PDA

View Full Version : I propose a new term

MaxIBoy
October 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM
If "cloud computing" is where everything is done server-side, I think the more traditional, client-side application running ought to be called "clear sky computing."

In other words, "clear sky computing" is the exact opposite of "cloud computing." Get it? Because it's cloudless!

Sealbhach
October 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
"Pavement computing" ???

smartboyathome
October 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Nah, people already know what it is called now, no need to confuse them by inventing a new term.

Mazza558
October 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Clear sky computing doesn't make sense as "cloud" refers to a mass of computers working together. Clear sky suggests no computers at all...

uberdonkey5
October 1st, 2008, 05:33 PM
ground computing?

a basic term which suggests just one thing

MaxIBoy
October 1st, 2008, 05:46 PM
Some people seem confused as to what I mean. I mean that clear sky computing is the exact opposite of cloud computing.

loell
October 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
both looks the same to me

http://images.google.com.ph/images?q=sky

vs

http://images.google.com.ph/images?q=cloud

:D

crwmike
October 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Is'nt Dell claiming "Cloud Computing" as a trademark?:confused:

MaxIBoy
October 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
That got rejected.

Nick Lake
October 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
How about "droplet computing" to denote a single droplet as single node of compute. The problem with this is that it exhibits characteristics of a Sorites paradox - a droplet is one computer and NOT a cloud - two droplets are still not a cloud - 10^100 droplets are probably a cloud - so at what point to a bunch of droplets become a cloud?

..... hmmmmmmmm ......

Lets just go with "single node compute".

- Over

1cewolf
October 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
I prefer to simply call it "common sense computing".

Just one man's opinion.

DrMega
October 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
If "cloud computing" is where everything is done server-side, I think the more traditional, client-side application running ought to be called "clear sky computing."

In other words, "clear sky computing" is the exact opposite of "cloud computing." Get it? Because it's cloudless!

'Cloud computing' doesn't mean the same thing as server side computing. It refers to the scenario when any number of distributed heterogeneous systems share the workload.

Sealbhach
October 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Brick computing.

All done in a solid physical space, not diffuse like that fancy cloud idea.

MaxIBoy
October 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
I don't know if you're getting the pun. It's "cloudless" computing. If there's no "clouds," the sky is clear.

Sealbhach
October 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know if you're getting the pun. It's "cloudless" computing. If there's no "clouds," the sky is clear.

I don't get that.

I-75
October 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Lite Client

davidryder
October 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I think I understand but I would rather have it called "poopybut computing".

crwmike
October 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
How about SkyNet?:D

uberdonkey5
October 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think I understand but I would rather have it called "poopybut computing".

+1

kids of the future would find it easier to remember in computer science class