PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I don't understand why we don't pay for Free Software...

Mazza558
October 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Just look at my desktop now. It doesn't look like I paid 0.00 for this. Free software has improved so much in the past 3 years. I started using Ubuntu in 2005 (registered here exactly 3 years ago). Look at the desktop now. It's scary how much I take it for granted.

smartboyathome
October 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
You are free to donate to your favorite project(s) if you want. That is what Elive does in order to get people to pay for it.

kef_kf
October 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
i dont take it for granted at all. in fact i enjoy every single minute i use my gnome desktop and so much that sometimes i do nothing and just stare at the beauty of the windows and icons.
i am so grateful for the freedom of the software i get to use, thanks a lot free software developers!:D

btw Mazza558, can i get the details for that theme? is it futurelooks2 theme pack? :)

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
It's worth remembering that a significant portion of Compiz and GNOME development is paid for by Novell. Red Hat also sponsors a number of open source projects, and Canonical has just started paying upstream devs.

Mazza558
October 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
btw Mazza558, can i get the details for that theme? is it futurelooks2 theme pack? :)

It's Ubuntu Dust Sand. I simply don't have the time to continue with Futurelooks at the moment. Maybe in a few months but I haven't made much progress other than an updated emerald theme.

vishzilla
October 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Just look at my desktop now. It doesn't look like I paid 0.00 for this. Free software has improved so much in the past 3 years. I started using Ubuntu in 2005 (registered here exactly 3 years ago). Look at the desktop now. It's scary how much I take it for granted.

The desktop speaks for itself. I agree Linux looks more polished and user-friendly than ever.

BTW, what is the feed reader? Screenlet?

Nano Geek
October 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
The desktop speaks for itself. I agree Linux looks more polished and user-friendly than ever.

BTW, what is the feed reader? Screenlet?I'd like to know too. Your desktop really looks slick.

timcredible
October 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
You are free to donate to your favorite project(s) if you want.
+1

plus, you can contribute to the open source community in other ways - like answering questions on this forum, helping with documentation on your favorite project, telling people you know about linux if they're frustrated with windows, etc.

Mazza558
October 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'd like to know too. Your desktop really looks slick.

It's just called "FeedReader" and it's a screenlet.

blakjesus
October 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I completely agree with you. Its funny how OS's like OS X make you pay hundreds for all of the features you get in it when you can do the same if not better for free with most linux distributions. :mrgreen: And Gnome made me fall in love with my desktop, sometimes when im bored i will just tweak my desktop to make it look the best it can.

I have to say though the best part about it is that you can easily change everything about how it looks. When i look at screenshots of peoples computers running Ubuntu, they never look the same :roll:

Bachstelze
October 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sometimes I don't understand why we don't pay for Free Software...

Because that's what it's all about. If you were forced to pay, it would not be Free anymore.

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM

Don't say "we". Say "I".

Anyone can contribute.

Hire
October 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Nice desktop :)

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
ive donated to a bunch of projects, ive given money to a few, ive given code to a couple, and ill give my time for support if i cant to anyone who wants it

Mazza558
October 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Don't say "we". Say "I".

Anyone can contribute.

Didn't you mean it the other way around?

LaRoza
October 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Didn't you mean it the other way around?

No, I was referring to your title:

Sometimes I don't understand why we don't pay for Free Software...

This implies that "we" don't, when it should say is "Sometimes I don't understand why I don't pay for Free Software...".

Other people do, if you say "we", you are including yourself, but everyone else as well, which is untrue, because many do pay.

Mazza558
October 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM

This implies that "we" don't, when it should say is "Sometimes I don't understand why I don't pay for Free Software...".

Other people do, if you say "we", you are including yourself, but everyone else as well, which is untrue, because many do pay.

Fair enough.

joninkrakow
October 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM

Could you maybe define what you mean by "pay"? If you mean that people pay simply in order to use the software, that's one thing, but contributing to a project because you appreciate it, and want to help, is something entirely differently, and I wouldn't use the word "pay" for that. However, I suppose that if you had in mind, something like Red Hat or SUSE Enterprise, or some such, you would be correct, but I had the impression you had contributors in mind, and that's entirely different.

-Jon

init1
October 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Honestly, I'm not impressed by the flashy stuff. It's the power and speed that I like. I would definitely pay for Debian if I had to, though :D

wasabi911
December 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Your desktop looks amazing... Could you please send me a message on how to do some of the setups you have on your desktop (the start menu and search device) it would be very much appreciated.