PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE vs Gnome - poweruser perspective?

tone33
September 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I know this has been hashed out over and over before, but I'm curious about power users/developers experiences with KDE vs Gnome on ubuntu. For my work I write code in .NET so I run Windows Server 2008, i like it better than Vista b/c it allows me to explore more of the server options... in other words I like the ability to fully customize my OS. But Server 2k8 still has a nice workstation/desktop feel to it (well, after some configuration). I just say that to give you an idea of what I am comfortable with, and what I like (although windows does have it's issues).

For all my non-work stuff i want to use linux. I'm after a similiar setup philosphy that I have w/Server2k8, and I am trying to decide between gnome and kde (don't think i want to install ubuntu server though). I want to use digikam and amarok (both kde), do a little programming i C, C++, maybe java, and some other languages.

So my questions are:

1) Which do you prefer - gnome? or kde?

2) Why?

3) From a power user perspective what are some particular advantages of one over the other?

littletinman
September 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
1. You can install both. But i prefer gnome, it seems to have fewer bugs (at least in my expirience) and i like the organization of the gnome environment.

2.see above.

3.see above. Less bugs in gnome, clearer, very clean.

tone33
September 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
from what i've found online it also seems that Gnome will run a little faster, and in my experience between Ubuntu and Kubuntu i think i agree.