View Full Version : [xubuntu] can't get my Phone to Pair with PC via Bluetooth

October 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM

Posting it on behalf of my Friend because he does not have a Internet connection
He uses a GPRS connection for Internet, he was on Windows recently then i made him switch to Linux.
Now the the problem with when we tried to pair Phone with PC, phone asks us for a Pass key, which we enter and it says Pairing failed.

I got his phone for some time for testing , I tried pairing it with my Box which runs Arch Linux. i also got the some error. and then i left the command "passkey-agent --default 1234" running in background and tried pairing the phone. it worked instantly.so if it works on Archlinux and then it should work on xubuntu also http://linuxmint.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

When i Tried the same on his machine, it said passkey-agent is not found.
His Distro is: xubuntu

# HCI daemon configuration file.

# HCId options
options {
# Automatically initialize new devices
autoinit yes;

# Security Manager mode
# none - Security manager disabled
# auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
# user - Always ask user for a PIN
security auto;

# Pairing mode
# none - Pairing disabled
# multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
# once - Pair once and deny successive attempts
pairing multi;

# Default PIN code for incoming connections
# passkey "1234";

# Default settings for HCI devices
device {
# Local device name
# %d - device id
# %h - host name
name "BlueZ (%h)";

# Local device class
class 0x000100;

# Default packet type
#pkt_type DH1,DM1,HV1;

# Inquiry and Page scan
iscan enable; pscan enable;

# Default link mode
# none - no specific policy
# accept - always accept incoming connections
# master - become master on incoming connections,
# deny role switch on outgoing connections
lm accept;

# Default link policy
# none - no specific policy
# rswitch - allow role switch
# hold - allow hold mode
# sniff - allow sniff mode
# park - allow park mode
lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;

# # Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;
# # Bluetooth address of the device
device 00:1D:98:C5:F6:27;
# # RFCOMM channel for the connection
channel 1;
# # Description of the connection
comment "Example Bluetooth device";

if any extra package needs to be installed, then please tell the package name & all its dependencies, the machine does not have internet connection. so we can't use the apt package manager.

October 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
deafault passkey is 1234 stored in hcid.conf I think sorry misread your message Phil bluetooth bluez-utils bluez-gnome have you all these installed? I have just paired a nokia with these I can send from pc to phone but not the other way. if you run bluetooth-applet and get the icon in the systray selecting prefs right click you will see browse device option greyed out. All I did was delete pairing on phone and re - pair the phone and enter default passkey in phone 1234. I am led to believe that Nautilus is required to be installed for the browse device option to appear phil bluetooth bluez-utils gnome-blues these are installed on my pc

October 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
But the problem is the Machine does not have a INTERNET connection :|

Looks like we gotta go back to windows xp

Pellervo Kässi
December 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
This is quite old thread, but i decided to answer, because I couldn't find almos any information considering this topic with google. I've been trying to establish an internet-connection with my girlfriend laptop and my gprs phone using bluetooth and ppp through rfcomm. The rfcomm-connection worked flawlessly, but I couldn't pair the laptop with the phone.

According to launchpad the passkey-agent seems to have been missing from the ubuntu bluex-utils-package since 2006. Don't know wheter there is a reason or not. Anyway I got the pairing working doing as PhilJ told, installing bluez-gnome (I also installed gnome-bluetooth) and all its dependencies. After installing I ran on console bluetooth-applet and the bluetooth icon appeared on the xfce-panel. Without having nautilus installed I couldn't browse the devices, but now hitting the pair-button on the phone caused a pop-up to appear on my desktop and I could enter the pin I gave in the phone.

And about the problem in installing software without having an internet-connection:
I downloaded the packages using http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ took the downloaded with an usb-stick to the another computer and installed them using the gdebi (ofcourse you can use dpkg). The gdebi tells before installation, which dependencies are unsolved I had to fetch also files:

Total size of these files was about 500 kb.

Another option is to take an Ubuntu (not xubuntu) install cd (or the DVD) to him/her and install it as a repository and install the needed files from there.

Found the documentation for bluez-utils @*/usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/examples there is a file README.Debian.gz from that file:

"The old infrastructure /etc/bluetooth/passkey has been removed since the agent
is supposed to be started by a user session. It is not meant to be system-wide. "

-- snip --

"Note to the tech-savvy:
If you are stuck in console and absolutely need to pair with your bluetooth
device have a look at /var/lib/bluetooth/<your_device_address>/pincodes.
Please note that this mode of operation is _not_ _supported_.
The format is (one per line): <remote_address><whitespace><pincode>
Don't mess with files in /var/lib/bluetooth/ unless you know what you are
doing. I repeat: manually adding a pincode for a remote device is NOT

Does anyone know if the bluez-gnome is delivired with xubuntu 8.10 or will be in 9.04? This is a major flaw in xubuntu compared to (K)&Ubuntu. Or is there any non-gnome solution for pairing bt-devices?