PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Pages : [1] 2

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Guys,

I know there are some topics already concerning this issue, but there is none with a pool. I think we need to know - what is preferred - the default brownish colour scheme, or something else ?

I particularly can handle with the brownish look, but I was amazed when I saw how much better it can look using another colour scheme. I think the default could be blue, sliver, black-ish, green .... but not brown ..

When showing it to my friends, one of the most popular comments is - "eh, looks good, except for the Brown windows". And I'm not alone - I've seen lots of people make the same content on their blogs. Also, if you guys search on the internet, most of the people that are recommending others to use ubuntu also strongly recommend to get others themes...

So I wanna know what you think about it - stick with the brown-orange shades, or move to something else ?

Some folks say the the brown is the most "human" and "familiar" colour .... but I doubt that .. if it was true, I think brown would be the preferred colour to choose on cars, trains, etc. And I've never seen a brown car, or train, or tech-related product... (exepct for a dirty one) :-/

Another option that I thought is not sticking with a default - let the user try and choose from the most popular themes at start time. This would be awesome imo.
Please, note you can choose more than one option on the pool !!

CAD-MAN
October 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Guys,

I know there are some topics already concerning this issue, but there is none with a pool. I think we need to know - what is preferred - the default brownish colour scheme, or something else ?

I particularly can handle with the brownish look, but I was amazed when I saw how much better it can look using another colour scheme. I think the default could be blue, sliver, black-ish, green .... but not brown ..

Hardy's new colour scheme is rumored to be orange and black (although I think it should be slightly off-black, maybe with a tint of brown, or grey). Check this thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565685)

Some folks say the the brown is the most "human" and "familiar" colour .... but I doubt that .. if it was true, I think brown would be the preferred colour to choose on cars, trains, etc. And I've never seen a brown car, or train, or tech-related product... (exepct for a dirty one) :-/

Another option that I thought is not sticking with a default - let the user try and choose from the most popular themes at start time. This would be awesome imo.

Really?! I would have thought green would be the most 'familiar' colour (if there is one), or perhaps blue.

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=591257

Please, give your vote to the pool! ;)

misfitpierce
October 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Big fan of the brown myself... Prob favorite color right there.

Perpetual
October 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I like it. I don't care a lot for the window decoration but it's easily modified. I don't want to see it changed much. Maybe updated but it's Ubuntu's 'look'...

And the black and orange rumor...i hope is just a rumor. It will be the first Ubuntu that I changed from it's default.

n3tfury
October 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM
it doesn't matter what the theme is by default, it's going to get changed whether, brown, blue, grey, or black, to what i want.

i voted to keep it brown since it's a nice and different scheme.

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
@CAD-MAN
Wow!! Orange-black looks promising. I have an orange-black-wite keyboard that I love!

@ misfitpierce, Perpetual
I think there will never be a set of shade with more than 90% of approval. This is why I'm suggesting an option to let the user try and choose a theme at installation time .... this way, we could please everybody ... and brown can still be kept as default colour for the live-cd, to define the "identity" of ubuntu, as some folks say.

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM
n3tfury, I agree with you. I just think that we should make this procedure easier for the new user, by letting him choose at install time. Most ubuntu users (for example, my mom, and my girlfriend) don't know how to change the theme, or think it's too complicated/difficult.

vexorian
October 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I love gutsy's and feisty's default themes.

The poll is quite unfair given that it is brown vs. All the other colors!

If anything, if the user does not like the brown he will eventually get to the theme manager and be impressive by how easy it is to change the theme and how many awesome themes are included by default... (Clearlooks and Crux, quite nice) (AND SERIOUSLY, if preferences\Appearance and themes is not easy enough to change the theme, nothing would be)

On my desktop I am using a very nice green theme made by myself, I love it.

Perpetual
October 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I don't think Ubuntu's Appearance Settings are any more difficult than WinXP's. Actually, Windows are buried deeper than Ubuntu's (Gnome's).

Tobias Pistohl
October 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I am very certain, that the default color scheme of Ubuntu should NOT be changed. Please don't! Why, you ask?

1. Ubuntu has to keep being recognizable among the zoo of user interfaces. You have to recognize it on first sight. With Kubuntu, with it's blue theme, I'm afraid, this is not the case.
2. There can always be an evolution in the looks (I personally appreciated to move to lighter, more orange colors very much), but it should be done with a certain amount of consistency. A complete switch in the color scheme signifies something completely new - Windows can do that, because they bring out new versions only every couple of years, but Ubuntu is updated much more gradually, every 6 month.
3. What is - from a distance - recognized as a distinctly good design, normally does not look like what the great majority of people thinks (is made to think?) would be good looking. Example: Since the first iMacs they really had a sense for good design. Remember, when they introduced the first flat-panel iMacs, iBooks and iPods in that glossy white plastic look, everybody else thought (and some still do) that plastic housings had to be silver-colored in order to look like ... silver plastic? Now many other manufacturers try to imitate that (not always with huge success).
4. I tried other color schemes, but they always made me feel like I was using Windows, MacOS X or SuSE, and I don't want that - especially when I am NOT working with Windows, MacOS or SuSE. So I always came back.

So please, no hasty switches in the Ubuntu color scheme!

vexorian
October 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Actually, I've been thinking to post a blueprint about this:

Live cd starts, before anything else a dialog appears

It got 4 options in a 2x2 layout (with previos)

"Welcome to Ubuntu 8.04 please pick your prefered layoud"

The options are:

Human gnome . Blubuntu gnome
Human familiar . Blubuntu familiar

So, you pick blubuntu and you got a blue-theme, should have human's icons but with blue tones, etc.

Now the key is: You pick familiar and it will set the layout to be a single task bar with "ubuntu button" and clock in the right side plus a desktop picker and there will be Computer and trash icons in the desktop.

The problem is that there is an identity with ubuntu's current look and layout, something I am not sure is worth sacrificing for making things easier to users, but this has the potential of being a liked feature, since there will always be people complaining about the brown theme and who think that familiar is friendly (Ask the users that think a KDE distro is friendlier just because it initially looks closer to windows...)

Tobias Pistohl
October 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM
n3tfury, I agree with you. I just think that we should make this procedure easier for the new user, by letting him choose at install time. Most ubuntu users (for example, my mom, and my girlfriend) don't know how to change the theme, or think it's too complicated/difficult.

I disagree with making the theme an install option. People are worrying about other things, when installing a new operating system. And since Ubuntu is very much known for it's simplicity, every unnecessary install option should be avoided.

But perhaps some more unique, consistent and polished themes could be provided in the theme manager. The themes that can now be found there by default look more like some outdated default Gnome themes rather than some freaky eye-candy Ubuntu-optimized themes.

Rui Pais
October 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM
i love this topic! we have a 'i hate brown' every week or so :lol:

btw i have seen brown cars before, but never a blue background coca-cola logo, a green ferrari or brown heinz beans... why would that be ;)

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 08:00 PM
The ubuntu community (people using ubuntu for some time) tent to like the brown theme ... but I'm not alone, check out this search : http://www.google.com.br/search?q=ubuntu+ugly+brown+desktop

I'm not saying that we should change to colour X. I'm saying that we need to offer other hi-quality shades, and let the user know of them.

vexorian,

To say the truth, I like the human theme, expect the window decoration... I find it really unpleasant ...

I agree the pool may seen unfair, but I'm trying to put it on the new-comming user point of view. It IS easy to change the theme, but most users don't even know that the theme can be radically changed. The first impression counts much, and Ubuntu should try the best to ensure the first contact makes an impression.

The idea for the blueprint is what I'm thinking about - but maybe with a button - show me more themes - that let's you select green, blue, red, themes, all on the same Ubuntu standard, only changing the shades, and thus preserving the identity for the Ubuntu interface.

