PDA

View Full Version : what should ubuntu have to make it perfect

amattheson
September 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
i want to make a custom linux distro based on ubuntu but i want to know what people want. so anyone just say what youd like such as built-in apps, tweaks, support(wifi cards, etc.), and look.

DrMega
September 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
i want to make a custom linux distro based on ubuntu but i want to know what people want. so anyone just say what youd like such as built-in apps, tweaks, support(wifi cards, etc.), and look.

No OS can ever be 'perfect' because what's good for one is not good for another. Watch this thread as an example. For me it would be great if there were lots of GUI wizards to help configure everything without neet of ever using the command line or editing a config file. I mean that, but I bet you someone will tell us that the command line is the best way to do stuff:)

amattheson
September 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
well i could have a gui to access all the files like xorg and stuff. i would do that if you promise you would try my os when its done

DrMega
September 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
well i could have a gui to access all the files like xorg and stuff. i would do that if you promise you would try my os when its done

There is already a GUI that you can install for xorg.conf. I can't remember what it is called just now but I'll have a look when I'm next on my home machine.

There are GUIs for many common tasks. You could incorporate them in your distro.

As for trying it, if you make it a LiveCD distro then I'll try it out. Feel free to PM me when it is ready.

amattheson
September 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
can you pm me the name of those guis when you can, thanks

SuperSonic4
September 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
VLC it's a far superior player.

eragon100
September 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
VLC instead of totem, definitely!

DrMega
September 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM
can you pm me the name of those guis when you can, thanks

Will do if I remember. If I haven't done so by the end of the week (I won't be at my home machine much over the next few days) then pm me to remind me.

VLC instead of totem, definitely!

I know many people love VLC, but for me it is not great. Sound quality seems degraded in VLC on my machines, and for video playback it seems that you are often stuck at the original image size, which is no good it it is something like 320 by 200.

I actually prefer Totem, but whenever I do an Ubuntu build I always uninstall the GStreamer version and put the Xine version on instead.

richg
September 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You will never find perfection. Maybe excellance but someone will complain about something. It is human nature to complain.

Rich

andras artois
September 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Stripped down to nearly barebones. Just include VLC, Firefox, Pidgen and the usual calculator etc BUT you should include all the multimedia codecs you can (video and audio) and as many essential drivers as possible (including sound and video cards). The sound problems commonly found could do with being ironed out with THIS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5587712&postcount=472). This way people most likely wouldn't have to mess around themselves with it. Possibly a basic word processor like Abiword or something as well. Support for most mp3 players would be nice as well.

This way the system will work almost perfectly (no problems with sound etc) as soon as it's been installed but it will also be able to be used straight away while still being lightweight so that it's a fast download and install and runs quickly from startup :)

A trouble, effort free install, as if they'll ever be such a thing.

russlar
September 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think a giant warning reading "THIS IS NOT WINDOWS! THIS DOES NOT WORK LIKE WINDOWS!" would be a good place to start. But, where that would probably scare off a good chunk of the user base, I'll settle for VLC installed by default :D

semitone36
September 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I dont know what the hype about VLC is. I can understand that it has good sound quality but I cant hear the difference. Plus a spiffy interface is a lot more important to me.

If I were to create my own distro I would have MPlayer as the default. Its skinnable, reliable, and it always feels awesome when I show it to a Windows user and they ask how I made my windows media player look so cool lol.

amattheson
September 30th, 2008, 09:09 PM
how about Epiphany or Firefox

master5o1
September 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
NEITHER!

Ok, maybe VLC. But meh, I like Totem.

Compiz-git ... that's generally pre-release isn't it?
Skype! WTF! NOT BY DEFAULT!

chris4585
September 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
All I have to say is I can't stand VLC

DrMega
October 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not only in my dislike of VLC:) It is a good app, but there are plenty of better ones in my opinion.

When I used to use Windows as my OS on my media PC, I used VLC on that because it was considerably more stable than Windows Media Player, and I couldn't find many alternatives, but on a Linux box, VLC is lost in a sea of decent free media players.

qazwsx
October 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not only in my dislike of VLC:) It is a good app, but there are plenty of better ones in my opinion.

+1

Besides it uses QT4 nowadays. Not going to happen. For Ubuntu GTK and for Kubuntu QT3+QT4 (QT4 + Oxygen = very nice eye candy)

SirSigma
October 1st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Something better than Pidgin.