PDA

View Full Version : 1,000,000 Linux Notebooks for Venezuelan school children

I-75
October 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
(This has to be one of the best news ever for Linux fans)

Intel wins Venezuela laptop deal

http://www.itexaminer.com/intel-wins-venezuela-laptop-deal.aspx

By Examiner Staff @ Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:07 AM

Oil rich Venezuela will buy a million Classmate notebooks for school children, based on Intel's reference design.

But Microsoft will not get a look in at the dream deal - the machines will use the Linux operating system. Portugal itself has already signed a deal with Intel to create 500,000 "Magellan" machines for school children in its own country.

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM

Oil rich Venezuela will buy a million Classmate notebooks for school children, based on Intel's reference design.

But Microsoft will not get a look in at the dream deal - the machines will use the Linux operating system. Portugal itself has already signed a deal with Intel to create 500,000 "Magellan" machines for school children in its own country.

I don't see why this is good news for linux fans.

Good news would be if the kernel had new/better wireless drivers or something.

handy
October 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's certainly not good news for MS fans.

Ub1476
October 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM

More users -> more attention -> more development.

graabein
October 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM

IMHO the more GNU/Linux users the better we're off in the long run.

forger
October 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
If we go by that logic, most people in the world are computer illiterate, so no contributions will be done by most of them :)
If you give someone a cookie, they will look at it, see how it is on the outside, taste it.. now, if they like it they will buy some more. Even if they don't like it, since someone gave the cookie for free, some will get accustomed to it, start reading about the cookie, how it's made and how it got so low in price yet so tasty, they probably will seek a job in a cookie factory! :lolflag:

I believe you get my point :)

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
If we go by that logic, most of people are computer illiterate, so no contributions will be done by most of them :)
If you give someone a cookie, they will look at it, see how it is on the outside, taste it.. now, if they like it they will buy some more. Even if they don't like it, since someone gave the cookie for free, some will get accustomed to it, start reading about the cookie, how it's made and how it got so low in price yet so tasty, they probably will seek a job in a cookie factory! :lolflag:

I believe you get my point :)

I do get your point.

Still, why should I be thrilled about this news?

What distro is that pc using?

I feel sorry for the poor lads that are active on their support forums.

Ub1476
October 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Except these users already use hardware that is perfected for linux.

So no hardware manufactures will be pressured for (better) drivers.

Secondly, these users won't be buying commercial applications since they are already too poor to buy a pc.

These users are most likely computer illiterate people, so don't expect any contributions to the community.

Chavez didn't pick linux because he thinks it's so great. He picked it because unlike the two other big operating systems, it isn't American.

I however do see a great deal of those people switching to a pirated xp version.

1. Thrue, but the hardware manufators which isn't Linux friendly might reconsider cause they wish to be a part of the share too (in the future).

2. While maybe Photoshop wont be ported, hardware might get better support.

3. You never know. They're not dumb at least.

4. Good for him, Linux still gets marketshare.

5. So computer illiterate people will manage to install XP on a computer which doesn't even have a cd/dvd drive?

earthpigg
October 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Secondly, these users won't be buying commercial applications since they are already too poor to buy a pc.

These users are most likely computer illiterate people, so don't expect any contributions to the community.

big fat gigantic -1.

yes, they are most likely computer illiterate people... since they are poor school children.

how do people become computer literate except by having a computer to play around with and use?

well, that will be these kids.

just because they are poor doesn't mean they wont be able to contribute things back to the community - does it take anything more than an internet connection, classes at school, desire, and effort to learn whatever you want to know about programming and software development?

shotgun effect. if fate determines that n% of all Linux users will contribute to Linux, then 1,000,000 users is enough to yield some results.

maybe not next week (the kiddos gotta have time to learn first), but a couple years from now.

all of that aside, i like seeing stuff like this. low cost and effective things are good for poor folks. empowers them. its like those users around here that we have read about that refurbish old computers, install linux on them, and donate them to charity.... now that down-and-out dude can work on his resume and work on rebuilding his life.

and who are we to say, "no, that currently down and out guy can not ever contribute to the linux community." ??

