As LaRoza pointed out, my system only capable of 256, 512 or 1gb RAMs.
Thanks LaRoza.

For speed, a lot of RAM works. If you need the speed for video, a better video card does more. Getting RAM and a video card often works better than just getting the max RAM.

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I already got Nvidia Geforce 8600 512mb graphic card.

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
I already got Nvidia Geforce 8600 512mb graphic card.

Ah, then I guess RAM is the only option.

nick09
October 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
It also depends on what type of ram your PC supports like ddr, drr2, etc.

jeyaganesh
October 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Mine is DDR2 dual channel.

hessiess
October 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks all.
I use both Ubuntu and Vista. Vista is compatible with 4gb.
I take lot of photos. I use Canon's software to arrange and edit photos. It takes time to load photo and moving to other programs while arranging/editing photos.

Thats why I am thinking to upgrade the RAM.

the bottleneck could also be the CPU, or you may have a large number of useless processes.

Canis familiaris
October 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
the bottleneck could also be the CPU, or you may have a large number of useless processes.

Somehow I doubt CPU could be a bottleneck. Motherboards generally are main bottlenecks to upgradation not CPUs AFAIK.

Lord Xeb
October 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Yes you can. It will underclock it.