PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Biggest noob question ever.......

Youbuntoo44
October 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM
How do you install anything that's not in the Add/remove applications thing? I've been trying to install synaptic and Cinelerra for an estimated 7 hours straight and need help before I start damaging my health :/ I refuse to use the terminal because I simply hate it, every single command I put in it gives me an error. I'm starting to believe it doesn't work at all. I need really straight forward help, why can't it be like windows when you click the .exe and it works (almost) every time? My goal for today is to install Cinelerra. Ty.

Youbuntoo44
October 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Gah! I am an idiot for not knowing that Ubuntu has Synaptic installed.... D'OH! I found Cinelerra and I am getting errors saying it can install certain files.....WAHHH WHEN DO THE ERRORS EVER STOP!?!??!?!?

tuxxy
October 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
You use synaptic to install software or the terminal hehe =p

Heres a guide on installing software (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware)

73ckn797
October 1st, 2008, 01:46 AM
Gah! I am an idiot for not knowing that Ubuntu has Synaptic installed.... D'OH! I found Cinelerra and I am getting errors saying it can install certain files.....WAHHH WHEN DO THE ERRORS EVER STOP!?!??!?!?

Hang in there!

Sometimes it is best to shut things off, walk away for a while, gather your senses, then attack it like it is only a machine and you are superior to these man made contraptions.

I do understand your frustrations.

Take some time to just browse around in Ubuntu. You will discover so much!

oldos2er
October 1st, 2008, 02:29 AM

Could you copy and paste the errors here?

Youbuntoo44
October 1st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Yup, it says:

O.O

wow.

For some reason I try it again and it magically works.....
Ty guys!

AlexBellisBrown
October 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Personally, i really like the .deb way of doing things.... try here: www.getdeb.net

From there, you can download and install a few programs which are packaged with the .deb system. I find it very user friendly! :)