Tobias Pistohl,

Well, I think that it's not only the color that makes something distinct, but the design quality, style, and detail. I can VERY clearly differentiate a blue Mercedes from a blue Passat, even if they are on the EXACT same shade...

You should also note that as Ubuntu is going more and more mainstream, it's getting also known for it weird-brown colour scheme. Google can show this. It would take only a few clicks to choose the style that pleases you best, and imho, that would be a really added bonus for ubuntu users, making it look even more simple to use and smart, because the way the interface looks IS relevant to the most majority of users. Some seconds spend picking up the best shades compensates the "hassle" it causes for the user, if you think how happy he should be, thinking he has his very own personalized to his taste Ubuntu look.

Bruce M.
October 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I put my vote with: I prefer brown

But I think the choice is wrong. It should be "Do you like the brown theme" as per the title of the thread. I still would have choosen that. It's so UN-windows which gives it a 10 in my books.

Besdes, it can be changed if you don't care for it.

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Rui,

Nice you like the topic! :) I think the important is to discuss and try to implement what is best for the end users. I personally don't hate brown that much :D I just think that the way Ubuntu looks shouldn't prevent anyone (even a newcommer) from loving Ubuntu.

btw :
green feraris : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijsselstein/66534102/
coca cola logo : I think logos should remain in the same color. Ubuntu logo looks great, I love it!
beans : In my country, there is a local food called green beans! :) They take the beans while they are still maturing....

Irony
October 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I like the brown, though it looks more orange to me.

Adding an option during install would simply add an irritating step to the install.

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Bruce M.
Sorry for not keeping up with the post title ... :) I just wanted to make it more attractive, and see if people like the idea of letting the user know the power of Gnome/Compiz themes while choosing his/her color of preference.

wladston
October 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Irony,
For you, who loves the brown theme, yeah ... but think about those who don't know about changing themes, and HATE the brown theme, and would be much happier with another shade ...
For you, it would be just one single "irritating" click, but for a lot of people, it would represent more possibility of choice, personalization, etc..

Bruce M.
October 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I checked out the google search that wladston mentioned and found:

shimon
March 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
But brown looks like poo...

Yes, but so does a chocolate bar in 35 (C) heat, but I'll still eat it. :)

DestroyMicroshaft
October 25th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Im not much for the brown, but no matter the color I wont leave it default anyway :)

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7933/screenshot1yz7.th.png (http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1yz7.png)

Baby Boy
October 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I love the brown theme. I'd rather tweak it a bit and improve it than use another one.

svivian
October 25th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I like the brown theme too, though I'd call it "orange" not brown. The one thing I dislike is the shade used for the title bar. Seems a bit...I dunno, "dirty"? IMO it would be better either as a rich chocolate colour, or a brighter orange colour.

PS I also love the shading on the buttons and toolbars, it's like a softer version of the "web 2.0" shiny look. MUCH better that Vista's awful toolbar shading!

CAD-MAN
October 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I like the brown theme too, though I'd call it "orange" not brown. The one thing I dislike is the shade used for the title bar. Seems a bit...I dunno, "dirty"? IMO it would be better either as a rich chocolate colour, or a brighter orange colour.

PS I also love the shading on the buttons and toolbars, it's like a softer version of the "web 2.0" shiny look. MUCH better that Vista's awful toolbar shading!

I agree - the window title bar is disgusting. I think moving more towards orange, and keeping hints of *good* shades of brown would be better. At the end of the day, when people look at screenshots of an OS, they will usually be seeing the default appearance. If that appearance is ugly, the majority will be put off, regardless of how good the operating system is.

Number one design fact: NOBODY wants anything that is ugly.

If we have scores of people saying that the default theme looks like poo, then it is clear that we must rethink. The human theme as it is can still be kept as an option (much like *shock* *horror* Microsoft kept their Windows 95/98 'classic' theme as an option in XP and Vista), but we need a new default

Rui Pais
October 25th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I agree - the window title bar is disgusting. I think moving more towards orange, and keeping hints of *good* shades of brown would be better. At the end of the day, when people look at screenshots of an OS, they will usually be seeing the default appearance. If that appearance is ugly, the majority will be put off, regardless of how good the operating system is.

Number one design fact: NOBODY wants anything that is ugly.
Thats not a "fact" by the simple fact that "ugly" it's a personal subjective opinion.
What some found ugly there are always others who found beauty.

If we have scores of people saying that the default theme looks like poo, then it is clear that we must rethink. The human theme as it is can still be kept as an option (much like *shock* *horror* Microsoft kept their Windows 95/98 'classic' theme as an option in XP and Vista), but we need a new default

Scores of this threads on color default always go half/half.
Brown/orange is one of the brand mark of Ubuntu... change it would be a severe decision as change logo.

On what is brown. Land is brown, the great majority of human people have brown skin (white are a minority in the world), trees trunk are brown.
Generically speaking the brown is every where around us... if one can only see it in excrement ... well, what can we say?

CAD-MAN
October 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Thats not a "fact" by the simple fact that "ugly" it's a personal subjective opinion.
What some found ugly there are always others who found beauty.

Scores of this threads on color default always go half/half.

When things go half/half, this shows that a large amount of people find the theme ugly. Virtually no products ever sell well by being half good. We don't want to be half/half, but with the majority of people saying that they like the theme.

Brown/orange is one of the brand mark of Ubuntu... change it would be a severe decision as change logo.

On what is brown. Land is brown, the great majority of human people have brown skin (white are a minority in the world), trees trunk are brown.
Generically speaking the brown is every where around us... if one can only see it in excrement ... well, what can we say?

Exactly - the theme is brown/orange. I think we should lean more towards the orange - it would fit with the logo, and wouldn't remind some people of excrement. This is the plan for Hardy - and I must say, I agree.

CAD-MAN
October 25th, 2007, 10:11 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583336

That's a link to a thread in the Hardy forum about the theme. The poll indicates that changes are needed...

P.S. I think there should have been an option in this thread's poll for 'a slight deviation from the brown', or similar.

sugarland2k
October 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Not totally but remember where Ubuntu comes from. Ubuntu is changing the world of computing and it's all free! The best O/S on the planet and the best community.

Brown is an earth tone and I can live with it. Not my favorite default color but I usually hang out in blue Kubuntu or green OpenSUSE.

Screen colors can be changed!

vexorian
October 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I love the title bar.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583336

That's a link to a thread in the Hardy forum about the theme. The poll indicates that changes are needed...

The poll indicates that everybody wants their own favorite theme to be default.

vexorian
October 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Irony,
For you, who loves the brown theme, yeah ... but think about those who don't know about changing themes, and HATE the brown theme, and would be much happier with another shade ...
For you, it would be just one single "irritating" click, but for a lot of people, it would represent more possibility of choice, personalization, etc..
But if we changed the brown to blue we'll have to think about the 'poor' people that can't change the theme and despise the blue, as well.

http://www.google.com.br/search?q=ub...+brown+desktop

The day canonical begins to listen to those guys that are quick at dismissing something for just the color is the day I'll ditch ubuntu.

To be fair most of those hits are old, the theme has improved. I'd rather have an "ugly brown" than a "copycat blue". And seriously, pick any color but blue and you'll always get complaints, people tend to believe their tastes are some kind of standard in color quality and it is worse when they think that blue is an standard as well...

jayson.rowe
October 26th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I guess I'm just a "Default" kinda guy - I change my background depending on mood, but everytime I change "themes" from human, I end up putting it back in 10min or less...

Nymphadora
October 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Personally, I've liked the brown color scheme ever since I really started looking into using the OS. Brown is a warm, friendly color and, I guess because of that, that's the impression I have of Ubuntu.

That said, I'm actually planning to change it myself at some point once I can learn how to create my own theme and express myself through it. But I'd still like to see the brown as the default theme just because it's very defining.

