PDA

View Full Version : Nexenta OS (a/k/a GNU/OpenSolaris) borrows a bit "too much" from Ubuntu?

angrykeyboarder
November 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
I guess they do say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
but you'd think Nexenta could have, at the very least, come up with a
logo of their own?

Check this out:

http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/ScreenShots?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=gnusolaris-screenshot.jpg

OR

http://tinyurl.com/9hoor

if the above link doesn't work.

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Do you mean the logo on the update manager? Their packages are based on Ubuntu 5.10 so naturally the Ubuntu logo must have come along with the update manager package as well. Nexenta is in Alpha at the moment and they haven't reached the stage where they'll focus on overall polish and branding yet. In other terms, you're nitpicking.

Burgundavia
November 22nd, 2005, 08:41 AM
That is a mistake in the Update Manager. Ubuntu is designed to be as easy as possible to create derivatives from. This is a major goal of Marks.

Corey

angrykeyboarder
November 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Do you mean the logo on the update manager? Their packages are based on Ubuntu 5.10 so naturally the Ubuntu logo must have come along with the update manager package as well. Nexenta is in Alpha at the moment and they haven't reached the stage where they'll focus on overall polish and branding yet. In other terms, you're nitpicking.

I suppose. It stil looks a bit weird. If I were them, that's one screen shot I'd have skipped.

I mean, CentOS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux, with all the "Red Hat" pulled out...

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
And it's not a mistake on Ubuntu's part either; the update manager image is located in /usr/share/pixmaps/update-manager.png. It can easily be changed; it's just that the Nexenta people haven't got round to it yet. It's nothing one can make a big issue out of; anyone looking for fault in Nexenta should look elsewhere.

angrykeyboarder
November 22nd, 2005, 08:51 AM
That is a mistake in the Update Manager. Ubuntu is designed to be as easy as possible to create derivatives from. This is a major goal of Marks.

Corey

Oh I have no quibble with someone basing thier OS on all or part of Ubuntu, it just seems that the logo doesn't belong there and I'd have picked a different color. The rest of the Ubuntu stuff is cool (i.e. Debian for the Desktop, the way it should be ;-).

angrykeyboarder
November 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
And it's not a mistake on Ubuntu's part either; the update manager image is located in /usr/share/pixmaps/update-manager.png. It can easily be changed; it's just that the Nexenta people haven't got round to it yet. It's nothing one can make a big issue out of; anyone looking for fault in Nexenta should look elsewhere.

Chill. I wasn't "looking for" anything. In fact, prior to a few hours ago, I didn't even know that Nexenta existed.

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Chill. I wasn't "looking for" anything. In fact, prior to a few hours ago, I didn't even know that Nexenta existed.
Your speculative thread title and the tone of your first post suggested otherwise. No offense but maybe you should look a bit deeper into matters before getting all "angry" about them, especially those you've been aware of for a few hours.

uberlinux
November 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM
so is the purpose of that distro just to run a ubuntu clone on Sparc?
And why does it say 'debian gnu solaris', I mean, it's either debian or solaris, right?

angrykeyboarder
November 22nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
so is the purpose of that distro just to run a ubuntu clone on Sparc?
And why does it say 'debian gnu solaris', I mean, it's either debian or solaris, right?

There's no "Debian" in the name. It's "GNU/Solaris"

uberlinux
November 22nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
There's no "Debian" in the name. It's "GNU/Solaris" No, one of the screenshots of a splashcreen for something said "DEBIAN gnu/solaris"

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/495/4.gif

detyabozhye
January 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I bet that won't be there in the final.

Bandit
January 26th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Some one realy should email Mark so he can at least have his legal team monitor this.
I am sure they will change it, if they know what it is..
But still at the momment it is leagly a violation of trademark laws.
Cheers,
Bandit

Lord Illidan
January 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I guess, if this is just a preview, they will soon change it round..

Though, I agree.. from the screenshots, I thought I was looking at Ubuntu. Exactly the same, down to the brown theme!

Bandit
January 26th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I guess, if this is just a preview, they will soon change it round..

Though, I agree.. from the screenshots, I thought I was looking at Ubuntu. Exactly the same, down to the brown theme!
Yea, me too..... :D