EdThaSlayer
October 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Awesome, wonder how much cash Intel makes out of this. Also, funny how the global North says how good this is :D, how many people really need a laptop to survive or even learn things? The USA and Europe seemed to have quite well educated children when PC's weren't available to them.

earthpigg
October 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
Also, funny how the global North says how good this is :D, how many people really need a laptop to survive or even learn things? The USA and Europe seemed to have quite well educated children when PC's weren't available to them.

yes, but our baby boomers didn't have to deal with the basic assumption of basic computer skills the moment they graduate high school that employers increasingly have these days.

can you imagine even applying for a white collar job if you cant work a basic word processing application?

sydbat
October 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Many blue collar jobs require basic computer skills these days too. This can only help those children be part of the greater world, and increase their chances of success. Whether they "give back" to the Linux community is irrelevant.

Linux&Gsus
October 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
What distro is that pc using?

I feel sorry for the poor lads that are active on their support forums

I heard they're going to use Ubuntu.
So, I talked with a bunch of the kids and they asked if there are forums around and wanted to specifically get in touch with people who have names that might indicate that they are rich...
:lolflag:

It's not too late. You still have time to change your name :popcorn:

odiseo77
October 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Chavez didn't pick linux because he thinks it's so great. He picked it because unlike the two other big operating systems, it isn't American.

hmm, you're wrong, Venezuelan government decided to use Linux because: 1: it's more secure than windows and hence protects the government networks from intruders and crackers, etc. 2: Linux is open source so it can be adapted to Venezuelan technological needs, and 3: Linux is free, so the Venezuelan State can save a lot of money by using it instead of using windows.

Also, you're deviating the discussion to politics, which is not allowed here in the Community Cafe (and is not allowed anymore in UF.org), so I'll report your post.

uberdonkey5
October 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM

I have seen the Magellan machines here in Portugal. They are excellent, higher spec than Asus Eee pc 701 but only around 20 euros more (270-280 euros?). Keypad looks better quality also. However, the magellan machines I saw had XP on them. I'd order one if I hadn't just purchased my asus!

These notebooks are definately taking off, and may be the way to popularise linux! Good on Venezuela (though I agree with billgoldberg, it was only to annoy the US).

...funny how the global North says how good this is :D, how many people really need a laptop to survive or even learn things? The USA and Europe seemed to have quite well educated children when PC's weren't available to them.

he he, well I hope that includes me. Psychological studies have shown that people can be divided into pre and post computer boom mentalities... people under the age of around 28 are much more adapted and relaxed with using computing technology within their everyday life because they grew up with them (apparently).

Computers can waste so much time, and provide 'data' rather than 'useful information' but I think internet connectable laptops are great for making sure future populations are liberated and free thinkers and have access to global information sources (i.e. for politcal reasons)

McLogic
October 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
These notebooks are definately taking off, and may be the way to popularise linux! Good on Venezuela.

I really want to see what fun games and applications come out of this. The OLPC XO was/is nice, but it is really slow. These Classmate computers are faster, but still slow. It would be nice if these laptops had better then 945gs graphics, but Intel does not make a better graphics core for this power/price point.

The best result of having millions of new Linux laptops is that Internet sites will have to keep pages and downloads running with Linux. DRM (and software patents) is the biggest threat to open source software.

Are the screens on these laptops daylight-readable?

oldsoundguy
October 1st, 2008, 04:56 PM
No one has mentioned the simple fact that the makers of the hardware now will have to make sure that said hardware will WORK with Linux. That means that the DRIVERS will be written for Linux (and have to be open source). And THAT will spill over into the general consumer market.