-grubby
October 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM
the default theme makes me want to puke..but lots of people like it, and I don't see why we need to get rid of it when it's so easy to change. Also, you're telling me you've never seen a brown car?!?!

crimesaucer
October 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I Love the Ubuntu Brown... but we need to lose the Gray Panels, Gray Apps...

We should actually have it install with Brown, but also include a theme in Blue, Green, Red, Orange, Yellow, White, and Black... have the matching gtk clearlooks Glossy themes, and the matching metacity theme.

Also include a choice of different color human icon packs, and a few different choices of a glossy panel image.

Then nobody complains, Ubuntu stays true to what it's always been... and people that don't know how to install themes can at least have an easy choice of a few good ones.

P.S.- I've owned two Brown cars. One was a metallic brown, and they other was a light tan, like this forum's color. both had a brown colored interior.

wladston
October 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Looks like people agree on something :

* Orange/Brown are Ubuntu colour set identity, and should be kept as a default
* Different people have different colour tastes - a big % of people dislike the brown on Ubuntu's default theme, specially on the title bar
*It's desirable to have everyone to love their system colour

So - what do you guys think about my suggestion - provide the human theme on lots of shades (blue, red, green, silver, black, etc.), and give the user the final decision of how is the system colour suposed to be ?
The brown/yellow can still be the "pre-selected" one, what makes it still be the default theme.

Also, remember to think about the "new" ubuntu users - they don't have the technical skils to go arround the internet, search blue/red/green/black/etc. themes and install it. Most of the "new" users don't even know what is a theme, and that it can be changed .... the portion of then that doesn't like blue just looks at it and sees it as "boring" and "dusty" ...

Imagine people commenting how great the new Ubuntu system is - it can be configured to the colour the user chooses, at install time! Generally when companies do it (for example, ship a product in many colours for you to choose, or gives you more cases when you buy your cellphone, so you can switch them), it becomes a major success...

por100pre1
October 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The same old recurring discussion! Human is fine, with nice colors. Just pimp the panels a little bit; maybe other orange icons and would be just perfect. We don't need another Luna theme!
:guitar:

Dreamy1
October 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Yes and no, although a much darker would actually suit better I think. :)

jespdj
October 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I am not a fan of the default brown theme, but customizing the colours and the look and feel is very easy.

Ubuntu works great on my computer, but there are ofcourse bugs, and fixing those is infinitely more important than having the default colors changed...

CAD-MAN
October 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
We don't have to lose the brown/orange entirely - just go more towards the orange than the brown (but still keep hints of brown).

This is the plan for Hardy (along with blackish panels).

wladston
October 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Guys,

I'm not here to propose the default color to be changed. I'm here to propose that the user is given a choice to see what colour he likes best on his own desktop .... some of you guys, ubuntu lovers, think that the human theme as it is is fine, but I can guarantee that you are not the majority..... Many people, mostly the people that don't love ubutu yet, people that don't use this forum, find the colour scheme and the title bar really boring and ugly compared to windows, and they think, in consequence, that it's less powerfull than other operating systems. As people said earlier - the first impression counts a lot, and people DO give a lot of importance to the design.

If you want to see it as a bug, the bug would be - "Ubuntu look is a barrier to the new user"

or - "most new users aren't satisfied with Ubuntu theme"

when convincing my girlfriend, that mainly uses the computer for internet and writing papers, to use linux, the most difficult part for her was the brown title bars ...

crimesaucer
October 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Guys,

I'm not here to propose the default color to be changed. I'm here to propose that the user is given a choice to see what colour he likes best on his own desktop .... some of you guys, ubuntu lovers, think that the human theme as it is is fine, but I can guarantee that you are not the majority..... Many people, mostly the people that don't love ubutu yet, people that don't use this forum, find the colour scheme and the title bar really boring and ugly compared to windows, and they think, in consequence, that it's less powerfull than other operating systems. As people said earlier - the first impression counts a lot, and people DO give a lot of importance to the design.

If you want to see it as a bug, the bug would be - "Ubuntu look is a barrier to the new user"

or - "most new users aren't satisfied with Ubuntu theme"

when convincing my girlfriend, that mainly uses the computer for internet and writing papers, to use linux, the most difficult part for her was the brown title bars ...

I understand your point, but at the same time disagree. Ubuntu is pretty easy to customize and change, easier than windows and most people know how to do that. A beginner also feels accomplished after changing a theme to exactly how they want it, which is a nice feeling after being on Windows Xp.

Your girlfriend could of easily chose a different window theme like clearlooks, glossy, industrial... and they come pre-installed with the human theme... just like we are suggesting with different color human themes.

She could of easily gone to System-->Preferences-->--Appearance ...and then... just clicked the easily scene, "Customize.." button, to choose the "Colors" tab, which can change everything. She could even choose the "Window Border" tab to just change the human brown windows...

While there in the "Customize.." section, you can mix and match your icons, pointers, and gtk themes as well.

The whole "theme" issue used to be more of a problem back in 6.06, and in distros like xubuntu... Where changing themes as a beginner was still easy, but not customizable like it is now in ubuntu 7.10... installing Beryl was more complicated, and the way to really enjoy unique custom themes was to download a gtk-2.0.tar.gz, unpack it and place it in the correct area... with the correct theme engine installed... now that was difficult for a beginner.

But don't get me wrong, I agree that there should be at least 5 new gtk themes added to the pre-installed themes. In those 5 new themes, they should all basically be the same theme, with maybe a few differences in the widgets... and they should each have a matching ubuntu wallpaper theme, a matching ubuntu humna icon pack, and a matching glossy panel theme...

I would suggest that we go with the Orange for default since it's had already been chosen by the developers, then have a Brown, Blue, Green, and Black ubuntu wallpaper with matching human gtk theme available.

The reason why I suggest that is that when people blog about Ubuntu, and they do all those screenshots that end up on digg and lifehacker, now they can show the screenshots of all the new ubuntu looks and everyone can shut up about the brown wallpaper because it will be one of the five choices shown.

wladston
October 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM
crimesaucer,

I get your point. But the fact is that most people don't know about themes, and that they can be changed. Ubuntu has no "Features tour", and on windows, changing the theme isn't an easy/common task.

My gf was amazed when I told her that the colours, tiles, title bars and icons could easily be changed. She looked at me and said - "oh, really" ?

My mother, who isn't really familiar with a computer, should have a similar vision. The idea is getting the people to know the powerness of Gnome, letting then know how easy it is to change themes.

A more concrete example - a computer case colour/style can be changed, but if the seller doesn't propose the alternatives at the sell time, most of the guys will stick with the "default" option the seller offer, because they won't know that there are other options.

When you are with a seller, you can ask "hum... are there other colours available ?" With an oprating system that can't understand the human speech, things can be more difficult, specially for those that don't have experience with computers.

crimesaucer
October 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM
crimesaucer,

I get your point. But the fact is that most people don't know about themes, and that they can be changed. Ubuntu has no "Features tour", and on windows, changing the theme isn't an easy/common task.

My gf was amazed when I told her that the colours, tiles, title bars and icons could easily be changed. She looked at me and said - "oh, really" ?

My mother, who isn't really familiar with a computer, should have a similar vision. The idea is getting the people to know the powerness of Gnome, letting then know how easy it is to change themes.

A more concrete example - a computer case colour/style can be changed, but if the seller doesn't propose the alternatives at the sell time, most of the guys will stick with the "default" option the seller offer, because they won't know that there are other options.

When you are with a seller, you can ask "hum... are there other colours available ?" With an oprating system that can't understand the human speech, things can be more difficult, specially for those that don't have experience with computers.

We really are both in agreement on the issue of having more choices, in a way that beginners know about.

And like I said, ubuntu is easier than windows when it comes to changing themes, a total beginner just needs to see how to do it and then they'll realize how simple it is.

But you are correct when you say there is no "Features Tour", and maybe there should be something about theme change after the first install, or maybe a selector in the install process...

