PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No files to boot from

captain_buckethead
October 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know where to get the files necessary to boot Ubuntu from start up?
I just downloaded ubuntu 8.04.1_desktop_amd64 as an iso image, unpacked it and burned files to cd, only to discover that the iso image didnt come with the files necessary to boot with. How frustrating!!!Does anyone know where I can get these, and if any changes needed once I have them, know what to do?

Glenn.

lisati
October 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
You need to burn the ISO file as a disk image, not a data disk of the unpacked files.
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

EnGorDiaz
October 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
i suggest you just download the i686

dnt worry sounds like you have got the wrong version just make sure your laptop is 64 bit and is amd processor

EnGorDiaz
October 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
I just downloaded ubuntu 8.04.1_desktop_amd64 as an iso image, unpacked it and burned files to cd, only to discover that the iso image didnt come with the files necessary to boot with. How frustrating!!!Does anyone know where I can get these, and if any changes needed once I have them, know what to do?

Glenn.

oh now i see your problem goto the help page

robert shearer
October 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM

Glenn.

Hi, What "unpacking" did you do?
Usually the chosen iso is simply downloaded and then burnt straight to cd as Lisati says.
If after burning you examine the disc and it contains one big file with a .iso tag then you've burnt it wrong.
If the disk contains a number of folders and files then it is burnt right and should boot.
Check that and repost if you still have trouble booting.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso
This guide for downloading and burning in Windows. Note the "Remember" caution on the first page.