And the constant P&M about wireless drivers and others is getting to be a real drag. Pre research your hardware before you decide to try and convert that unit into Linux. (especially those highly proprietary laptops.) If you see complaint after complaint about a certain chip manufacturer's wireless or sound or video and that is ON that laptop. Expecting different results is out of the picture. Some of those chip makers change their architecture as often as I change my sox! AND those are the same chip makers that do not CO-OPERATE with Linux developers.
IF your hardware does not work in Linux .. do NOT blame the developers. Blame the reason .. the MAKER of that hardware. Those clowns will create their drivers and keep them up to date for Windows because Windows is still 90% of the market (it is losing shares, but slowly), but they won't even give the time of day to the Linux developers in fear of losing their MS certification.

I have built 7 Linux boxes in the last year .. all desktops .. and did NOT have one single major hardware issue because the ONLY things that went into those boxes were PROVEN hardware items.

Laptops and computers for kids in (what is condescendingly called) the third world should be applauded. Only with OPEN education (such as is provided with web access) can this world overcome the ingrained prejudices that are causing much of the issues world wide.

odiseo77
October 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM

Well, I also notice you're trying to humiliate or degrade the Venezuelan people, which is a completely prejudiced attitude from your side (not to say a racist attitude), so, one and more reason to report your post (and a more important reason, by the way).

(And btw, you obviously have no idea about how's Venezuela and it's people...).

Greyed
October 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM

Yes, because there is absolutely no correlation between computer use and computer literacy. Why, that makes about as much sense as buying illiterate schoolchildren books! They can't read so clearly have no use for them. By $DEITY, I think you've solved the entire education problem right there! Good show!

Now, back in the real world, you'll note that having 1,000,000 Linux schoolchildren, regardless of country, will mean increased mindshare later on in their life. This will translate into more Linux developers, Linux users and Linux adopters. I mean it isn't like Microsoft and Apple are fighting over school contracts for the money.

I-75
October 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Good Lord, I never meant for this to turn into a political thread. I thought this was simply great news for millions of Linux users world wide.

Anytime some school,or some government entity moves to Linux even it is just 1000 computers it is a huge win for our side, A million computers all Linux is a gigantic win. We as Linux users should be happy about these mass migrations to Linux.

Linux is a force to be reckoned with and this has to be among our biggest wins. Frankly I am tired of hearing Linux is not ready for primetime or that no one uses it or that it only has 1 %.

Regardless if one agrees or not with Chavez or his politics. There is one clear winner...Linux...namely Ubuntu. And that is what this forum is about. This is a huge win for all of us, lets celebrate.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
More users -> more attention -> more development.
I've never bought this. Most open source operating systems are developed by people who also use them. They make the systems to suit their own needs.

Ub1476
October 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
I've never bought this. Most open source operating systems are developed by people who also use them. They make the systems to suit their own needs.

Nokia, Google, nvidia, AMD/ATI, Intel ++, you think those companies create software and drivers because of the attention Linux has got recently or because it suits their own needs?

What about Apple for instance? They have much more attention (and "certified for") now than when they had less users.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Nokia, Google, nvidia, AMD/ATI, Intel ++, you think those companies create software and drivers because of the attention Linux has got recently or because it suits their own needs?

What about Apple for instance? They have much more attention (and "certified for") now than when they had less users.
Here's my point: Linux does what I need right now. More users can't improve what's already perfect.

Ub1476
October 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Here's my point: Linux does what I need right now. More users will can't improve what's already perfect.

That's thrue, I wont argue on that ;)

Sephoroth
October 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
At minimum everyone here should be able to agree this isn't bad news. It is obviously bad for Microsoft as there is now a generation of kids in a country that won't become Windows-dependent. It would probably be better for MS if many of the people turned to piracy to overwrite their installations but due to computer literacy, I doubt that will happen.

Minor examples of how it can benefit the rest of us:
1. A major device manufacturer wants to release a printer or scanner to compatible with that laptop and hence releases it with Linux drivers (beneficial if an international product).
2. There are 1,000,000 less people we have to explain to what Linux is :lolflag:.