Maybe just have the Appearances app open right after the install with a note about how to change the themes/wallpapers/icons... showing them the various choices, while teaching them how to do it their selves.

... or have a sticky in the Absolute Beginner section of the Ubuntu Forums with instructions and pictures for theme modification.

cank1090
October 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Just take a look at Apple's Mac OS X. Hell, they just know how to do it! Imho they have the best artwork around all OS: simple, elegant and yet so stylish! I don't want Ubuntu (Linux) to copy any design from any OS, but the ideas of simplicity, elegance and a modern look and feel should become elementary parts of Ubuntus artwork! Therefore, the default brown scheme is way to boring and looks like 1996 or so. This is the totally opposite to the stylish "bling" effects by Compiz Fusion :). My choice of color scheme would definately be something about black/silver, with some nice but discrete milky, glossy and shiny look.

LuisAugusto
October 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM
It's true that beauty is subjective.

However, there are things that people find nice by default.
I'm studing photo, and you can bet that there are a lot of things people like in common, they may like it less, or more, but they find it enjoyable.

How do you find those things? There is something called Visual Art Disignerr, which stuided a lot of human expression in a subject called History of Art.

How many people did you find saying:

-Mac OS X look sucks and it looks like poo
-Windows Vista look makes me wanna puke

Hmm, I bet they won't be many.

Why? They have nice grpahical designers, while Ubu doesn't. It's that plain simple.

DjBones
October 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I don't mind the color as much, its different than the other hundreds of linux distro's out there lol..

but i kinda get the impression that with OS X's blue icons and Vista's fancy ones.. the cartoonish icons of default ubuntu seem somewhat behind.
they should make the white-glass mouse default.. its pretty sleek lol
most of this could probably be resolved by packaging ubuntu with more default themes besides clearlooks and some other .. 'meh' themes haha

Rui Pais
October 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
It's true that beauty is subjective.

However, there are things that people find nice by default.
I'm studing photo, and you can bet that there are a lot of things people like in common, they may like it less, or more, but they find it enjoyable.

How do you find those things? There is something called Visual Art Disignerr, which stuided a lot of human expression in a subject called History of Art.

-Windows Vista look makes me wanna puke

Hmm, I bet they won't be many.

Why? They have nice grpahical designers, while Ubu doesn't. It's that plain simple.

Can you count me?

MacOS mixed blue crystal with polished metal, is what in my mind should be the decoration of prostitution houses specialized in sado-masochism, frequented by over painted women and over perfumed men wearing too much jewelery buy it and cheap shops of shopping centers.

Windows Vista looks like a bad and limited compiz theme, altough better then the previous XP, that looked like a retarted tele-tubies show that even children wanna puke.

Taste is cultivated. Beauty is subjective.
Graphical designers are not engineers, don't make some calculus with precision, right or wrong. They are just specialized artists with they own taste (the great majority of the ones i know not very good, btw).
Thats why there are always schools, movements, theories... Try mix Mariscal with Aalto, or put a picture of Cameron in the middle of a Mapplethorpe exhibition... not really good, ah? Are those bad artist? No, they will be only out of context.
Blue, grey, silver is out of context on an Ubuntu color scheme. Thats all.

oomingmak
October 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I think the brown is fine. It's certainly distinctive.

What I would absolutely hate is if the theme was changed to blue or black. I am sick to death of OS themes using those colours.

Blue OS themes in particular are so tired and unimaginative.

oomingmak
October 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Me, for one.

I hate the look of Mac OS X.

Perpetual
October 27th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I think the brown is fine. It's certainly distinctive.

What I would absolutely hate is if the theme was changed to blue or black. I am sick to death of OS themes using those colours.

Blue OS themes in particular are so tired and unimaginative.

/me agrees

LuisAugusto
October 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Dah, here they could come one hundred saying they dislike Windows Vista and OS X look, however, why you don't take a screenshot to each one, and then go to the street and ask people which is one is the better and worst.

You are just blind because of fanaticsm.

cank1090
October 28th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Dah, here they could come one hundred saying they dislike Windows Vista and OS X look, however, why you don't take a screenshot to each one, and then go to the street and ask people which is one is the better and worst.

You are just blind because of fanaticsm.

There is some serious truth in what you say. I hear many people saying that Vista or OS X look is great/fantastic/stunning, whatsoever. But I dind't heard anyone saying this about Ubuntu's default look. Not one single person! The only positive comments about Ubuntu's look that I hear is something like "Ohh yeah, it's nice" or "Hmm yes it kinda represents the humanity of Ubuntu". But thats out of date. Ubuntu is not a painting, it's an OS! If it really wants to compete with the two major Desktop OS succesfully, it has to improve its default theme, because that's what makes the "look and feel" of an OS. And due to the fact that we don't live in the ages of commando based OS any more, the "look and feel" is a major part of a graphical user interface. Considering this, Ubuntu is far behind Vista and OS X.

Perpetual
October 28th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I personally have never decided on an OS because of it's appearance. If so, I wouldn't choose Ubuntu and I would guess that most people wouldn't. With that said, choosing an OS by it's appearance is sorta like buying a book because it has a cool cover, regardless of how bad the story sucks.

I feel this is getting blown out of proportion a bit...

Crafty Kisses
October 28th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Guys,

When showing it to my friends, one of the most popular comments is - "eh, looks good, except for the Brown windows". And I'm not alone - I've seen lots of people make the same content on their blogs. Also, if you guys search on the internet, most of the people that are recommending others to use ubuntu also strongly recommend to get others themes...

So I wanna know what you think about it - stick with the brown-orange shades, or move to something else ?

Please, note you can choose more than one option on the pool !!

I personally like it!

LuisAugusto
October 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I personally have never decided on an OS because of it's appearance. If so, I wouldn't choose Ubuntu and I would guess that most people wouldn't. With that said, choosing an OS by it's appearance is sorta like buying a book because it has a cool cover, regardless of how bad the story sucks.

I feel this is getting blown out of proportion a bit...

Pretty is a feature. And for end-users, it's quite and important feature.

Like in women, there a lot of things that are more important than external beauty, but, if she is pretty, it's even better, isn't it?

Perpetual
October 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Pretty is a feature. And for end-users, it's quite and important feature.

Like in women, there a lot of things that are more important than external beauty, but, if she is pretty, it's even better, isn't it?

Can't live years with pretty alone :)

But indeed, it helps!

Crafty Kisses
October 28th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Can't live years with pretty alone :)

But indeed, it helps!

:)

Rui Pais
October 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Uauu...
what's this?
going to the streets showing pics of OS? are we talk of some weird religion? Accusations of fanaticism in fanatical tones?

sexist comparisons? What looks of women (and why women specifically) had to do with default look of a desktop environment?
I didn't even understand why people mention gf's dislikes. What this have to do with the subject?

This topic has lost any seriousness that it may have at start. I'm unsubscribe from it.

Irony
October 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Irony,

Yes I'm sure that a person who is smart enough to install an operating system would be too stupid to figure out how to alter the colour themes afterwards - far better to add it in as an irritating and delaying measure during the actual install.

LuisAugusto
October 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Uauu...
what's this?
going to the streets showing pics of OS? are we talk of some weird religion? Accusations of fanaticism in fanatical tones?

Didn't you understand the point? And,anyway, Why does it is bad? Don't you know something, how they are called, mmm, Market studies?

sexist comparisons? What looks of women (and why women specifically) had to do with default look of a desktop environment?
I didn't even understand why people mention gf's dislikes. What this have to do with the subject?

If you can't see the analogy then you're quite slow O_o I could use men, dogs, or whatever. I just used women because I'm a man and most people here are, so it's something most of us have in common ;)

This topic has lost any seriousness that it may have at start. I'm unsubscribe from it.

