PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install 8.04, at wits end, multile failures

Eviliza
October 1st, 2008, 12:32 AM
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 for over a day now, and I'm at my wits end. I purchased the Ubuntu CD by following the link from the Ubuntu webpage, and I'm installing it on a new Dell Vostro, which more than meets the tech specs need for Ubuntu. The new computer came with no operating system installed, so I'm not trying to partition off or remove a Windows installation, or upgrade from something else.

The most recent problem I've been having is this... lately I've been trying to install using the text mode, with irqpoll as a boot option. It goes through fine until it gets to the "installing the base system" section. At 83%, it fails while it is trying to configure linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24.16-generic. At that point, it spits and error and says that installing the base systems failed because it couldn't install the kernel. This problem has recurred in several successive installation attempts.

For the record, previous problems included problems booting (ata1.00 revalidation error, resolved by removing quiet splash from the boot options and adding irqpoll) and lots of random freezes at different places (including after the install has started and before while going through the question screens) that were occurring at random points while trying to use the graphical install, and why I switched to using a text install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've successfully installed previous versions of Ubuntu on other machines, and have never had these kinds of problems. Thanks.

Eviliza
October 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Update: Have also tried now with previous versions of Ubuntu, and those aren't working either, though they are old disks, so that might be the problem with those.

Eviliza
October 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Finally got it working... downloaded another copy of the install disk, and used that... guess I wasted my money buying a copy.... still had some problems with it, but eventually it all got installed. Regardless, it is working now.