Long term, highly beneficial yet not too likely scenario.
Education vastly improves and other countries wish to mimic the success. More classmates are bought by other developing countries in the region which constantly becomes more wide-spread because of this. For compatability reasons if nothing else, Linux becomes present on other computers. Because of this, hardware manufacturers and software developers pay more attention to the Linux community.

I suppose it's too bad OLPC didn't get the contract.

I-75
October 1st, 2008, 09:57 PM
Here's my point: Linux does what I need right now. More users will can't improve what's already perfect.

Good point

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM
hmm, you're wrong, Venezuelan government decided to use Linux because: 1: it's more secure than windows and hence protects the government networks from intruders and crackers, etc. 2: Linux is open source so it can be adapted to Venezuelan technological needs, and 3: Linux is free, so the Venezuelan State can save a lot of money by using it instead of using windows.

Also, you're deviating the discussion to politics, which is not allowed here in the Community Cafe (and is not allowed anymore in UF.org), so I'll report your post.

Sure, that's what they would say.

And if you read the notice again on top of this forum, my post is allowed.

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well, I also notice you're trying to humiliate or degrade the Venezuelan people, which is a completely prejudiced attitude from your side (not to say a racist attitude), so, one and more reason to report your post (and a more important reason, by the way).

(And btw, you obviously have no idea about how's Venezuela and it's people...).

Venezuala, compared to Western countries is poor.

The fact that they are giving away these computers, means those kids can't afford a pc (or that's what logic dictates).

If you can't afford a pc, you are poor.

Did I judge anyone here? No. These are just facts. If you can't deal with them, that's your problem, not mine.

odiseo77
October 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sure, that's what they would say.

And if you read the notice again on top of this forum, my post is allowed.

Venezuala, compared to Western countries is poor.

The fact that they are giving away these computers, means those kids can't afford a pc (or that's what logic dictates).

If you can't afford a pc, you are poor.

Did I judge anyone here? No. These are just facts. If you can't deal with them, that's your problem, not mine.

Everything you're saying is off-topic (in regards to this thread), so I won't argue with you or try to moderate you, that's the forum staff job (and by the way, the forum staff doesn't seem to have noticed the reports I sent them...).

Johnsie
October 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM
forcing an operating system on people is not a good thing

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, because there is absolutely no correlation between computer use and computer literacy. Why, that makes about as much sense as buying illiterate schoolchildren books! They can't read so clearly have no use for them. By $DEITY, I think you've solved the entire education problem right there! Good show!

Now, back in the real world, you'll note that having 1,000,000 Linux schoolchildren, regardless of country, will mean increased mindshare later on in their life. This will translate into more Linux developers, Linux users and Linux adopters. I mean it isn't like Microsoft and Apple are fighting over school contracts for the money.

The OP stated this:

I was replying to that statement.

I am not thrilled by that news.

I would be thrilled if there were a million new kernel developers, not users.

These kids have barely used computers (or most of them anyway), so the first years they aren't going to contribute to the community. And the majority never will.

So why should I be thrilled about that news?

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Everything you're saying is off-topic (in regards to this thread), so I won't argue with you or try to moderate you, that's the forum staff job (and by the way, the forum staff doesn't seem to have noticed the reports I sent them...).

I'm sure they did.

Greyed
October 1st, 2008, 11:03 PM
I am not thrilled by that news.

( Snippage )

So why should I be thrilled about that news?Better question is, if you're not, why did you care enough to be a prick about it in a public forum and show your ignorance, conceit and overall douchbaggery? Thus far I have not seen one topic in which you have entered that was improved by your presence.

zmjjmz
October 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Getting a bit flamey in here.
bill has a good point; it doesn't exactly benefit us in the same way that 1000000 kernel developers would, but it's still good news.
I mean, 1000000 kids will be better educated and may help boost the global economy! Yay!