Why in the world I bother answering you? :P

rfurman24
November 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM
My biggest concern with the default themes has less to do with the color and more to do with the ugly gray of the two bars and the menus and the window colors. I personally feel that the vistaish themes on gnome-look are awesome. I really do not want them to copy Vista but get rid of the plain flat boring colors. Gloss it up a little.

Perpetual
November 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
My biggest concern with the default themes has less to do with the color and more to do with the ugly gray of the two bars and the menus and the window colors. I personally feel that the vistaish themes on gnome-look are awesome. I really do not want them to copy Vista but get rid of the plain flat boring colors. Gloss it up a little.

PERSONALLY, in my opinion, I can't stand glossy and prefer a matte/flat window border, panel, etcetera. Everyone is doing glossy and I think it's on it's downhill slide now.

mech7
November 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
i prefer grey or black.. or blue but not brown

rfurman24
November 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
PERSONALLY, in my opinion, I can't stand glossy and prefer a matte/flat window border, panel, etcetera. Everyone is doing glossy and I think it's on it's downhill slide now.

I totally respect your opinion but we have been looking at boring flat colors since computers came about. In the end I guess the default does not matter much to me as I would probably change it no matter what.

wladston
November 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
rfurman, see ? Everybody has a unique taste, and THAT shall be taken in consideration...

Changing the themes are easy, if they are pre-installed, and the end-ser knows that they exist ... else ...

Gremlinzzz
November 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Theres no real need too change default theme most Linux users like to tweak there own theme.

por100pre1
November 7th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Theres no real need too change default theme most Linux users like to tweak there own theme.

Yes, there's no need to change it. BTW, that desktop looks great! :)

smartboyathome
November 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Yes, there's no need to change it. BTW, that desktop looks great! :)

It is what people SEE when they first see Ubuntu, though.

Linuxratty
November 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I like the brown, though it looks more orange to me.

Adding an option during install would simply add an irritating step to the install.

I like the brown theme for in the fall. It goes well with a desktop of trees changing colors...Other colors should be provided for other times of the year and they are there already...A little poking around and the theme is easy to change in both Gnome and KDE.

doppis
November 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
What's wrong with brown? :(

LuisAugusto
November 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM
What's wrong with brown? :(

Brown is bad color for any product wanting a nice image, because, by it's own nature, it tends to be boring, too simple, it reminds of death, and it gives an "old" product feeling.

Orange, it's a more living/vivid color ("Colores Vivos" it's an Spanish expression, and I'm not sure if is it used on English) and black, well, it doesn't need presentation.

kvonb
November 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Surely it's not important if you like/dislike it, the main thing is that it is a rolling standard.

It certainly sets Ubuntu apart from all the other "blue" O/Ss, as soon as you see the brown desktop, you know it's Ubuntu!

I mean, who in their right mind would go out of their way to create a brown desktop?

The main thing is that you can do whatever you want with it, you can have yellow and green flouro spots all over your screen if you so desire!

It's a trademark, love it or loathe it, you recognise it straight away!

tashmooclam
November 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I like the brown on one of my laptops, it's displayed a bit differently on each computer. On another, the color of an empty field is pinkish not a brown shade, which looks pretty ugly.
I have a lighter brown desktop, I found a couple of them at gnome-look.org.
One I like is "suede"
Another is a girl and a brown background "vector".
I only dislike that orange colored progress bar in the default Ubuntu human theme.
I like the "human" icons the best also.

khurrum1990
November 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I think Ubuntu Linux is quite popular already. I don't care about the color of the theme by default but it should look good and currently all pre-installed themes suck.

shae
November 8th, 2007, 07:45 AM
The default look of Ubuntu is excellent as a marketing tool. Anytime you see it, you know it is Ubuntu. I even do not mind it too much, but my preferences are blue or green. I do not think it should be default. Installing themes is easy and anyone should customize their theme as they like.
My look: Ubuntu 7.10, Gnome with xfwm4 and kiba-dock Screenshot Here (http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4940/screenshotpy0.png)

eragon100
September 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
As we feared, phoronix confirms that his abomination is actually the intrepid default wallpaper:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc1NA

hessiess
September 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
if you dont like it, cxhange it. thats the beauty of linux;)

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't understand why anyone would care about the default look; especially the wallpaper. That's the easiest part to change (and changing the rest is pretty easy as well).

lukjad007
September 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Ewww! I really don't like it. I mean, it's okay... but not great or even really good. I know it is easy to change, but I really like the Hardy Heron wallpaper, it just was a pleasent start off point for the new user. It at least looked like something.

regomodo
September 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
#

Dr Small
September 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM
The wallpaper looks, hmm, choppy, I guess the word is. I don't like it, but I never kept the default wallpapers on anyhow, so it's not a real big deal.

Dragonbite
September 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I propose we should petition to make this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=930865)the default theme!

Gutt
September 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It's not a big deal, but it's still doesn't look any good :-P .

Dr Small
September 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I propose we should petition to make this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=930865)the default theme!
I say... let's not.

Barrucadu
September 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
It's ok, but not as good as the Hardy wallpaper.

Gutt
September 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I say... let's not.

Why not? It's more original :D !

artir
September 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Canonical will change it. I'm sure.
Get the attached wallpapah! (Made by Rico Sta. Cruz )
Other versions: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5184/ibexvz6.png
In HiRes http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3098/ibex1920x1440nc9.jpg

Fixman
September 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
It was gonna be on Hardy...it wasn't.
It was gonna be on Intrepid...it wasn't (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc1NA).

Why must I change that ugly theme each time I install Ubuntu?

b3n87
September 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I was kind of hoping for a complete head to toe revamp, which was suppose to happen in Hardy, but got pushed to Ibex. But apparently not?

bobbocanfly
September 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
@People who dont like it: Change it when it is released, or if you are cool, go help the Art team

@People wanting a complete redesign: Please talk to the art team about helping out in any way you can.

@People who like it/are sensible enough not too care because they will just change it anyway: Good on you!

cardinals_fan
September 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Oh dear. Those ten seconds really hurt, don't they? ;)

Fixman
September 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM

I'm not so good with Ubuntu, I take 15 seconds to do it. That is a pain.
And, otherwise, Ubuntu is shown everywhere with that theme.

b3n87
September 30th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Its not the point on how quick it is to change it, nor that we have the CHOICE to change it. (and not that we are owed the RIGHT to have it changed) it is just gonna be really nice to see what the Art team really have up their sleeve thats all. There was a lot of hype when it was announced that hardy was gonna have a revamp

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
@People who dont like it: Change it when it is released, or if you are cool, go help the Art team

We are perfectly aware that you are able to change the desktop wallpaper, but it is about making a good first impression is it not? Like someone posted, there is a beautiful wallpaper roaming the Art team maillist that most have said they preferred. So it is not choices that is the problem. God knows what it is.

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Normal people pick from the looks, wouldn't we like to appeal to them? ;)

bobbocanfly
September 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
We are perfectly aware that you are able to change the desktop wallpaper, but it is about making a good first impression is it not? Like someone posted, there is a beautiful wallpaper roaming the Art team maillist that most have said they preferred. So it is not choices that is the problem. God knows what it is.

Then take the second part of my quote into account. Go and tell the art team mailing list you prefer it. The more people do that, the more it is likely to change.

(Sorry if im sounding like a d*ck, just as an Ubuntu developer it can get pretty annoying reading people whinging about things not working, but not actually even trying to help get them fixed)

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Then take the second part of my quote into account. Go and tell the art team mailing list you prefer it. The more people do that, the more it is likely to change.

(Sorry if im sounding like a d*ck, just as an Ubuntu developer it can get pretty annoying reading people whinging about things not working, but not actually even trying to help get them fixed)

Are the devs not reading the forums like you? Its quite thick with threads in here with opinions about the new wallpaper.

bobbocanfly
September 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Are the devs not reading the forums like you? Its quite thick with threads in here with opinions about the new wallpaper.

