PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have I FUBAR'd My Applications Menu?

robwilkerson
September 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I'm running the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and have been trying to get Crossover Office (again, the 64 bit version) installed. What I keep noticing is that, after installing Crossover and Office 2007, the menu items are never created for the Windows apps. More accurately, 5 menu items for each app get created, but all are just thrown in the "Other" menu and hidden by default.

In an effort to get menu items to appear, I tried something I saw in another forum thread that had me install menu and menu-xdg. I didn't notice any difference with respect to Crossover, but suddenly the population of my "Other" menu has exploded. It looks everything that I have installed has suddenly been given a menu item in that menu.

Is there anything I can do (short of reinstalling) to at least get back to where I started? Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated. I've got this thing pretty borked and loathe the thought of reinstalling the OS.

Thanks.

littletinman
September 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Go to menu-editor in the system preferences drop down. You can either de-select the entire 'other' menu list, or deselect it's contents individualy.

robwilkerson
September 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately, the more I try the further I descend into borkdom. Now I have exactly nothing in my Applications menu. If I look in the GUI, all of the top level directories exist, but aren't displayed because they have no content.

Any hope at all?