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
( Snippage )

Better question is, if you're not, why did you care enough to be a prick about it in a public forum and show your ignorance, conceit and overall douchbaggery? Thus far I have not seen one topic in which you have entered that was improved by your presence.

Ask one of the tens of thousands of peoples I helped solved their problem, either here or on my website.

Unlike my posts, where I did not insult nor attacked anyone, you are attacking me in public, dragging my good name through the dirt.

--

And for the record, yes I think this is good news.

But as mentioned before, I don't see a reason to be thrilled about it.

brunovecchi
October 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
I think this is great news... A million kids will learn how to use a computer the linux way. This means using open formats (huge plus in my opinion), understanding the concept and benefits of open source, not dealing with pirated and cracked software (which is morally wrong, let alone illegal) and becoming a total paranoid about viruses, trojans, spyware, etc.

On the other side, it saves the government's a lot of money, it brings serious attention to Linux and open source in general and provides proper training for potential future software developers. What's not to like?

Oh, and it also forces educators and the family in general to train themselves in open source, so the actual benefit is spread widely!

I-75
October 1st, 2008, 11:14 PM
I think this is great news... A million kids will learn how to use a computer the linux way. This means using open formats (huge plus in my opinion), understanding the concept and benefits of open source, not dealing with pirated and cracked software (which is morally wrong, let alone illegal) and becoming a total paranoid about viruses, trojans, spyware, etc.

On the other side, it saves the government's a lot of money, it brings serious attention to Linux and open source in general and provides proper training for potential future software developers. What's not to like?

Thanks, that was my reason for posting this in the first place.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Better question is, if you're not, why did you care enough to be a prick about it in a public forum and show your ignorance, conceit and overall douchbaggery? Thus far I have not seen one topic in which you have entered that was improved by your presence.
Keep it clean.

Why should we all have to be thrilled? Because you are?

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that a million kids are getting the opportunity to use a computer. However, I don't really care what OS they run.

Greyed
October 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Unlike my posts, where I did not insult nor attacked anyone, you are attacking me in public, dragging my good name through the dirt.

Sorry, I didn't attack. I stated facts.

Fact: Your original post was ignorant of basic facts in the original post.
Fact: Your original post was conceited both in tone and content.
Fact: Your continued foul tone and attitude only shows that you're more interested in mouthing off than actually making any point.

No different than you stating facts about Venezuelans, none of whom I'll wager you've ever met.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM

Such as...?

Greyed
October 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM

I however do see a great deal of those people switching to a pirated xp version.

Such as...?

"These people" being 1,000,000 school children which is, ironically, right in the topic. I don't know about you but I don't know of many school children who hold jobs to buy any software, much less commercial software, nor buy a computer to run them on, nor going to switch to pirated copies of XP since one would presume the laptops would be the property of the schools, not the children. Finally, children, to me, tends to belay the whole contributing in source form regardless of their computer literacy; which, as children, can you hardly blame them?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a childless wanker who doesn't like the little tykes one bit. But lets be realistic. Does it honestly sound like he's talking about the children here? Certainly not to me. It is only later that he backtracks out of that rather offensive stance.

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't attack. I stated facts.

Fact: Your continued foul tone and attitude only shows that you're more interested in mouthing off than actually making any point.

No different than you stating facts about Venezuelans, none of whom I'll wager you've ever met.

I believe a mod will step in soon to "clean up" this thread, but still.

How? What lines? How was it ignorant? Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it ignorant

My tone was calm and logical.

I don't know what conceited means.

Where exactly did I "mouth off"?

And I am sure I made my points very clear.

What facts did I state about Venezuelans exactly?