No, most devs just idle on IRC and read mailing lists. Most of them are too busy with real life + ubuntu + any other oss stuff they do to browse the forums. It would be much handier if a lot more of the devs browsed here to get the general feeling of the masses, but other than appoint someone to ferry information between the forums and the core developers, there isnt a great deal we can do.

Im sure if more devs + desktop team + art team browsed here, the wallpaper would be changed extremely quickly!

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
No, most devs just idle on IRC and read mailing lists. Most of them are too busy with real life + ubuntu + any other oss stuff they do to browse the forums. It would be much handier if a lot more of the devs browsed here to get the general feeling of the masses, but other than appoint someone to ferry information between the forums and the core developers, there isnt a great deal we can do.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Therion
September 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
As if ANY dev-team could EVER come up with a single design that would please everyone.

Bungo Pony
September 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Well that tears it. I'm officially avoiding Ibex! :D

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
As if ANY dev-team could EVER come up with a single design that would please everyone.

We are maybe talking like 80% instead of 10%.

Therion
September 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
We are maybe talking like 80% instead of 10%.
As if ANY dev-team could EVER come up with a single design that would please "like 80%" of everyone.

/pipe dream

cardinals_fan
September 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Normal people pick from the looks, wouldn't we like to appeal to them? ;)
If the default wallpaper plays a major role in someone's choice of OS, I seriously doubt if they are capable of installing/configuring any OS.

Dr Small
September 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Maybe Intrepid's wallpaper should be "bliss".

mikewhatever
September 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM

Awesome!:lolflag:

boobuntu
September 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm not so good with Ubuntu, I take 15 seconds to do it. That is a pain.
And, otherwise, Ubuntu is shown everywhere with that theme.

Hey! Some people like poop brown :P

smoker
September 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
maybe they don't want to attract 'too many' new users :-)

earthpigg
If the default wallpaper plays a major role in someone's choice of OS, I seriously doubt if they are capable of installing/configuring any OS.

~plenty~ of grandmothers go out and buy brand new computers and leave everything about the computer in the default setup. generally, this results in a crap ton of (windows) malware and viruses that grandson has to come and fix.... but grandma still picks the entire computer she buys based off of what the OS looks like at the in-store display.

or am i the only one that has noticed that Dell's default mini 9 UI has a different colored taskbar and background? lord knows, dell knows more about marketing than most of us...

olskar

We are not talking about wallpapers, we are talking about a complete redesign and all that comes with that. Simply a better user experience, and yes user experience plays a role when choosing OS :)

Fixman
September 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hey! Some people like poop brown :P

You are right, only these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatophilia) people like Ubuntu's main theme.

olskar
September 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
maybe they don't want to attract 'too many' new users :-)

Ah, we have a conspiracy theory? ;)

olskar
September 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
You are right, only these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatophilia) people like Ubuntu's main theme.

Haha, +1

Dr Small
September 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Ah, we have a conspiracy theory? ;)
There is nothing wrong with a conspiracy. I am a conspirator myself ;)

jespdj
September 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The new wallpaper and no change at all in the rest of the default theme in Intrepid is disappointing.

@People wanting a complete redesign: Please talk to the art team about helping out in any way you can.
Ok, but I can't imagine that the Art team did not produce anything but a new, simple, boring wallpaper with some circles since the release of 8.04.

Where have all the proposals of the Art team gone? Why wasn't a better wallpaper and theme selected for Intrepid?

master5o1
September 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
It was gonna be on Hardy...it wasn't.
It was gonna be on Intrepid...is wasn't (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc1NA).

Ugly? I don't like any other theme BUT Human.

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
As if ANY dev-team could EVER come up with a single design that would please "like 80%" of everyone.

/pipe dream

There is a difference between so good that you won't switch it and just visually pleasing. I think the Hardy wallpaper was the last one. People liked it even if they had another they would change it into.

techmarks
September 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Usually you get retorts like that,

it takes a few seconds to change it,
it should not matter to people,

well you can just turn that around to the designers could you not??

it takes a few seconds to change it,
it should not matter so much to the developers to make the change,

why?

because alot of people do find the default Ubuntu theme displeasing, unimaginative, lacking sense, and downright ugly.

semitone36
September 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
No, most devs just idle on IRC and read mailing lists. Most of them are too busy with real life + ubuntu + any other oss stuff they do to browse the forums.

Then you are one of a kind. Thank you for taking the time to come here:)

cardinals_fan
September 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM
~plenty~ of grandmothers go out and buy brand new computers and leave everything about the computer in the default setup. generally, this results in a crap ton of (windows) malware and viruses that grandson has to come and fix.... but grandma still picks the entire computer she buys based off of what the OS looks like at the in-store display.

or am i the only one that has noticed that Dell's default mini 9 UI has a different colored taskbar and background? lord knows, dell knows more about marketing than most of us...
OEMs can (and do) change the wallpaper before selling any OS. The default is irrelevant in those cases.

We are not talking about wallpapers, we are talking about a complete redesign and all that comes with that. Simply a better user experience, and yes user experience plays a role when choosing OS :)
I never heard about any plans to completely redesign GNOME. A new theme is not a complete redesign.

plun
September 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Well... now this wallpaper is horrible.

gnome-wallpapers for ver 2.24 includes some alive wallpapers.

Just my opinion...

porchrat
September 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM

With that horrible theme...10 seconds is an ETERNITY!!!

FuturePilot
September 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
meh I really don't care. If someone is going to not use Ubuntu because they say it looks ugly, then that's a pretty poor reason to not use Ubuntu. Especially considering how easy it is to change the theme and wallpaper and icons compared to other OSes.

The new Gnome wallpapers are awesome though.

bruce89
September 30th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I never heard about any plans to completely redesign GNOME. A new theme is not a complete redesign.

Even GNOME 3.0 is going to be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Icehuck
September 30th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Im sure if more devs + desktop team + art team browsed here, the wallpaper would be changed extremely quickly!

I'm not trying to put anyone down, but if the community resides mostly on the forums and not the mailing list aren't they isolating themselves from the community? If Ubuntu is for the people then it would behoove the developers to go where the people are, not vice versa?

smoker
September 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
i don't know if any polls have been done, but i'll bet a good percentage of users change the theme within a matter of hours! it's no great chore, though, part of the post-install process for me.

pp.
September 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
alot of people do find the default Ubuntu theme displeasing, unimaginative, lacking sense, and downright ugly.

Alotof people do not find so, or find it utterly irrelevant.

Mazza558
September 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
As much as people here don't want to admit it, the theme Ubuntu uses will influence people's very first impressions of it. The more professional the default setup looks, the more confident new users will be. This is not about the fact that experienced users can change the theme - experienced users will not care.

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Well that tears it. I'm officially avoiding Ibex! :D

What a goofy reason to avoid a new release.

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Alotof people do not find so, or find it utterly irrelevant.

i don't know if any polls have been done, but i'll bet a good percentage of users change the theme within a matter of hours! it's no great chore, though, part of the post-install process for me.

Though I agree with the first one, I would like to find out what the majority thinks.

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What a goofy reason to avoid a new release.

I think you didn't catch his sarcasm.

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
D'oh ](*,)

uberdonkey5
September 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
ok, I hate moving 3d cubes and all the other wastes of processing power...

however, ubuntu as it is LOOKS CHEAP

it looks second rate. Out of the box windows looks much better.

I think we can get a unique, pretty, clean look (like my desktop) without copying windows.

HOWEVER, I suggested in another post (since the themes are already available on ubuntu) that there is a winbuntu version, which looks like windows, has codecs, has best equivalent software to windows, but is ubuntu. This would help people adjust to ubuntu, and before you know it they will be wasting their time with rotating compiz cubes.

