PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Why does Dolphin love to crash?

kooldino
October 1st, 2008, 01:55 AM
At least twice a day, Dolphin will crash on me. It will generally bring down whatever Dolphin window I'm currently working in. It seems to happen a lot when I move files (as opposed to copying them).

It's extremely annoying and kind of ridiculous. Am I alone here?

kooldino
October 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Anyone else have this problem?

Darktrax
October 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Dolphin was the first Ubuntu application to completely fall foul of me.

A folder of perfectly good html files brings up the dolphin-service_menus-amarok error. Just mousing into the window does it, and since the install is only 1 day old, I have to assume that bug #199313 is still there

There are others - though I am not sure its Dolphin or Amarok

Bug #43082 link here (http://www.nabble.com/-Bug-43082--NEW:-Amarok-%27actions%27-in-Dolphin-contextual-menu-don%27t-work-td19119823.html)

Maybe my needs are too far from the default install. Certainly it has taken awhile to fight the system into something I feel OK with. I get the impression that KDE does not sit easily in Ubuntu. Dolphin was the last in a line of other problems I forgave, just because I reasoned that Ubuntu was so widely used, it was just that I needed to "get used to it". There is a limit to how much application bad behavior I can forgive.

Dolphin is now un-installed and Amarok might also be dumped if it features again. KDE4 will not fly here either anytime soon.

kooldino
October 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM
KDE 3 is pretty good for me overall, but there are a few gripes I have that are clearly due to it being underdeveloped.

KDE 4 OTOH, still has a long way to go in my book. I tried it a few months back and couldn't even get kdesudo to work. I looked it up and it's a known bug. That's kind of a big deal.

jpkotta
December 25th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I suspect the problem is pretty deep in KDE. I usually use Krusader, and it has the same bug as Dolphin (it is linked against KDE 4 now). It's the context menu that pops up when you drag files. AFAICS, it's only when you drag over a directory icon. You can drag to another pane and it's OK. It's very annoying, but I already updated this machine. I will not be updating any other machines to Intrepid. I don't use KDE, I just use a few KDE apps.