I said the country was poorer then the average Western country. That's the only claim made, and a correct one for that matter.

billgoldberg
October 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
"These people" being 1,000,000 school children which is, ironically, right in the topic. I don't know about you but I don't know of many school children who hold jobs to buy any software, much less commercial software, nor buy a computer to run them on, nor going to switch to pirated copies of XP since one would presume the laptops would be the property of the schools, not the children. Finally, children, to me, tends to belay the whole contributing in source form regardless of their computer literacy; which, as children, can you hardly blame them?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a childless wanker who doesn't like the little tykes one bit. But lets be realistic. Does it honestly sound like he's talking about the children here? Certainly not to me. It is only later that he backtracks out of that rather offensive stance.

I never "backtracked" out of anything.

And stand by my claims.

I can't help it you are misinterpreting them. Again, your problem not mine.
--

The government need to buy computers for the children because they parents can't afford them. I think that's pretty obvious.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM

I'm 15, so perhaps you'd like a more objective audience.

Greyed
October 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
I'm 15, so perhaps you'd like a more objective audience.

You are aware that, at 15, you're not considered a child? The terms generally run from baby, toddler, child, pre-teen, teen, young-adult, adult. Each comes with a rough age-range. You're about 2-3 ranges out of child.

Or are you saying you bought your own laptop when you were, say, 8?

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM

i started with linux when i was 14, i use windows and linux cause i can, but theres not much of the opportunity there, and besides the children will grow up and use what the learned with and feel comfortable with, just as i who use linux most of the time still have windows around cause thats what i learned with and its not easy to give it up totally

zmjjmz
October 1st, 2008, 11:31 PM
You are aware that, at 15, you're not considered a child? The terms generally run from baby, toddler, child, pre-teen, teen, young-adult, adult. Each comes with a rough age-range. You're about 2-3 ranges out of child.

Could you tell that to the government? I hate being treated as a minor (even if I am one).
I'm 15 too.

bufsabre666
October 1st, 2008, 11:32 PM

judging by the name cardinals fan hes in the us, so hes considered a child till hes 18. but from, what ive noticed children can be very influential on what computers their parents buy and use, i choose the parts and built the computer for my family at 11, does that fall into the range of child?

Greyed
October 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
judging by the name cardinals fan hes in the us, so hes considered a child till hes 18. You and he have made the same mistake.

Minor != Child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_(law)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child

Since the article is not talking about the legal context it is referring to a prepubescent human being. Since Cardinal's Fan is 15 chances are he's gone through puberty which no longer makes him a child in the context that the article.

but from, what ive noticed children can be very influential on what computers their parents buy and use, i choose the parts and built the computer for my family at 11, does that fall into the range of child?

This is true. I did as well. But influencing my parent's decisions because of my interest and knowledge of computers and being responsible for the actual purchase are two different things.

smoker
October 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Good Lord, I never meant for this to turn into a political thread. I thought this was simply great news for millions of Linux users world wide.

Anytime some school,or some government entity moves to Linux even it is just 1000 computers it is a huge win for our side, A million computers all Linux is a gigantic win. We as Linux users should be happy about these mass migrations to Linux.

Linux is a force to be reckoned with and this has to be among our biggest wins. Frankly I am tired of hearing Linux is not ready for primetime or that no one uses it or that it only has 1 %.

Regardless if one agrees or not with Chavez or his politics. There is one clear winner...Linux...namely Ubuntu. And that is what this forum is about. This is a huge win for all of us, lets celebrate.

i agree, fantastic news for linux, and the kids who will receive the laptops, no doubt. i hope more countries and educational entities are watching :-)

Canis familiaris
October 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM

EPIC FAIL.
So you were born with downright godly computer operating skills. Weren't you? ;)

I am sure out of those 1,000,000 notebooks, there would be hundreds if not thousands of them who would be introduced and entralled by the computer and technology and who knows how will they contribute.

And anyway Any News where FOSS serves people is as good as people serving FOSS. FOSS serving people is the main aim, not people serving FOSS.

KiwiNZ
October 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I quote from this areas banner

This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

Thread closed