Swarms
September 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
ok, I hate moving 3d cubes and all the other wastes of processing power...

however, ubuntu as it is LOOKS CHEAP

it looks second rate. Out of the box windows looks much better.

I think we can get a unique, pretty, clean look (like my desktop) without copying windows.

HOWEVER, I suggested in another post (since the themes are already available on ubuntu) that there is a winbuntu version, which looks like windows, has codecs, has best equivalent software to windows, but is ubuntu. This would help people adjust to ubuntu, and before you know it they will be wasting their time with rotating compiz cubes.

I think you are right about Ubuntu looking cheap. But a winbuntu would just confuse people let's continue steering our own way but still focus on improving the visual situation.

plun
September 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
meh I really don't care. If someone is going to not use Ubuntu because they say it looks ugly, then that's a pretty poor reason to not use Ubuntu. Especially considering how easy it is to change the theme and wallpaper and icons compared to other OSes.

Well... Ubuntu is "main stream" now and magazines all over the world publish news about Ubuntu.

Why ruin those news with a terrible desktop..:confused:

"Its brown and the most horrible wallpaper we ever seen..." just sad...

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
To all the people talking about attracting new users: why does it mater so much for you? Isn't Ubuntu/Linux working great for you already?

The only seniors I know who have computers either an older computer someone gave for them, or have someone else (such as a son or daughter) pick it out for them.

techmarks
September 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Trying to look like windows is also a bad idea.

I consider Ubuntu to be a cutting edge modern OS.

But indeed it does look just cheap.

No default theme is going to please everyone.

But one that looks dark and depressing, and cheap, is not
presenting a good image.

After all Ubuntu has situated itself
as a graphical desktop, well they should put more care into the
default graphics.

olskar
September 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Brown is not a very happy colour..

http://www.creativebehavior.com/index.php?PID=42

m10
September 30th, 2008, 10:45 PM
i agree that they definitely *should* put a better wallpaper as default..
and then the promised theme change, where is it?
i wouldn't have mind if they didn't tell us that it would happen (theme change)
and didn't mark say that they want to mimic more the Macs? with their policed interfaces? well..

anyway we are still in beta and everything may change.. let's hope for the best..

cardinals_fan
September 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM

http://www.creativebehavior.com/index.php?PID=42
Brown isn't on that list. Nice.

pp.
September 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM

That's why chocolate is sold in every conceivable colour except brown. Also, food stores traditionally refuse to sell nuts or dates of every description because their brownish colour evokes disgust in customers wanting to buy clean foodstuff.

olskar
September 30th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Brown isn't on that list. Nice.

No. It is not, but how do you feel about brown?

cardinals_fan
September 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
No. It is not, but how do you feel about brown?
Brown is calming and natural.

olskar
September 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Yeah, I tend to forget that taste and themes are almost impossible to discuss since every person has his/her own favorites :)

chris4585
September 30th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I personally love the brown colors, if I had it my way.. We'd still use the (feisty?) wallpaper dawn of ubuntu... I love that one, even though its not brown, but my favorite is Gutsy's default wallpaper

wolfen69
September 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Out of the box windows looks much better.

says you.

klange
September 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Just like that massive s*** I just took...

IMO: Pastels are the way to go.

zekopeko
September 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
i thought they would start making wallpapers of the animal that's in the name of the distro. that would be cool especially when you mix different drawing styles. now that would rock.

keiichidono
September 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I personally think the wallpaper is lackluster and even though we could change it later on, first appearances are important too. People say that there are better choices out there then suggest them to the Art Team, don't know how? Ask people how. I personally know of two better choices of wallpaper that have an Ibex in them and should be released under a compatible license that were made for Intrepid. I also hope to see a new and amazing theme in this week's beta.

graabein
September 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Incredible... Is this some kind of joke?

klange
September 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM

I can.
Just use this SVG:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<svg xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.0" width="1920" height="1080" id="svg2">
<rect width="1920" height="1080" x="0" y="0" id="rect0" style="opacity:1;fill:#888888;fill-opacity:1;" />
</svg>

Mulenmar
October 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM

Talk about getting the real poop on the situation. :roll:

How about giving a CHOICE during setup of:
"Would you like to choose a wallpaper or theme?"

with a preview function?

Ozor Mox
October 1st, 2008, 12:38 AM
OK firstly I am someone who normally likes the Ubuntu default look. I particularly liked the 8.04 wallpaper, very artistic and different while using Ubuntu's colours well.

This though... It's not that it's any trouble to change. Everyone here knows you can change the whole look with just a few clicks. What is so disappointing here is firstly that this is such a step back from 8.04, and secondly that the community has produced wallpapers that are so much better it is untrue. Just take a look in this thread or the other one about the Ibex wallpaper. Really, what are they thinking going with this over the beautiful alternatives that could be chosen?

This has nothing to do with how easy it is to change, it has to do with why this thing has been chosen over much nicer looking alternatives.

And really, I don't usually have a problem with stuff like this :)

sicofante
October 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
I guess Mr. Shuttleworth hasn't hired that professional art team yet, huh?

Awful background. Awful first impression. I cross my fingers this is just beta and won't make it through the final release.

SomeGuyDude
October 1st, 2008, 01:07 AM
I don't understand why anyone would care about the default look; especially the wallpaper. That's the easiest part to change (and changing the rest is pretty easy as well).

Because the default look is key in getting people to convert from Windows. Yeah you can customize it, but people shouldn't feel like "well if I get that it's going to look like *** unless I work at it." Think about how many Windows users don't change a thing, even the wallpaper. If it looks bad, they're going to feel apprehensive.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 01:14 AM
Because the default look is key in getting people to convert from Windows. Yeah you can customize it, but people shouldn't feel like "well if I get that it's going to look like *** unless I work at it." Think about how many Windows users don't change a thing, even the wallpaper. If it looks bad, they're going to feel apprehensive.
As I've said before, being willing to change the wallpaper is a prerequisite to installing Ubuntu. If someone don't have that much initiative, they certainly don't have enough to handle installing an OS.

Dr Small
October 1st, 2008, 01:17 AM
As I've said before, being willing to change the wallpaper is a prerequisite to installing Ubuntu. If someone don't have that much initiative, they certainly don't have enough to handle installing an OS.
Lucky me. I don't have to worry about wallpapers when installing :)

Fixman
October 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Added poll.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 01:31 AM
Lucky me. I don't have to worry about wallpapers when installing :)
Indeed. A key advantage of minimal systems such as Arch and NetBSD :)

chris4585
October 1st, 2008, 01:40 AM
You know what I'd like?

Something brown, and not the current default for the wallpaper, and something new would be nice... I suggest this (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/OrangeLiNstaBlackPlastic?content=62434) for a theme, I know nothing like it would be a default though, nor ever included in the desktop

Vadi
October 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM
I am disappointed. Not because I can't change it - but because of the impressions others.

its_jon
October 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM
That circle wallpaper looks very hammy to me.

As 8.04 is my first Linux.... The Heron paper probably intrigued me enough to make the choice to fully install ...

Of course it was quickly changed..... but that circle paper is anything but intriguing ... its unadventurous ... And setting up a brand new OS is VERY much an adventure.

Think on..... don't use this wallpaper in the distro.

K.Mandla
October 1st, 2008, 01:46 AM
As we feared, phoronix confirms that his abomination is actually the intrepid default wallpaper:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc1NA

Omigosh! You mean that's the wallpaper and you can't change it?! That is a tragedy! :shock:

Oh wait, you mean you can change it? Oh. Well then. Crisis averted.

bruce89
October 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
That circle wallpaper looks very hammy to me.

Doesn't look much like a hamster to me.

SSVegito888
October 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
I don't really like the Ubuntu wallapaers either.

Check this site out for some pretty sweet wallpapers.

Once on the page click your monitor resolution.

If your resolution is not listed try one close to it.

Remember, you can always resize it using gimp.

http://www.williamshottsphotography.com/Wallpapers (http://www.williamshottsphotography.com/Wallpapers)

PS: I don't own these wallpapers.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 01:48 AM
How about giving a CHOICE during setup of:
"Would you like to choose a wallpaper or theme?"

with a preview function?
Pardus has something like this.

You know what I'd like?

Something brown, and not the current default for the wallpaper, and something new would be nice... I suggest this (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/OrangeLiNstaBlackPlastic?content=62434) for a theme, I know nothing like it would be a default though, nor ever included in the desktop
That theme makes my eyes bleed...

RiceMonster
October 1st, 2008, 01:49 AM

So? I don't really care if they don't want to switch or not. It doesn't gain me anything, and if they're happy with Windows, then that's great for them.

doorknob60
October 1st, 2008, 02:08 AM
I'm fine with brown and the GTK theme, but Intrepid's wallpaper?!? Eew...I liked Hardy's wallpaper though, it was nice.

SomeGuyDude
October 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM

What about preloaded machines? Aren't you telling people who might be enticed into buying a Dell with Ubuntu on it that they should cram it because they don't pass the entrance exam? People don't generally install Windows either; it's just there. Unless you think Ubuntu (and, by extension, all the others) should never come preloaded.

Also, what's wrong with making a good first impression? If it didn't matter at all, there wouldn't be a new wallpaper or theme, they'd just have a plain brown image on the back and a boring GTK theme with block icons. There's a good reason default themes are a big part of each new version.

Fact: the world is not going to drift toward the Linux mentality of "get in there and do it". Ubuntu is more popular than Arch because a lot of people want to have things running with a minimum of effort on their end. We can't assume that in order to get into things they "must" be willing to do something or other.

Think about this: when you show off what Ubuntu is capable of, someone is going to want it, and will want it to look like that when they buy it. Telling someone "yeah it's awesome isn't it? All you gotta do is install Compiz Fusion, and then do this in the settings, and then install Conky and make this big configuration file, then you gotta install this other thing and do this to it..." is going to go over like a lead balloon.

Initial impressions are huge when it comes to pushing your way into a market, and "big 'n' brown" isn't going to cut it. Blue is unpopular because people associate it with Windows, but psychologically it's a calming color. At least Canonical put in different sounds. "Jungle drums" wasn't working.

SomeGuyDude
October 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM
So? I don't really care if they don't want to switch or not. It doesn't gain me anything, and if they're happy with Windows, then that's great for them.

Yes. Yes it does.

If Ubuntu smashed its way into the preloaded machine world and Dell/HP/Toshiba had huge sales with Ubuntu on 'em, you can bet that the project would benefit greatly. One of the reasons Ubuntu is great as it stands is the gigantic community around it, it'll only get better the more is added.

One reason, for example, I love Ubuntu is the repos. While it's not too hard to compile, you have to find it, make sure you've got dependencies taken care of, and it doesn't update for you. Something's in the repos and bam, updates and effortless installation/removal. Without the massive support behind the project, would those resources be available? Of course not, the devs would have no reason.

TheSlipstream
October 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM
I'm just annoyed because soon the default screenshot is going to be on every computer website and magazine in the world, and choosing a nicer theme and wallpaper would make it that much more appealing to the thousands who will soon consider changing to Linux.

It takes us a matter of seconds to change. Everything the art team needs is theirs, they have a better 'Ibex on Wood' wallpaper, they have the Kin theme, they could spend those seconds. The difference between us doing that and them doing that is that many possible Linux users will see their handy work, but not ours.

Keep your promise, Canonical.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM
What about preloaded machines? Aren't you telling people who might be enticed into buying a Dell with Ubuntu on it that they should cram it because they don't pass the entrance exam? People don't generally install Windows either; it's just there. Unless you think Ubuntu (and, by extension, all the others) should never come preloaded.

Most OEMs ship with a custom wallpaper anyway.

Yes. Yes it does.

If Ubuntu smashed its way into the preloaded machine world and Dell/HP/Toshiba had huge sales with Ubuntu on 'em, you can bet that the project would benefit greatly. One of the reasons Ubuntu is great as it stands is the gigantic community around it, it'll only get better the more is added.

One reason, for example, I love Ubuntu is the repos. While it's not too hard to compile, you have to find it, make sure you've got dependencies taken care of, and it doesn't update for you. Something's in the repos and bam, updates and effortless installation/removal. Without the massive support behind the project, would those resources be available? Of course not, the devs would have no reason.
The devs of Arch Linux have never tried to lure new users, yet they still have large repos supplemented by the Arch User Repository.

Dr Small
October 1st, 2008, 02:42 AM
The devs of Arch Linux have never tried to lure new users, yet they still have large repos supplemented by the Arch User Repository.

+1
You know, sometimes I don't get you. At times you are blasting ArchLinux, and other times you are literally defending it. Humm bug.

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 02:46 AM
+1
You know, sometimes I don't get you. At times you are blasting ArchLinux, and other times you are literally defending it. Humm bug.
I have never said that Arch is bad, evil, or poorly designed. It's a very good system with a great package manager and a friendly community. It also stays too close to the bleeding edge (I know this is debatable, but you can't deny that Arch's packages tend to be updated as soon as something is released) for me to use it as my main system. I'm currently dual-booting Arch and Slackware - Slack as my main system, and Arch for testing new stuff.

/off-topic

phrostbyte
October 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Who actually decides what the default wallpaper would be? Maybe there should be a vote instead?

Polygon
October 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM
the wallpaper was just a test, its not the final one

those screenshots were taken before the art deadline, the first beta should show the relatively 'final' theme for intrepid

Solicitous
October 1st, 2008, 04:14 AM
The theme now is looking better than it has in previous releases, but still isn't the best. The alternate-human theme is better. I'd at least prefer to see the brown be changed into shades of grey/gray. The default Kubuntu colour scheme looks more appealing and pleasing than Ubuntu's.

justsomedude
October 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM
I consider the default look of Gnome/Ubuntu to be a bug, and bugs need to be fixed.

The trouble is, there is no viable alternative available.

Can you find a nice wallpaper? Yes.

A nice gtk theme? Not so easy, but yes.

An alternative icon theme? This is where it gets troublesome, I claim there is no proper alternative available for the whole Tango icon set.

Sure, there are nice icons on gnome-look.org, but all the better looking icon themes either

-are incomplete. This applies to all of them, the whole stock icons for open office are 1000+ graphics alone, I have never seen someone even try to tackle those. Usually people do some folders, some device icons and some for the menus and call it a theme. And I don't blame them, a lot of these people work alone in their spare time. This is work for a whole team of designers.

-contain proprietary icons. While this may not be a problem for individual users, distributions can't ship those.

-scale badly. Instead of being properly designed for their display size, huge icons are often scaled down for the smaller sizes, which leads to blurry small icons.

Plus, there are a lot of pixmaps to be done etc...

A good, consistent, modern desktop with nice icons, gtk engine, wallpaper and pixmaps where everything is well balanced, usable and fits together well, will be a lot of work.

It's nothing some capable designers couldn't do in a couple of month though...
I have high hopes since the announcement Canonical would hire professionals. :)

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 05:48 AM
I really like the Tango icons. The orange version included in Ubuntu by default is a little weird, but the regular set is nice.

justsomedude
October 1st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Tango icons are very well done in terms of scalability and they are well thought out.

However, I think they look a little dated and it's time to part ways...

I've been working on a replacement for a couple of month now, but it will take several more month until I can get anything out in a usable state.

Plus, work like this should be left to pros, not dilletants like me. :D

DefiniteFail
October 1st, 2008, 07:30 AM

I usually sit at gnome-look for about a while before I find a matching theme that isn't cartoonish, and a icon set that is complete and matches my theme.

I like a theme that looks good by default, with a standard Icon set that looks good and is made to match that theme.

K.Mandla
October 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM